Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2023, 06:33 AM   #1
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Fresh water, drain or not?

We use our Montana primarily as snowbirds, December through April. Throughout the summer months we only use it 3 or 4 times for roughly a week each time. I am trying to decide how to handle the fresh water system for these warm summer months. Should I just drain the tank and park it or should I also drain the hot water tank and low point drains in an effort to evacuate as much water as possible from the system. We just returned from a trip and it will sit now until mid July. At that time we will of course put water in the tank and open all the faucets to rinse out the lines. Just not sure if leaving the lines full of water (chlorinated city water) is better than empty damp lines. Maybe it doesn’t matter? Tia

MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 07:45 AM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I would drain everything unless you live in a high elevation where it is cool most days.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 07:59 AM   #3
Trevor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29795
I think you’ll be fine though the worm months. We live in western Kentucky and I don’t drain ours till we’re done in the winter.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 11:47 AM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Recommend drain everything.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 11:57 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
It's your call, but if my camper is not actually being used, I drain it.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 01:23 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I would drain both. I do this upon return from our Snowbird adventures in the winter. We drain both since we are in Nebraska and it gets pretty warm here and the water can get stagnant in both the fresh water tank and the water heater so that is the process we do upon getting back here. We don't drink from the fresh water tank but do shower and wash dishes with it. I sanitize the fresh water tank and lines and make sure the water heater is rinsed out good before filling it when taking off each summer trip. I use a bleach solution and after letting it sit for a day or so in the tank and lines, I drain them and flush them then run baking soda water into the tank and lines to take away the chlorine smell and taste. I let the solution of baking soda sit for an hour or two before dumping it also and then refill the water heater and fill the fresh water tank partly full upon arriving at the campground for back up incase the water system goes down.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 04:20 AM   #7
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I would drain it any time it will be 2 weeks or more of non use. In the summer months, bacteria can grow in the system.
We never drink the water in our tank or system. I carry bottled water for drinking and cooking, but you still get some when showering and brushing your teeth. I usually only carry about 12-15 gallons in the fresh tank for flushing and hand washing on travel days. We normally have full hookups and only use the fresh tank during travel. Water in the water heater will get stagnant pretty quickly, so I will typically drain it when we get home if I don't plan to use the rig for the next couple of weeks.
I will add that I also sanitize the system twice a year in the spring and fall.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 01:28 PM   #8
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I drain every last drop out of every unit I've ever had after every trip. I'm notified the drain for the tank over to the side of the camper so with the flip of a switch I can empty it. Installed one of those combination anode rod petcock on the water heater. Same thing simple twist and an empties. Opened low Point drains and the faucets inside and most if not all of the water will disappear if you do all of this right before you leave your last site. Easy peasy. Water can get nasty sitting around in pipes and water heaters for months
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 02:26 PM   #9
randerson1
Established Member

M.O.C. #11585
I agree with Dutchmansport, if it’s not being used drain it.
randerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 08:09 AM   #10
Kfinnert
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32153
Good morning -

At the conclusion of each and every rip I drain the tank. I live in the San Fran Bay Area, and even though it is cool there, the concern of algae growth is a concern. Besides, in my trailer it is quick and easy. Also, I will bleach the tank and lines if it will sit for a period of time; I do clean the tank once a year and we notice a huge difference in the quality of the water!
Kfinnert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 06:10 PM   #11
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
In all my years of trailering I always drain 98% leaving a few gallons. I've never even treated my fresh water tanks. I fill with filtered water and typically don't drink it. I brush my teeth with it and my dog drinks it. We're still here. But it can't hurt to treat the tank once a year I guess. People say they use bleach....I'm not really comfortable with that Is that the only option?
Old 06-20-2023, 07:11 AM   #12
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
In all my years of trailering I always drain 98% leaving a few gallons. I've never even treated my fresh water tanks. I fill with filtered water and typically don't drink it. I brush my teeth with it and my dog drinks it. We're still here. But it can't hurt to treat the tank once a year I guess. People say they use bleach....I'm not really comfortable with that Is that the only option?
Its chlorine.. Mix 1 cup bleach to 1/2 tank of fresh water and the run the water pump and open faucets, etc.. The "Free Chlorine" that is now in the water needs to be left in the system for 24 hours for best results..

I will not hurt anything and will prevent all sorts of nasties in your water system

The RV water system IS NOT a closed system like that in sticks and bricks houses... the overflow vent is open to the air...

Ive been doing it this way for well over 45 years now.. And I have sampled my water system a few times and had it tested for ecoli, etc..
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 08:30 AM   #13
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
In addition to what ChuckS said, there is a pool/hot tub chemical (I cannot remember the name) that comes in a powder that can be used as well. It's not Bromine, but is similar to chlorine just in powder form.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote