Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #1
alherbel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21735
Question Mountaineer stabilizer failure - new member

Hello... am new member because search for answers led me to this community. Have had 2013 with no problems, until last time out! PLEASE help! . . . 2013 Montana Mountaineer with remote control... everything worked until recently, the stabilizer quite working... In control box (when selecting either "up" or "down" on remote control), two small deiodes, (I believe) about an inch square, will emit an audible CLICK, but stabilizer will not function in either direction.... The exterior control box (behind a keyed door that has hydraulic controls for slides and toggle switches for front legs and rear stabilizer) would allow stabilizer control while remote just clicked and did not function.... UNTIL tonight, the toggle switch failed to operate as well...
. . . short of placing our RV into the repair line, what can be done to get stabilizer working again? Thanks for your expertise.

alherbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:19 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When we had the 2010 we carried a chuck for my drill and used it to raise and lower the stabilizer using the nut on the opposite end from the motor. At least on a 2010 the motor failure was a know issue since the motor manufacturor never sealed the hole where the wires went into the motor and sooner of later things went bad.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:03 AM   #3
alherbel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21735
hoping find a "fix" for failure, but have resigned myself to the fact what you have suggested may be the most reliable.... Did your's go out like mine, or all of a sudden?
Old 05-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Here is an earlier discussion of water in the stabilizer motor and what some did.. http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=58544 Do a Search on "rear stabilizer" or such to find more posts.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:22 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
Originally Posted by alherbel View Post
hoping find a "fix" for failure, but have resigned myself to the fact what you have suggested may be the most reliable.... Did your's go out like mine, or all of a sudden?
Mine went out and I used the drill, then the next time it worked and it continued to work for quite a while before I had to go to the drill again and then replace the motor.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:35 PM   #6
alherbel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21735
appears the same with our RV, remote not activating stabilizer tonight, but toggle switch for stabilizer works fine! Is there anything to fix problem in your opinion?.... hate to have a remote that does not work!.... thanks.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:00 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Are there other functions to the remote (slides, awning, etc) or is it dedicated to the stabilizers? If there are multiple functions, are they all working or not?

There is a "brain" unit in the front compartment the remote communicates with that has been known to have issues. If all the functions are dead, moving the ground from the "brain" to the frame often solves the problem. If only the stabilizer function is dead and the others are working, then the problem will likely be in the wired connection.

The following link describes the problem with the "brain" and the ground.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=46515

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:07 AM   #8
alherbel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21735
Hi Carl n Susan, my remote has awning, slides, front legs, stabilizer... For 3 camping seasons, all functions have worked great.... Last week, stabilizer activation on remote failed. I still have toggle switch control for stabilizer, so the motor is good (still). When the remote is pressed, one or two square diodes (my terminology?) will "click" but fail to activate stabilizer or motor.... Something has failed that used to be functioning. Am looking to find suggestion to fix my problem.... thanks.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #9
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Inch square parts that make click sound would be relays. As Carl asked, do other futons still work on your remote?
Old 05-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #10
alherbel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21735
Hi jcurtis934 - Our 2013 Montana Mountaineer with remote, every remote function works, except the stabilizer action. Stabilizer RELAYs (learned 2 thing tonight!) clicks but motor does not respond... Other FUTONS do function, no problems there. Thanks for trying to help.... appreciate all club members trying to help me.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:29 PM   #11
alherbel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21735
Smile Mountaineer stabilizer failure - SOLVED

Have discovered failure to stabilizer action.... BLOWN fuse.!!! ... had brother-in-law look at our problem area, the relays clicking, etc... Then It dawned me, there were fuse lines near, and we started popping the covers to peek at them... ONE fuse was blown, replaced with new, presto-change-o, stabilizer works with remote again!... GOING to place silicone over line where it enters the stabilizer motor, a known problem as stated by DQDick earlier!
. . . THANK you everyone!... It has been a really great day!
Old 05-13-2018, 08:27 AM   #12
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Thanks for posting your root cause and the solution to this problem,as it may help others in diagnosing their issues easier.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote failure, remote stabilizer fail, stabilizer failure