Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2020, 06:48 AM   #1
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
BRAKE DRUM--red hot on trip

Got a warning from "Tire Minder" that had excessive pressure in right rear tire.

Stopped at rest and lowered pressure but found wheel rim and brake drum EXCESSIVELY hot. The other 3 wheels were ok and cool.

Stopped into a Goodyear truck place where they jacked up the wheel and checked the brake adjustment. Wheel turned with little resistance.

Now keep in mind we were on route 95 with very little brake usage. And before i left for the trip had a dealer do a full brake adjustment.

So i'm wondering one of two things.
1...... were the brakes OVER adjusted and did the brakes wear down to a point of normal .but after the Good Year truck place
(about another 50 miles) drum was still hot.

2.....is it possible electric brake in drum is getting power when the others are not.

ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:07 AM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Since someone worked on the brakes just before the trip I would start there. Definitely remove that wheel and drum and inspect. Also repack that wheel bearing.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:14 AM   #3
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
When you took the wheel off and inspected the brakes what did the show? While you were at at it how did teh bearings and how did the grease look?

What temperature difference did your laser thermometer show?
What temperature did it show for the excessively hot drum?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:26 AM   #4
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
wheel was not removed only tested for brake grabbing..... trying to get a local repair shop to make a house call (about 3 miles from campgraound)
Old 11-08-2020, 07:41 AM   #5
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
If the wheel spins freely, it sounds like a bearing/grease/ajustment issue.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:05 AM   #6
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Last trip I noticed a 20 degree difference (using infrared temp gun) between the right rear wheel and the others. Temperature readings taken inside of lug nuts.

Just took all 4 wheels off to check bearings and re-pack. Turns out that right rear outside bearing was scored and discolored. Replaced it. Taking trip next week, will track temps.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:26 AM   #7
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
Last trip I noticed a 20 degree difference (using infrared temp gun) between the right rear wheel and the others. Temperature readings taken inside of lug nuts.

Just took all 4 wheels off to check bearings and re-pack. Turns out that right rear outside bearing was scored and discolored. Replaced it. Taking trip next week, will track temps.
Not so sure I would worry about a 20 degree difference. I would think the difference between a correctly operating bearing and one that is running hot will be way more than 20 degrees
Old 11-08-2020, 09:43 AM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
First you said red hot then you pulled that back by saying excessively hot so I’m not sure how hot it was. It doesn’t take very much heat to ruin a bearing. If the bearings are discolored blue or brown you need to replace them. They aren’t as hard as they were and will go bad. They will first turn blue and as the temperature increases turn brown.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:17 AM   #9
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
First you said red hot then you pulled that back by saying excessively hot so I’m not sure how hot it was. It doesn’t take very much heat to ruin a bearing. If the bearings are discolored blue or brown you need to replace them. They aren’t as hard as they were and will go bad. They will first turn blue and as the temperature increases turn brown.
Lynwood
could not hold the drum it was so hot...... the other drums you could hold onto even though they were somewhat warm

also the tire rim was very hot as the drum heat transferred to it
Old 11-08-2020, 01:22 PM   #10
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I experienced a drum that hot some years ago when we had a failed bearing. Even with leather gloves on, I had to let it cool a bit before I was able to replace the races in the hub.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:35 PM   #11
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Not so sure I would worry about a 20 degree difference. I would think the difference between a correctly operating bearing and one that is running hot will be way more than 20 degrees
I read temperature on rim by the hub cover. Had to be a lot hotter inside.

I had wheels off to inspect/replace spring shackle bronze bushings and wet bolts (overdue). Decided to inspect brakes/bearings and re-pack them while it's "apart". Found the 1 bad bearing.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:31 AM   #12
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I thought your unit was relatively new, so I would assume you have the self adjusting brakes so no need to manually do anything there if that's the case. Mine are the Dexter Nev-R-Adjust. On mine, I found the right rear brake wiring inside the drum had not been secured correctly and had twisted around the spindle. Broke the magnet and assembly that holds it together. You really do need to pull the hub and see what's going on. I'm still thinking if it was that hot that the bearings are at issue, but inspecting the brakes would be smart too.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:40 AM   #13
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
I thought your unit was relatively new, so I would assume you have the self adjusting brakes so no need to manually do anything there if that's the case. Mine are the Dexter Nev-R-Adjust. On mine, I found the right rear brake wiring inside the drum had not been secured correctly and had twisted around the spindle. Broke the magnet and assembly that holds it together. You really do need to pull the hub and see what's going on. I'm still thinking if it was that hot that the bearings are at issue, but inspecting the brakes would be smart too.
i know .i am trying to find someone for service. I have done brake jobs and wheel bearings on cars..but alas on the road have no tools for it ....

with all the feedback and what i felt when the wheel was jacked up at goodyear truck service ....i am leaning heavily toward bearings.....

and yes the trailer is a 2021 montana high country with about only 3,000 miles on it
Old 11-15-2020, 03:49 PM   #14
beekeeper.va
Established Member

M.O.C. #11864
Had this happen to me on a trip to the northeast. TPMS alarmed on over-temp. Pulled the drum off along side the road. Brake shoe had come loose and was dragging and wearing metal to metal. Pulled off all the parts and cut the magnet wires. Went 2000 miles on three brakes w/o any problems.

Problem could be that or brake dragging due to maladjustment.

Not many tools needed to open and inspect. Screw driver and hammer to remove the bearing cover. Big nut better come off with little effort, barely finger tight. Might need a pair of pliers to loosen.

New rigs need to be checked when picked up, IMO. The guys that tow them from the factory see no point is using their vehicle's brakes to stop the trailer. They use the trailer brakes to stop your rig and theirs.
beekeeper.va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:27 AM   #15
drog55chev
Established Member

M.O.C. #24480
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
Got a warning from "Tire Minder" that had excessive pressure in right rear tire.

Stopped at rest and lowered pressure but found wheel rim and brake drum EXCESSIVELY hot. The other 3 wheels were ok and cool.

Stopped into a Goodyear truck place where they jacked up the wheel and checked the brake adjustment. Wheel turned with little resistance.

Now keep in mind we were on route 95 with very little brake usage. And before i left for the trip had a dealer do a full brake adjustment.

So i'm wondering one of two things.
1...... were the brakes OVER adjusted and did the brakes wear down to a point of normal .but after the Good Year truck place
(about another 50 miles) drum was still hot.

2.....is it possible electric brake in drum is getting power when the others are not.
A hand check or thermal meter is one thing. A TPMS is another. We have the TPMS on ours and with the PSI set at 110 PSI cold the temperature will go up to 130 PSI when running. That's 20 degrees and not a problem with these tires. However if the rim is super hot compared to the other three then that's another issue. I would assume the TPMS on that tire alone would be much more than 20 degrees difference if you drive any distance with a brake or bearing problem. Just my two cents.
drog55chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:34 PM   #16
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by drog55chev View Post
A hand check or thermal meter is one thing. A TPMS is another. We have the TPMS on ours and with the PSI set at 110 PSI cold the temperature will go up to 130 PSI when running. That's 20 degrees and not a problem with these tires. However if the rim is super hot compared to the other three then that's another issue. I would assume the TPMS on that tire alone would be much more than 20 degrees difference if you drive any distance with a brake or bearing problem. Just my two cents.
if you read the first post you will note that it was the "Tire Minder" TPMS that
warned me and saved my ass
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8-tire minder  .jpg
Views:	50
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	7809  
Old 11-16-2020, 10:43 PM   #17
drog55chev
Established Member

M.O.C. #24480
Quote:
if you read the first post you will note that it was the "Tire Minder" TPMS that
warned me and saved my ass
I apologize and I did read your post. For some reason someone else had said 20 degrees. I have Covid brain at the present time. It is a thing after having the virus. Your post didn't say how much more the pressure read. My Eeztire tpms normally goes 20 degrees over which is normal. For my information how much more was the pressure on that wheel. I assume a lot more than 20 degrees. I apologize again.

Duane
drog55chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:59 AM   #18
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by drog55chev View Post
That 20lb psi rise is kind of high I set mine to 96 psi and we usually get maybe about 107 according to "Tire Minder" usually 10 - 12 higher only
Old 11-17-2020, 10:36 AM   #19
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
That 20lb psi rise is kind of high I set mine to 96 psi and we usually get maybe about 107 according to "Tire Minder" usually 10 - 12 higher only
Must be normal because my Sailun tires will increase 110 to 130 also driving in the high heat with sun on them
Old 11-18-2020, 05:34 PM   #20
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
so after all the trouble ... my brake lining separated from the brake shoe and floated around in the drum cause by excessive heat.

600 miles from home

new right brakes and new drum
new left brakes ( so stopping does not pull with new verses older brakes

and a bill for $912.00

which to my joy keystone say they will fully reimburse

(waiting for my check)