Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2020, 05:29 PM   #81
jimc100
Established Member

M.O.C. #18876
The need for G’s

I have been towing awhile and like many I’ve had my adventures with the E rated ST China bombs. I solved the problem on my Bighorn by going over to the Michelin ribs LT and never had another problem.
Ordered my 2017 Motama 3160 with GY G614’s and have had no problems. The Sailuns seem to be great tires but I think I am going to spend the extra money and buy American 🇺🇸.

jimc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:56 AM   #82
Anatnom
Established Member

M.O.C. #23514
I recently was on the road and my GY Marathon tires started going flat and last one tore up the side. I got rid of them while on the road amd got the GY Endurance tires. I'm real happy with them being stronger and US made. I've had Chinese tires and never been happy because of the failures. For my 39 footer I've gotten good service so far. I strongly recommend a monitor system to help watch the tire pressure.. My 3900 is a 2013 model and I now watch the tires and their wear pattern. Most places don't balance the tires and I'm not sure why. These this are well with the limits for my use since I travel with all the tanks empty.. Always good to see what others recommend and glad so many wrote about their tires.
Anatnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:13 PM   #83
Bsorge
Established Member

M.O.C. #19802
Salun 635 tires are the only way to go IMO. I pull my 40 ft 5th wheel from coast to coast, rotate my tires regularly and have not had one problem with a tire. I also have a tire pressure monitoring system so I keep track of pressures and temperatures going down the road. Best tire on the market as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:24 PM   #84
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsorge View Post
Salun 635 tires are the only way to go IMO. I pull my 40 ft 5th wheel from coast to coast, rotate my tires regularly and have not had one problem with a tire. I also have a tire pressure monitoring system so I keep track of pressures and temperatures going down the road. Best tire on the market as far as I'm concerned.
I agree, but so as not to get folks confused, it's a Sailun S637
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:16 PM   #85
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Ref LT vs ST, for years and years most trailer just ran the same tires as used on cars and light duty trucks. ST tires only came into being in the 10 or 12 years. Prior to that Montanas and other larger trailers just ran LT tires and I bet if you could find any real OLD Timers campers they would say they traveled thousands of mile and never had any tire problems.
Now granted LT tires are not a good match for the heavier Fifth Wheels out there because they just don't have the capacity, unless you happen to have a MountainAir with Duals on tandem axles.
ST tires for larger trailers with 6000# axles and 16" tires have been on the market since (about) 2000. Our 2003 Everest, purchased new had 16" OEM GY Marathons made in the USA tires.

The heyday for for 16" LRE LT tires as OEM OE tires on Keystone trailers was 2005-2006. The major brands were Uniroyal and a China made LT of the same designated size. The results was just as dismal as that of the previous ST tires used as OEM. In those two years, load capacities for ST tires climbed into almost all of the desired designated ST sizes and became the primary OEM tires for a very high percentage of the RV trailer market.

China and some other foreign manufacturers enjoy a tremendous tax incentive for ST tires in tariffs. If USA tire manufacturers can't strike a bargain with an OEM provided with a huge need, they are at a great disadvantage - money wise. They just can't afford to build tires that are going to age-out on warehouse shelfs.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:38 PM   #86
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
...The heyday for for 16" LRE LT tires as OEM OE tires on Keystone trailers was 2005-2006. The major brands were Uniroyal and a China made LT of the same designated size. The results was just as dismal as that of the previous ST tires used as OEM....
There is a large group of us here that had 2004, 2005, and 2006 Montanas. They came with Tacoma LT tires made by Cooper. Those tires were super with few problems. I ran them for 4 years and replaced them with the same tire. After 8 years I had no complaints. Neither did the other 8-10 rigs we ran around with.

After that came the switch to St tires and the infamous Goodyear Marathons. Worst tire ever!

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:04 PM   #87
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have run LT tires on my HC since I have owned it. But my camper is only 9400 pounds empty with 1800 on the hitch. There is more weight on my truck tires than on the camper tires. Disclaimer all weights empty. I can get away with LT tires. Campers have got much heavier since I bought mine. I would not put LT tires on a new much heavier camper.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:06 PM   #88
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
There is a large group of us here that had 2004, 2005, and 2006 Montanas. They came with Tacoma LT tires made by Cooper. Those tires were super with few problems. I ran them for 4 years and replaced them with the same tire. After 8 years I had no complaints. Neither did the other 8-10 rigs we ran around with.

After that came the switch to St tires and the infamous Goodyear Marathons. Worst tire ever!
I think the Carlisle tires I had on a triple axle toy hauler would give the marathons a run for their money for the worst Tire ever. All six have multiple cracks throughout the thread 3 in Long quarter inch deep within 5000 miles of use
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:17 PM   #89
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
Made in USA Goodyear Endurance tires come factory on all Jayco 5ers. Including their largest/heaviest most Luxurious models. I'm sure their 44' Pinnacle is as heavy as any Montana.
On the way to Yellowstone my close friend with a 1 year old 34 - 35' Jayco just blew a tire, ripped the lower trim off. Just did it last week. Now he is buying Sailun a little late.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:57 PM   #90
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post

I've been doing this - writing about trailer tires - for a long time. I started researching them in 2003. Our traveling companions were long time friends from our Navy years. Their rig included a 2004 Montana, like ours it had 6000# axles. It's OE tires were LT 16" Uniroyal. Not enough tire for 6000# axles. They like others we knew with Those LT235/85R16 LRE with 3042# of maximum load capacity on 6000# axles FAILED very early. Going up 400# - 500# in maximum load capacity allowed us to go at least 3 years without having to replace them.

I've always known that RV trailer axles NEED at least 15% in load capacity reserves to offset the weight imbalance inherent to RV trailer axles.

For a long time I was not allowed in this forum because our trailer was not a Montana. Our Everest, a Keystone built trailer, was always equal to a Montana. If you could look back in other forums I wrote in before being allowed to join this one you would see my history was to always support 12-15% in load capacity reserves for all RV trailer tires.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:29 AM   #91
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
On the way to Yellowstone my close friend with a 1 year old 34 - 35' Jayco just blew a tire, ripped the lower trim off. Just did it last week. Now he is buying Sailun a little late.
Was that tire one of these Endurance tires that is the subject of this thread. If so thats the second Goodyear Endurance reported with a blowout on this forum.

There is a lot of discussion about how great the Goodyear Endurance is on RVNet, by some. Here I think the experience ,and knowledge of tires, most will stay away from Goodyear tires.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:05 PM   #92
BobbyJ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25534
What Was Your Experience

Mikellf- how does your truck ride after the modifications? Not towing, is it a lot rougher? Control more loose?

I was ignorant, bought a 2019 GMC 2500 HD and thought I could buy any camper. A week later bought a really nice 2013 29RLT. 10k+ dry weight. 2107# cargo capacity on the truck and I'm sure we're exceeding that.

I'm trying to correct my ignorance. Will load up the Monty, get all the weights I can, and see how far off we are. I'll try to weigh with and without a full load of fresh water.

Will try to protect the travelling public and ourselves from driving an unsafe rig. Ignorance was bliss...for a little while.
BobbyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:33 PM   #93
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
BobbyJ I've been in the same position, once intentionally. I figured being 200 over payload would not bother me. I was shocked that it drove me crazy every minute I was towing with DW beside me unaware and trusting me every second to keep her safe. Bigger truck.

As far as trying to make a 2500 a 3500 there is more to it than replacing/adding a spring. Between running gear, axle diameter, ring and pinion diameter, etc. etc. etc. there is a lot more to it when comparing a heavier/larger truck to a smaller one. BTDT

With a 2107 payload, which some 1/2 tons have now, I figure the dry weight alone will exceed your payload after loading propane and batteries (based on 10,105 dry weight). With a carry capacity in the trailer of 3940 you're looking at a potential of 14k (approx. 2800 pin at 20%) with a 2107 payload. I know it's a 2019 but I personally wouldn't be trying to put bandaids on something that isn't meant for that load if trying to be safe - not feel better. As far as riding rough; it doesn't matter any longer now that you have a trailer you must tow to use. On the other hand, I've grown used the the HD truck suspensions and love them. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:40 PM   #94
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
On the right track with the FW tank. There are other loading adjustments to both TV and 5er. My Montana 3761 has so much rear basement storage my wife will have me pin light without a full FW tank in front of the axels. I also keep as much heavy stuff in the truck bed as possible. Your experience will be the opposite of mine. I think you can make some adjustment to help but that's not much of a payload. Going through the same with a friend's son owning a Ram 2017 diesel. The 1/2 ton capable 5er he bought chewed through his low 2200# payload. He is over towing a 1/2 ton model!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJ View Post
What Was Your Experience

Mikellf- how does your truck ride after the modifications? Not towing, is it a lot rougher? Control more loose?

I was ignorant, bought a 2019 GMC 2500 HD and thought I could buy any camper. A week later bought a really nice 2013 29RLT. 10k+ dry weight. 2107# cargo capacity on the truck and I'm sure we're exceeding that.

I'm trying to correct my ignorance. Will load up the Monty, get all the weights I can, and see how far off we are. I'll try to weigh with and without a full load of fresh water.

Will try to protect the travelling public and ourselves from driving an unsafe rig. Ignorance was bliss...for a little while.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:14 PM   #95
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
What Was Your Experience

Quote:
What Was Your Experience

Weigh your truck full of fuel and with the people you travel with if you can. At least full of fuel. Then weigh your truck and rig fully loaded, full fresh water tank and with all your camping gear packed. This will give you as close to your heaviest weights as possible. You can figure your weights from that. I never travel with full tanks. Alway empty gray and black water tanks and carry about 130 lbs of fresh water.You will need to upgrade your tires one grade/load range. on the truck. Probably need to add springs. This will increase your GVWR, and your GAWR. Your GAWR is determined by the rating of your rims, tires, and springs. My guess is you need to add at least 1000 pounds (rating) springs to your truck. Depending on your weights, maybe just helper springs, but your current springs won’t be enough. I would call around to all the spring companies in your area and ask them if they are certified by DOT to do certified modifications. If they are, they should put a yellow sticker on your door jam certifying your modifications and all your new weight ratings. You have to have your upgraded tires on your truck when they do the mods. This will give you peace of mind that they were done to DOT specs, and should you get pulled over to be checked, you can prove you are safely within your weight restrictions. It’s not cheap. But get some quotes when you figure out what you need. It is cheaper than a new truck for sure. When you weigh your RV attached to your truck you should weigh both RV axles as one, weigh them together. All you are looking for is the gross weight of your RV. Your pin weight will be the difference in weight on your rear axle AND front axle. Some of that weight goes on your front axle and most folks never figure that part. It’s not a lot but there will be some. What you will be most concerned with is the rear axle.
If you need help figuring the weights you can private message me. Oh, by the way, it does ride much stiffer. Air bags on the rear can help. I started with the air bags then found out how far overweight my truck was. Then the tires and springs. Good luck.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:52 PM   #96
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I thought in 2018 or 2019 the 3500 had a bigger ring gear and bigger axles along with bigger spring pack than the 2500. I think in some earlier years the difference was in the spring pack only. Maybe someone who is a GM expert can verify that. Back when I got my old 2000 F-350 everything was identical to the F-250 except the springs if I remember correctly. Oops there was also a 1” block in The F-350’s. Now it is a DRW, not to many weight worries but I am always curious as I go through the drive throughs if I will fit but it actually does better than my old truck with the front end leaf springs.

Tom Marty
Old 08-21-2020, 08:08 AM   #97
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsorge View Post
We are also in this camp.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:48 AM   #98
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatzzz View Post
We are also in this camp.
Are those tires S635, or S637.??
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:54 AM   #99
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
TheSailuns are 637s. There was an earlier mistaken reference to 635 that should have been 637.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #100
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
Was that tire one of these Endurance tires that is the subject of this thread. If so thats the second Goodyear Endurance reported with a blowout on this forum.

There is a lot of discussion about how great the Goodyear Endurance is on RVNet, by some. Here I think the experience ,and knowledge of tires, most will stay away from Goodyear tires.
I can only speak of my own experience with the GY Endurance. I have somewhere close to 10K on mine without any problems. Last year we did a 7600 mile 33 day trip to the PNW with a couple of 800 mi days thrown in, so they haven't been babied

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote