Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2019, 06:18 AM   #21
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
To each his own I guess. I completely understand wanting for your neighbors to be decent people that keep there property up and in good condition, but there is no way I'm going to let an HOA control what I do on my own property.

Lets see, living in an HOA community for 33 years paying $200+? a month for HOA fees =$79200. No thanks, I take that additional $$ in my settlement check when I sell.
Obviously you don't know everything you think you know about HOA fee's. We all maintain our own property and only pay dues for street snow removal and the mowing of green space, eight lawn and leaf pick-ups, an annual members dinner, and a few social events during the year. Less than $2700 total for the 33 years. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go get a dessert for our Fall block party this afternoon.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:47 AM   #22
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I think some folks need a Snickers
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #23
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track50 View Post
I'm thinking that we're just going to leave it uncovered. Give it a nice cleaning when we have a good day in the winter. Thank you all for the advice.
I'm probably one of those bad reviews on the Camco cover that I purchased from CW. The good news is that I spent a little over $500. I had it replaced under the CW extended warranty after first season's failure and then under the Camco warranty on the second season's failure. I have the new and improved Camco one that's going on next week. So $170.00 a season. I fully expect this to be trashed in the spring and won't buy another.

My HOA won't let us build a metal building and the cost of a garage big enough to house my 3829 FK is like a new house, and none of the covered storage places near us can take a 40' 5'er. My best advice is to save the headache of putting the cover on, and just wash and wax the 5'er once a year.
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #24
John McLean
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23622
Unfortunately we all do not have the luxury of storing our rigs indoors. I just sat down at the computer to order a new cover for our new Montana fifth wheel and saw the Montana Newsletter and this subject. How timely.
John McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:10 PM   #25
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Cover Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McLean View Post
Unfortunately we all do not have the luxury of storing our rigs indoors. I just sat down at the computer to order a new cover for our new Montana fifth wheel and saw the Montana Newsletter and this subject. How timely.
Where we store our trailer, there can be some pretty strong winds. That's what seems to do ours in. Last winter it tore along the seam along the entire length on one side. If you do decide to buy one, I suggest tennis balls to cover all the drain scuppers. At least that will prevent a failure from those sharp edges. The Camco cover comes with sleeves to install over the HD antenna protecting those sharp edges. We also take a medium Dominos pizza box and duct tape that over the antenna. Good luck
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:46 PM   #26
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenclme View Post
I'm probably one of those bad reviews on the Camco cover that I purchased from CW. The good news is that I spent a little over $500. I had it replaced under the CW extended warranty after first season's failure and then under the Camco warranty on the second season's failure. I have the new and improved Camco one that's going on next week. So $170.00 a season. I fully expect this to be trashed in the spring and won't buy another.

My HOA won't let us build a metal building and the cost of a garage big enough to house my 3829 FK is like a new house, and none of the covered storage places near us can take a 40' 5'er. My best advice is to save the headache of putting the cover on, and just wash and wax the 5'er once a year.
Don't count out a building to house your unit. As long as you have enough ground a very nice-looking pole building can be built for 25k or less
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:47 AM   #27
John McLean
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23622
Thank you. Have used the heavy CAMCO gutter sleeves in the past. Will use a lighter weight Classic cover on our new Montana this winter. We are located in NC, so hope the winds are not too bad. Like the idea of the tennis balls and the pizza box. Didn't think very much of the CANCO sleeves, but did use them. Going to try a new product this year. It's called the 'RV Gutter Spout Cover System' by RUDD. I ordered a set that is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.
John McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:12 PM   #28
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Save your money!

Seriously. Save the money. There's no reason to cover your RV for the winter. If you actually want to protect your RV during outside storage, you should be covering it during the SUMMER. That's when all the damage occurs. UV rays are what destroys nearly ALL RV MATERIALS. Not cold and rain or snow. These are harmless (assuming you don't have leaks). I've had maybe 7 or 8 RVs now in my 40 plus years of RVing. I live in northern Utah where real winters happen. I've never, ever covered a RV and there's not one thing about any RV I've owned that would be attributed to uncovered winter storage. It's marketing and people buy into it thinking they should put a warm blanky over their beloved RV. But, they take it off when the actual damage from the summer sun's starts. Inspect your roof and let it sit. Really. Just let it be. You just saved several hundred dollars and it'll be fine. I promise.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:09 PM   #29
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N. View Post
Seriously. Save the money. There's no reason to cover your RV for the winter. If you actually want to protect your RV during outside storage, you should be covering it during the SUMMER. That's when all the damage occurs. UV rays are what destroys nearly ALL RV MATERIALS. Not cold and rain or snow. These are harmless (assuming you don't have leaks). I've had maybe 7 or 8 RVs now in my 40 plus years of RVing. I live in northern Utah where real winters happen. I've never, ever covered a RV and there's not one thing about any RV I've owned that would be attributed to uncovered winter storage. It's marketing and people buy into it thinking they should put a warm blanky over their beloved RV. But, they take it off when the actual damage from the summer sun's starts. Inspect your roof and let it sit. Really. Just let it be. You just saved several hundred dollars and it'll be fine. I promise.
Well said!!!
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote