Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2020, 06:48 PM   #1
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
If I don’t sell it...

Well I do have my unit up for sale and I do have several people “looking” but not holding my breath. I’m in no hurry to give it away either and we don’t have to sell it, but we are looking at something else. With that said I have a few questions maybe you guys can help me with.

1. With the current climate surrounding the election we may hold onto the unit and if we do that we want to install a propane generator. My unit is not gen prep. I think I need the stand and shroud (I think),which can be found on trekwood.

2. I can get either the 5500 or 6500 shipped directly to me. How does the unit link up to the iN·command system...?

3. I already have a transfer switch installed and wired to a plug up front so just the process of disconnecting from the plug and wiring to the generator.

Has anyone installed one of these..?

Thanks

Tony

2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:07 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Don’t sell it! The person who dies with the most toys wins.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:17 PM   #3
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Don’t sell it! The person who dies with the most toys wins.
Lynwood
Lol if I sold it I would get another one!!
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Old 09-17-2020, 07:34 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Then I’ll be ahead of you. I have 2 campers.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:42 PM   #5
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
My pockets aren’t that deep !! Lol. You win.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:50 PM   #6
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
As you well know, propane built in gennys are very $$$$$. They also consume a lot of propane if you are going to run air Etc. If just for occasional use I would get a gas genny that would run your air. Maybe a 3000 Honda ? Just thinking outside the box.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:13 AM   #7
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Yeah I know it will be on the expensive side. It doesn’t seem to hard to install not saying I would just curious how it connects to the in command system. I know I need the shroud and I think the support stand. Connect to battery, connect propane line, run exhaust and then wire into the in command system. ...that’s the part I have no clue on.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:00 AM   #8
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
Yeah I know it will be on the expensive side. It doesn’t seem to hard to install not saying I would just curious how it connects to the in command system. I know I need the shroud and I think the support stand. Connect to battery, connect propane line, run exhaust and then wire into the in command system. ...that’s the part I have no clue on.
All I can say about that is I know several people that have campers with that in command system and it was so much trouble that got rid of the camper. You may turn it into a not in command system like theirs was.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:14 AM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Maybe a bit off topic, but since we are all Montana owners, we are all dealing with basically, the same designs. With that said,....

Our HC 375FL did not come with a generator and of course, our salesman said one could be added later. And I agree, it could. And since we do mostly state park camping and always have electric hook-up, we didn't see the need to push for a generator.

Fast forward another year. By now, we are seriously considering full timing in the next 2 years and now, seriously considering generators and the research began.

Of course we started with the Cummings built-in generators first (You know, those green square box looking ones that fit in the front bay of your fifth wheel).

Well, after lots and lots and lots of research, searching forums, and asking questions from sales men at multiple RV dealerships, here's my conclusions.

First: our Montana's (unless they are toy haulers), are simply not conveniently equipped to handle gasoline models. Why? Because you have to figure out somewhere to install a gas tank in the camper. And then, you have to carry gas cans with you, if you are a serious boomdocker.

Second, the propane Cumming's use an incredible amount of propane. This seems to be the biggest complaint about them. Many folks eventually swap out their 30 pound propane tanks and get 40 pounders, as they will still fit in the propane compartments in our Montana's. But even with that, the generator will still burn through 80 pounds of propane very fast.

Then, I read and heard too many bad things about these generators: breakdowns and repairs seemed to be a way of life with them. Too many negatives, not enough positives. Negatives won.

Still, wanting a generator, my search shifted to portable ones. Months of research and again, asking questions, and visiting dealerships for their thoughts, talking to fellow RVers in our travels and getting thoughts and opinions everywhere, we stumbled into a good solution for us.

Cummings Onan came out with a new portable inverter generator... actually 3 different models: Click here.

We decided to get the middle size: the Onan P4500i Inverter Portable Generator. The price tag at my local RV dealership was $1050 originally, but they didn't have any in stock. So I put my name on their "list" when the next shipment came in.

About 2 weeks later, I got the call, went to pick it up and took the wife. They had it all ready, gassed up and did a walk-through PDI with me on it. Lots of questions with the understanding that only 1 air conditioner could be run at a time. AND that's when the wife spoke up! She wanted both air conditioners to run at the same time.

Well, what the wife wants, the wife gets, happy wife, happy life. We purchased two of them. The price went up slightly, and I had to get the connection cable to run them in parallel so both air conditioners would operate at the same time. Total cost $2400 complete with taxes.

Advantages over the one installed in the front bay? They are portable. They can be used anywhere and for anything, including power outages at home, and are not confined to just the camper usage.

Disadvantage, there are 2 of them, and they are 100 pounds each. Only 1 will fit in the front bay area, there is not enough room for 2 of them. Problem solved: I purchased a set of ramps (I cannot lift them up that high to get into the bed of my truck, but I can roll them up with little difficulty) ... and they fit very well in the bed of the pick-up and do not interfere with the king pin hitch on the trailer.

Disadvantage: If traveling, they are not usable, as my electric hook up is on the very back of my 41 foot fifth wheel and my electric cord is 35 feet. I'd have to unhitch and get one, or both out and hook it up. But in all our travels, so far, we've not had need for AC power when in transit.

Anyway, this is how we came to our decision, and the ultimate decision to not get the green one permanently affixed in the front bay.

FYI, we can run both air conditioners, micrwwave, electric water heater, residential refrigerator, both televisions, and a coffee pot on this set up. I think that's pretty good.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:01 AM   #10
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Guess maybe I should explain why im looking into the LP generator if we dont sell.

I Currently have 2 HF3500 running in parallel. so I already have that part covered yes its a cheaper solution but here is where it gets interesting:

On our summer trip coming home we were in Texas when we stopped for the night. It was late we were both tired. Found a truck stop backed in hooked up the generators connected to the trailer and got ready for bed. about 2 hours later the power shut off, I woke up half asleep still so hot outside and tried to figure out what the problem was. The 2 generators in the back of my truck overheated, trying to restart them I ended up burning my leg on the exhaust splitting open my heel on some part of the hitch, getting back inside the trailer on top of everything else going on I was dehydrated and passed out for a minute or so.... Luckily my wife is a RN but she still wanted me to go to the ER which I refused... After a bit we packed up and just pulled into a RV park.

Not sure why the generators overheated unless the bed rails are higher on the 2020 then my 2015. Never had a problem on my 2015. Needless to say I have sold 1 of my generators and have 2 still with another going soon, Ill be keeping one for just in case stuff.

We (she) decided she was over the generators and the hassle so she wants to get the installed generator. I have 6 30lb propane bottles so im not really worried about consumption, more about convenience. All of this hinges on the selling of our Montana, if we sell it we are placing an order for SOB with all the bells and whistles, at the same time im no where near upside down on this unit im not going to give it away either, I know what its worth. So thats where we're at, maybe that will better help understand why the wife wants what she wants......

Tony
Old 09-18-2020, 09:45 AM   #11
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
To me unless you camp in the middle of a hundred and ten degrees desert with no trees there is no need for two air conditioners running. If I had the camp in a situation like that I just plain simply wouldn't do it.

With that being said we spent two weeks in South Carolina last year where he never got below 95 degrees even at night humidity was super high also. Just stepping out of the camper took your breath away. We have two air conditioners but only ran the main one the entire time kept the inside of the camper below 70 degrees at all times.

I remember reading somewhere that a propane generator can suck a 30 lb bottle dry in less than 8 hours if you're using air conditioners and the such.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:49 AM   #12
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
sell the darn thing and start fresh.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:00 AM   #13
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
sell the darn thing and start fresh.
That’s the plan, but I’m not going to give it away...
Old 09-18-2020, 10:13 AM   #14
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
These threads are always entertaining to me. What works very well for one person does not meet the needs of another. Many lists of pros and cons regarding the plethora of generator threads on the forum. Our 6.5kw lp Onan commercial gets minimal usage since our solar and inverter system was installed but one feature I keep gravitating to is the convenience of pushing a single button, driving down the road then pulling into a destination and entering a cooled and comfortable rig. If and when we change rigs I am not sure I would make any changes with regards to our generator choice(s).
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #15
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I agree it is very convenient to push that button. Previous to the current Montana I have I had to Toy Haulers both equipped with gas generators. Put thousands of hours on them with minimal issues.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:15 AM   #16
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
That’s the one I was looking at the 6.5 kw lp onan.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:43 PM   #17
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Ours has been pretty good. Got it used and only had to replace a oil pressure sender so far. All it’s done is what it’s supposed to when it’s supposed.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:43 PM   #18
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Has anyone here actually wired the generator to the in command system..?

Tony
Old 09-20-2020, 06:36 PM   #19
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
I don't have In-command but electrically speaking usually a set of wires to feed contact in the control unit along with some configuration within the settings menu within the GUI should get the job done. Basically just making an electronic momentary contact actuated by the touch screen.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:11 PM   #20
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
I found the in command wiring diagram so I would know where each wire would pin into the system, weather or not that corresponds to the generator is a different story ! Lol