Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2008, 02:39 AM   #1
meldelton

M.O.C. #8597
How Our Montana Spoiled Our Trip to Newfoundland

This article is for your information. It has been sent to Keystone and Suncoast.

How Our Montana RV Spoiled Our Trip to Newfoundland

By Dale H. Melton

When we set out on May 12, 2008, from our home in Sarasota, Florida, for the island of Newfoundland, little did we know what awaited us while travelling in our 2006 Montana fifth-wheel trailer. We had had earlier problems with the rig, but the challenges, inconveniences, and anxieties we experienced on the road were beyond belief!

Before leaving Florida, 170 miles from home, our tires began to shred. Determined to continue our trek, we purchased a new set of tires in Alachua, Florida, and stayed in an RV park there for the night.

Upon reaching Charlottesville, Virginia, our refrigerator stopped working. Certain that we could get a quick repair, we called mobile Marxway RV Service when we arrived in Salisbury, Massachusetts. After examining it, the service representative informed us that we would need to take it to a Dometic dealer for warranty repair or replacement and that we owed a trip charge. A call to Shannon at Dometic assured us that the appliance was still covered by the warranty as well as being on a recall list.

Another problem was our faux fireplace which broke from its brackets and slid back into its compartment. We repaired it by shoring up the side mountings with metal strips and long screws. Just another blip in a long list of woes!

Arriving in Windham, Maine, the home of our friends Rick and Nancy Goslin, we promptly left the RV with Scott Gardner, Service Writer, at Lee’s Family Trailer Sales and Service for several days of testing and documentation with Tommy at Dometic. Nevertheless, Lee’s service department employee, Randy, informed us that their staff would not be able to schedule the repair in a timely manner for us to resume our trip, and we owed for an hour of work.

Still determined to reach the Maritime Provinces, we compensated for a nonworking refrigerator by purchasing two Coleman electric coolers at Wal Mart, believing they were better than the ice-filled cooler of past camping trips in a poptop camper. Also, our traveling companions, Judy and Direlle Baird, generously shared their ice with us.

Shortly thereafter, while in Moncton, New Brunswick, the fan in our Atwood gas furnace began emitting high-pitched and scraping noises each time it was run. Thankfully, it continued to work even though noisily. Added to our other woes, the furnace was just an added stressor.

Assured that nothing else could possibly happen, we rolled through Nova Scotia, riding the Ferry to Newfoundland, and registering at Gros Morne RV Park in Rocky Harbor, Newfoundland. Within two days, while attempting to warm our dinner of black beans in our Apollo microwave/convection oven, we discovered that it, too, had stopped working. Could anything else happen?

Yes, it could! As we walked around checking the RV while waiting in line for the return trip by Ferry at Channel-Port aux Basques, I discovered that the wiring for the large slide had broken loose from its anchor so that it hung down well below the side moulding. Only because I had a bungie to secure it, did it stay well out of sight. What could have happened if it had caught on something and broken. This must be the last straw for a harried rver!

After experiencing all these problems on our trip, we began reviewing the history of our Montana since purchasing it at Suncoast RV in Pinellas Park, Florida. Most of the shanks on the compartment locks had had to be replaced because they were too short, causing the storage doors to open without notice. The dealer replaced two day/night shades and we reanchored or restrung three others (One still needs restringing). A leaking toilet was repaired by the dealer who gave us an extra seal “in case we had further problems”. Shortly, we had to install it in order to keep water in the bowl. The dining room slide has continually black-spotted the mint-green carpet, requiring its regular cleaning. Other problems include a couch cushion that tore at its seam, a defective converter the dealer replaced, and a circuit breaker that often trips when the rv is plugged into 50 amp power.

We want to keep this unit, our third Montana fifth wheel trailer, believing it to be structurally sound, with an excellent floorplan and beautifully decorated, but we now wonder whether we are making a wise decision. What should we do now, and what is still ahead? Is someone trying to tell us something? Is this what rving is all about? Could Montana’s owners, Suncoast RV, Dometic, Atwood and Apollo fix these problems and, thus, make it right again?

Incidentally, didn’t we hear that Thor Industries, Inc. bought the Keystone RV Company , Montana’s parent company? Could this unit have been built during the transition?

meldelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:14 AM   #2
Fiver Get You Ten
Established Member

M.O.C. #8419
I'm unsure why you keep posting this as I have seen it on other forums.

I believe any of these problems could have occured with a unit manufactured by Keystone or any of the others. Why do you keep bashing Keystone?

Fiver Get You Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:18 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
IIRC Thor bought Keystone in 2001. Sorry to hear about all the problems, but that seems to be more the norm than not. I just talked to friends yesterday that have a $80,000 SOB, and they just left the plant in Indiana after having the fiver rebuilt. They actually found many problems the owners had not found at this point, including having to bring in a welding team to rework the frame.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:26 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Sorry to hear of all of your troubles. We have had a few issues with our 2007 2400RL, but I am unconcerned since I realize the rig is subjected to abuse beyond measure when we tote these beasts over the highways and byways of our great land. I guess the only recourse to avoid all of the issues of RVing would be staying in hotels and motels. I can assure you that this WILL NOT HAPPEN as far as we are concerned. I firmly believe that RV ownership is just like boat ownership, there will ALWAYS be maintenance issues and repairs, all we can hope for is they don't occur in rashes as evidently yours did. Overall, we are extremely happy with our Montana and hope that your trials and tribulations in yours are over with.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:27 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Welcome to the world of Rving. However bashing will get you nothing but more problems. You have the number 1 selling brand in America. And everything you have mention has happened to others at one time or another. Could things be better, the answer is yes. Will it get better I don't know. But I do know this, we owned 2 Keystone products, Everest 343L only one issue in 22,000 miles, we also owned the Cambridge 358 had two issues in 20,000. We lived full time in the Cambridge and made a mistake in selling it. We will never get another 5th will with all the standard options. I wish Keystone still made the Cambridge? We now own SOB but will be going South in July to look at a Montana Big Sky and it will be our next 5th wheel. Bashing never helps. Keystone done everything we ask, and we were treated very professional at all times. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:34 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fiver Get You Ten

I'm unsure why you keep posting this as I have seen it on other forums.

I believe any of these problems could have occured with a unit manufactured by Keystone or any of the others. Why do you keep bashing Keystone?

Just curious; do you own a Keystone product, or are you just following this poster from forum to forum? Why not let them vent? Would you not be miffed if you were in their shoes?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:03 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I don't see any "bashing" in the original post by Dale. I see a chronological detail of events that have taken some pleasure out of their "great American adventure." It is also stated that they want to keep their 3rd Montana 5th wheel. I see "venting," and anguish in their post. I really don't see any bashing. I would be very frustrated if all of those events happened to me on one trip.

Would it not be nice if the lemon law applied to RV 5th wheel.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:03 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
He posted the same thing over on RVnet.Looks like he joined here as part of his crusade whatever that might be. The poster uses the name

"meldeton" He never replied to any of the post on RVnet. He just wants to let us know.
we had most of those same problems but not at the same time on the same trip but over a two year plus period. Don't see where the poster ever contacted Keystone. I think that with the exception of the noisy fan we had all of those problems but they were all corrected by Keystone or the vendor. I think the post is very informative and a example of how NOT to handle problems.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:03 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dale, Welcome to "The Best Darned Forum on the WWW!" So sorry to hear of your problems with your '06. I, too, have an '06 model and have had a few problems that were either fixed under warranty or by myself. We have the 3400RL and absolutely love it. You are on your third Montana so you must like the product. I guess there are lemons in every brand or make and model. I sincerely hope you are able to get things set straight and continue RV'ing. It does seem like these things take a little more care than a house but I think that is the nature of the beast. For the privelege of living anywhere I want I am willing to put up with occasional repairs.

In my opinion, I did not feel you were "Bashing" Keystone or any other manufacturer, rather just stating facts. I do not subscribe to any other forum so I can't address that issue. I do feel you did right in contacting Keystone as you seem to have had some rather unusual problems that maybe they could offer a fix for. Perhaps an extended warranty might have been the answer for you, I know, hindsight is 20-20. But your posting might serve as a reminder to all that maybe we should look into the extended warranty programs as another option we have to fund when we buy these things.

I hope your conditions improve and you have many more safe miles to go. Good luck in getting your rig repaired......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:04 AM   #10
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Attention! This type of thread has the potential for getting out of hand very quickly! As a matter of fact people are already starting to do some "name" calling and questioning the motives of various posters.

This sort of thing is NOT acceptable. Keep the posts NON personal and to the topic and NON bashing. Stick to the MOC Mission Statement.

Thank you,

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:35 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I could start a whole new thread on how Ford ruined my vacation, but it would produce similar results - nothing. The only thing that had the potential to ruin my vacation was me if I let the equipment woes get me down. There are work arounds for most anything if you keep the original objective in mind.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:37 AM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

I don't see any "bashing" in the original post by Dale. I see a chronological detail of events that have taken some pleasure out of their "great American adventure." It is also stated that they want to keep their 3rd Montana 5th wheel. I see "venting," and anguish in their post. I really don't see any bashing. I would be very frustrated if all of those events happened to me on one trip.

I also have seen this on the RV Net and as Waynen, I see it as a frustrating vacation. if I had all the problems he had I would have felt the same way.
The sad part about the vacation is he had a schedual to follow, and all of the inconvenances change all appointments in the future.
But all of the equiptment failure seems to be under warrintee, but a lot of good that does when your vacation is in progress. I would not like sitting in a RV Park waiting for parts to be installed while on vacation. I'm sure that when all is fixed things will run smoother for him.
I sure hope he dosen't get as angry as another Montana owner did a few years back and leave the MOC angry.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:25 AM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Really sorry to hear bout this sad trip.

Al said, I have never heard of an Atwood furnace in our Montana's, so, I guess we are confused on that point.

Hope this fella gets his problems cleared up and can enjoy some future years of trouble free RVing.

Course, if you read my sig line, we always figure this is a sport with many challenges and handy hands and some cash are two or our "always packed" tools.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:18 AM   #14
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I wish I never had any equipment problems to interfere with my schedule, but it happens. I wish I could go any to a service provider along my route and get prompt service. I wish all RV repair shops carried an inventory that included any part or appliance that might have trouble so I could get instant replacement, but they don't.

It is difficult when things go wrong and my plans must be canceled or delayed. I get angry when I can't get what I want when I want it. It is hard to be and act rationally when my emotions are running high. My wishes need to be educated by reality to help me realign my expectations into realistic expectations rather than unrealistic ones.

I need to have realistic expectations of Montana/Keystone, service companies and their employees, and the time it takes to get things fixed. The learning curve can be frustrating.

Recently, I lost my converter, microwave/convection oven, television, DVD/surround sound system, and satellite converter box all in a matter of a few seconds, all under warranty. We sat in Missouri two weeks waiting for delivery of replacement appliances. We were 5 weeks without our microwave/convection oven because the first warranty replacement was faulty and another had to be shipped.

This was not convenient nor did things occur according to our wishes. We had to adjust our expectations to the realities of the warranty replacement system. Even though my dealer/service provider wanted to handle things more quickly, he could not install before the appliances got to his shop. Further, he had no control over whether the new appliances were in working order when he received them.

I wish many things in this world were different, but they are what they are. I need to learn what I can change and learn to live with what I can't. It reduces stress and leaves room for the pursuit of happiness.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sounds like the water heater is still working great... Have you checked your anode lately, Dale?

I look forward to your second post here, Dale.

As a note: It's too bad that this is your 3rd Montana and you just now have discovered the MOC. Most, if not all, of those issues could have been addressed here - many prior to having a problem..
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #16
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Sounds like the water heater is still working great... Have you checked your anode lately, Dale?

I look forward to your second post here, Dale.

As a note: It's too bad that this is your 3rd Montana and you just now have discovered the MOC. Most, if not all, of those issues could have been addressed here - many prior to having a problem..
Second that:
I find that interesting, that other Montana owners out there have never heard of this forum, I have met with others out there, and was told they dont join forums or groups. Hum Figure that one out. And the people interested in the forum I never see them as new members either. Hummm
It's got to be my spelling.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:10 PM   #17
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I'm almost afraid to post this response for fear of jinxing us but here goes... We have a 2005 Montana that we got in April of that year... We live in our Montana and have traveled almost 80,000 miles carrying our home behind us including a trip of three months to Alaska... We are on our way to Newfoundland right now and just came through Moncton, New Brunswick.. We plan on spending the next week on PEI...

Yes we have had a few problems.... Most of them Bill was able to take care of, like changing seals in the toilet a few times, new motor on our slides, new tires and brakes after 60,000 miles and general maintenance that we watch for on a daily basis.... We have found that slowing down has not only helped the mileage but has also taken the bumps in the road much easier which has meant less damage inside... It scares the heck out of me to tell you this but I just can't stand to see someone bash Keystone without telling you our story.. We are Two Happy Campers on our way to Newfoundland.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #18
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Hmmmm, what model and year was the vehicle? Just wondering if the rig was second hand or, if new, that the dealership's PDI was entirely bypassed. We've all had events with a home that suffers a small earthquake each time we pull. I've had tires shred but now I have a TPM to warn me or future failures. Keystone has changed their supplier of tires from Missions to Goodyears if I'm not mistaken. My personal inspection during PDI discovered the wiring loose on the main slide's bracket and it was repaired. Hard to accept that all these failures occurred on a first trip of a new rig.

I agree with others that Keystone bashing is not productive and that a trip from Florida to Canada passed by so many Camping World service sites that the fridge was not replaced. Sounds more like a Chevy Chase trip than a Montana trip.

Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #19
levietta
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7537
We are truly sorry to hear that you have had such a difficult and stressful time. We've had several different RV's, including one diesel pusher with a sticker of over $160,000.00 and even it had problems like the ones you speak of. Our current unit has given us some "fits" as well, but none to the extent that you have had. We have found Keystone to be reputable, helpful, and that they back their product 100%. They go the "extra mile" to keep their customers content. Be patient. Give them a chance to fix what is out of order. I am confident that they will. Any dealer that habitually disappoints the customer will be out of business, sooner than later.
levietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #20
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Heck, fixing things that break or fall off are just routine maintenance in the RV -

Its all in how you look at it. This was our maiden voyage, and our anniversary. I told Dory we lost a wheel, she said "well thank goodness it was just one". We called a tow company, left it in Utah, and finished our trip in the truck and hotels.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote