Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
The Bullet-Proof Transmission Is Shot!

In January we bought a 2008 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax Diesel with the Allison Transmission. A mere 3,600 miles later, after a day of driving 160 miles on city interstate highways from San Diego to Los Angeles, we parked the Montana and drove toward the grocery store. As John applied the brakes there was a horrible grinding noise. After turning the truck off and starting it again, we limped across the street and contacted On-Star. They ran a diagnostic and said nothing appeared to be wrong. Started the truck again, same grinding, finally pulled over to the curb with same grinding noise going on.
Pushed the On-Star button again and asked for Roadside Assistance. They called a tow truck and told us where the nearest GM dealer was located. The tow truck arrived. We had to push the truck by hand to make room for the tow to load the Chevy. Are we grateful for On-Star. We will probably never be without it, now.
As we pulled into the GM dealer, a service rep asked, "What are you doing here with that brand new truck?" "That's what we want to know," we said.
We went to rent a truck (covered by Roadside Assistance and the new-truck warranty), then returned to find our truck up on a lift with four service techs underneath, trying to diagnose the problem. They had narrowed it to the drive train. They did say the transmission is bullet-proof and hardly ever has problems. Later that evening, the service rep called and said they had removed the pan on the transmission and it contained pieces of metal, "The transmission is shot."
We feel blessed the transmission didn't fail as we drove through San Diego and Los Angeles. But we learned the feeling of helplessness caused by living in a 5th wheel when the park tells you they can't extend your stay for a week while you wait for your tow vehicle to be repaired. Back to the GM dealer and GM warranty--they found someone with a 5th-wheel hitch and towed us to a new RV park. Now we wait for the repairs and hope the second bullet-proof transmission really is that.

John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
John & Carol....WOW I know somebody has got to be first and this time it was you. I have never heard of a allison transmission going out like that. I've had 3 different allison's in my time and they all worked perfect. My heart goes out to you.
It's a bullet proof transmission...somebody used more that a bullet.
I think I would be asking for a new transmission and not a rebuild...it's worth a try.
Keep us posted on the outcome...Good Luck!!!
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
bad luck but sound like you are doing well..yes a new Xmittion is in order..maybe you ran over some kriptonite???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Everyone,
Isn't that what we are about here on the MOC and there are members of the MOCTap

If anyone is within 100 miles of me and I am home and you need a tow, or if you are near the campground that I am at, all you have to do is call me. The F-350 will be there to tow your Hanna to the nearest campground or Wally-world, or parking lot. Your choice.

I have mentioned this before, but it may even be possible to set up a relay with other MOC members so no one member would have to haul to far away.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Sorry to hear of your problem, hope you are treated well by GM. I would think that either GM or Allison would want it back to analyze the cause of failure. Hope you do get a new replacement. Keep us posted.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Waynem....The relay would be a fantasic idea. Put me on that list. 100 miles from Weeki Wachee, Fl.
A phone list and names of towns and cities of those on the list would help as not everyone has internet on the road.
We don't have internet in the Fla Keys.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
John and Carol, we are very sorry to hear about the Allison, had to be a defect from the factory. But, I'm pretty sure GM will take care of you.
When you talk about being on the road, we know what you mean. We were out in California last summer when we lost the injectors in our 02 GMC. They replaced the injectors at their expense but we had to rent a car since our truck was past the 5 years for the warranty. I still give GM credit for taking care of the truck and I'm sure the same will happen to you.
It goes to show that anything is destructible, even the Allison!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:04 AM   #8
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Sorry to hear about your "tranny", however, better now than 110,000 miles from now, and the warranty is out.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:21 AM   #9
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
We were told the transmission would be removed and sent back to Allison. They will take it apart to see what went wrong. But we were told not to expect that we will hear the results. It is just part of Allison's quality control.

So far, we are very happy with all GM has done. We have been told they will cover our RV park expense while we wait. That would really be nice.
John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:44 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sorry to hear of the problems . Still sounds like its the excepton rather than the rule.

GM took 2 of my transmissions back in 92 and sent them to the factory. They said its for trends analysis and defect analysis, but I would never hear back results personally.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
John and Carol, very sorry about the Allison your the first person I have ever heard that had a Allison go down. Most of the time its a minor problem, and can be fixed by a computer flash of update. I'm sure you will get a new Allison.

That was a good point about help on the road as for as towing the 5er to a RV park or whatever. I think we should have a place on the forum were a person can go and see if there is someone close to come and tow the 5er in or willing to help in someway. I would be willing to put my name on the list. Good Luck...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:56 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Delaine and Linday, check out the section referencing MOCTAP. What you suggest already exists. I'd be on the list if we stayed in one area.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #13
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I don't care if it Ford,Dodge or GM you possibly run into a bad component. Even I do not own a GM product I would do condemn it. You might get a bad component from any one of them. Just because it is new dose not mean it is OK.This can happen to foreign things also. Just my opinion
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote