Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Don't buy cheap cheese

After 4 years of our defenses working perfectly we had a complete and total failure and were invaded by a small herd of mice. Went to Walmart and bought cheap cheese. I was concerned about what it was. It was labeled "Imitation pasteurized processed cheese food" but it was yellow, smelled a little like cheese and felt like cheese so I bought it and put it on the traps. The only mouse I caught was because I placed the trap on a mouse highway and it stepped on the trap by accident. Since we weren't making progress I took the, whatever it was, off the traps and put crunchy peanut butter on. Caught three the first night. I was still being cheap, but apparently mice do like Kroger peanut butter.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Dedicate a Snickers bar to your recovery efforts and you may be amazed at the results. It only takes a little bit for them to smell it out. Having an office on a mountaintop in the middle of nowhere leads to many experiments regarding bait.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Did you try to "cut the cheese"?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Having spent a winter with our "trailer" skirted with straw bails we became very adept at catching these little rascals, we were in mouse heaven with those bails surrounding us like a mote. We found from time to time switching from cheese (old but good) to peanut butter (squirrel brand) was necessary to offset familiarity. Washing the traps also seemed to help.

I never tired of my screams of my DW opening a cupboard and finding a trap with a not quite dead mouse in it... somehow she does not see the humor in that to this day. Strangely she still loves me.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
[quote]Originally posted by bncinwv

Dedicate a Snickers bar to your recovery efforts and you may be amazed at the results. It only takes a little bit for them to smell it out. Having an office on a mountaintop in the middle of nowhere leads to many experiments regarding bait.
Bingo

The problem with using Snickers around here it that they would never get to the trap or we'd have sore fingers from trying to get it back.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455

I never tired of my screams of my DW opening a cupboard and finding a trap with a not quite dead mouse in it... somehow she does not see the humor in that to this day. Strangely she still loves me.

Know what you mean, especially the part about "strangely she still loves me".

[/quote]
Old 01-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
[quote]quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Quote:
Originally posted by bncinwv

Bingo

The problem with using Snickers around here it that they would never get to the trap or we'd have sore fingers from trying to get it back.
Just a couple of pinches Dick, you can eat the rest then!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:22 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
When my wife worked for the City of Pontiac, I learned this from their 'animal division'. Rodents (rats, mice and squirrels) all like peanut butter and chocolate. Based on that, perhaps you should use Reese's cups.

Just make sure the traps are in a tight spot I can't get into!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Dick, "California Mice" like "hot dogs"! If not they really go for "Brie", it must be served warm and get a nice cracker that can properly contrast and stand up to the cheese!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

Dick, "California Mice" like "hot dogs"! If not they really go for "Brie", it must be served warm and get a nice cracker that can properly contrast and stand up to the cheese!
When you say "California mice", are you talking about Micky and Minnie?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:18 PM   #11
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Why yes !
Old 01-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It'd have to be Mickey and Minnie for me to come up with money for brie!
Old 01-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #13
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
In Texas we just gotta remember to lock the door. Mice are so big that's the only way they can get in....lol lol... Yep everythings bigger in Texas lol lol.....besides ain't no way I would give up a Snickers bar, wife won't let me have them as it is.....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #14
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555

In Texas we just gotta remember to lock the door. Mice are so big that's the only way they can get in....lol lol... Yep everythings bigger in Texas lol lol.....besides ain't no way I would give up a Snickers bar, wife won't let me have them as it is.....
Remember it's snickers bars that made us dependent on a step ladder, to reach our hitches! Lol
Old 01-14-2014, 01:41 AM   #15
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Altoid mint on a sticky tray.

Mousie loves 'em, departs this world with a smile on his/her face and curiously fresh breath.

Strange but effective.

TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:52 AM   #16
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Now that's a new one, worth a try. I always hate getting them out of the trap and them having bad breath.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #17
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
Dick, I put out the word about your left over "cheap cheese" to everyone here at Quartzsite. We will be monitoring your contribution to the Happy Hour/Hors D'oeuvres when you get here. Don't try to unload it on us----we are watching!!!!
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #18
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Damn, and I've still got some too.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:36 AM   #19
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Now I know why I've been reading about the Velveeta shortage a lot lately. Demand for the stuff has risen so much, Kraft is having hard time keeping up with demand, and some of y'all are using it on Mice and they don't even like it. Save this stuff for football game nachos. There's only about 3 weeks left of football and we need what's left for that. I've not been enthralled with brie at the football game, but Velveeta? Yeah, baby.

Man, I'm glad we don't have mice where I am. I would hate to part with the Snickers and the Reese's. We only have ants and they love anything! I tease DW they keep the house clean, too. The hardship is that they hang around and bug her to death. I like they can find any bits and scraps the grandbabies leave around the house. DW is a meticulous house cleaner, but she has been known to miss the hard to reach places and the grandbabies can drop food in the most inopportune places.

As for big, I understand New York has the biggest rats. Someone could make a mint inventing a saddle for them.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:17 AM   #20
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

For those, you also must provide a small container of wine as well. Otherwise, they will turn their noses up at your Brie, pull up stakes, and move to the gated community at the upscale end of your rig.

On a serious note, don't bother with buying Tomcat® Mouse Attractant Gel, I have yet to get a mouse with this goop, peanut butter never fails in my experience.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote