Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2023, 08:19 AM   #1
snowbirds R us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13088
Utah trip

We are going to make a lengthy trip to Utah this summer. Often, we have passed this state going to other destinations. Always put it on the back burner since I have heard there are so many things do see/do in that state. Would some of the helpful people that have been through there and spent some time, give me some ideas as to how to spend 6 weeks there? I’ve always found that asking others of their experiences often help. Considering the price of diesel fuel, I don’t want to waste time going to places we might not enjoy. We both have our America the Beautiful senior passes, generators, and hoping to get a modest solar array. Thank you all

Old 03-13-2023, 02:02 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Jim and Diana,

UT is a beautiful state with lots to see and do. Great national parks include Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef and Zion.

Check out the Western Rally thread - this summer's rally is in Heber and list some things to do in that area.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 04:04 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We stayed at Willow Wind RV park in Hurricane UT when we were touring that area. Bit of a drive to the sites. If doing it again we would stay closer to each of the main parks and exploring them better.
There is so much to see. Take your time.
We will be in Moab the beginning of May touring Arches and that area.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 05:17 PM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
First I wouldn't go in the summer! We went in 2008 the last 10 days of Sept. It was still way HOT - and I live in AZ. If you have a very big unit the AC won't keep up unless you have the new 3 AC unit rigs. Temps in summer are probably 110 plus in some areas. Good luck what ever you decide.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 01:56 PM   #5
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
Utah

See all those places listed before for sure, but there is still more to see and enjoy. We spent most of last year exploring the entire state. It's true it is hot down in the desert, however up further in the mountains it is great! Explore the sites around Salt Lake City, Heber, Park City, Dear Valley ski resort, Brian Head and don't miss the Cedar Breaks they are beautiful. Hwy 12 is also exciting and very interesting, don't miss it!! Utah is one very beautiful state the lower pard has the most national parks and is mostly desert, however the northern part is filled with beautiful mountains and great campgrounds. Enjoy the entire state and HWY 89 is a great drive with lots of places to state along the way. Enjoy, and please be safe out there amongst-em!!! For more info private message me, I have a lot to share!!!!

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
2019 F-350 Diesel 4X4, Short Bed, BW 18K slider,
closely followed by a 2020 Montana 3121RL
Gubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 05:07 PM   #6
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
There is a montana rally this June if it meets with your trip.
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 07:42 AM   #7
snowbirds R us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubs View Post
See all those places listed before for sure, but there is still more to see and enjoy. We spent most of last year exploring the entire state. It's true it is hot down in the desert, however up further in the mountains it is great! Explore the sites around Salt Lake City, Heber, Park City, Dear Valley ski resort, Brian Head and don't miss the Cedar Breaks they are beautiful. Hwy 12 is also exciting and very interesting, don't miss it!! Utah is one very beautiful state the lower pard has the most national parks and is mostly desert, however the northern part is filled with beautiful mountains and great campgrounds. Enjoy the entire state and HWY 89 is a great drive with lots of places to state along the way. Enjoy, and please be safe out there amongst-em!!! For more info private message me, I have a lot to share!!!!
This message was what I was wanting to hear. Since we will be there for quite a while, we were looking to see other things of interest besides the main attractions. It's a big beautiful state. Looking to also see things like the old ruins of cave dwellers, from ancient time. Again, it's always nice to hear from the "been there" crowd.
Old 03-20-2023, 10:43 AM   #8
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
We've been twice to Utah and stayed at the Zion RV Resort. The best time. If hiking and being outdoors is your thing, it's absolutely gorgeous. Hiking the Narrows is something you'll never forget. There's so much to do there. You can take tours, via offroad vehicles, rent them for yourself, and there's river tubing and rafting.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:13 PM   #9
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
If you travel to the far east part of the state, there is the Hovenweep Ruins. Check it our on the internet. We went twice. First time it was around 3 or 4 pm and HOT. We only had 1 small water bottle, so didn't stay long.
Next time we think we are smart - got there around 8:30 or 9 AM. 2 water bottles. Actually wasn't terrible except for one thing. The canyon it is in is about 80 feet deep and there are no stairs - just a trail. We also thought go down thru the canyon to start when we are fresh then do the loop around the top back to the visitor center. Good plan. However wife (who isn't the most physically gifted) and I were going up the far side and there was basically a step up that was about 18-24 inches. She got part way up, lost her balance and tipped over backwards, narrowly missing a rock with her head. That took a lot out of her, but it was closer to the top where we were so we charged ahead. This left about a mile or so walk around the top back to the center. However NO shade and no rest areas. We sat on rocks, etc
We barely made it back and this was with a nice couple giving us another cold water bottle. We were going about 100 yards between rests. Scary day.
But it has many ruins and towers.

Good luck.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 09:09 AM   #10
marric1

M.O.C. #19583
Send a message via AIM to marric1 Send a message via MSN to marric1
Jim and Diana,
I can offer the following suggestions.

For Bryce and Zions National Park I would suggest you stay at Ruby's Inn RV Park. Its a nice RV park with full hook-ups, showers, and laundry, a decent restaurant and nice general store.
1 day - Bryce National Park, a leisurely drive or you can take the free shuttle you can walk to from your RV.
1 day - Zion National Park. This drive will take you through the east entrance which goes through the tunnels, a cool drive. You can see the whole park in a single day unless you want to do some of the longer hikes then you may want a second day.
Bonus 1 day - From Ruby's Inn take Hwy 12 Scenic Byway through the towns of Escalante and Boulder. Follow this road to Torrey adjacent to Capitol Reef National Park. Along this route you can stop at Mossy Cave, a short 1/2 mile hike, and Anasazi State Park in Boulder.

For Arches and Canyonlands National Parks for hook-ups you will need to stay in Moab at an RV park.
1 day - Arches National Park
1 day - Dead Horse Point State Park and Canyonlands Island in the Sky National Park.
1 day - Canyonlands Needles district.
Bonus 1 day - Natural Bridges National Monument. From here you can take Hwy 261 that will take you down the Moki Dugway a steep but cool drive. You can include the Valley of the Gods drive and/or drive over to Goose Necks state park.

If you are not in a hurry there is plenty to do and see at both these 'base camps'.
Have fun and enjoy.
marric1 is offline   Reply With Quote