Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2020, 09:51 PM   #41
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
The reason I asked was that you don't want a small hydrogen accumulation inside the battery box or worse, inside the front storage compartment due to poor airflow and venting. At a concentration of only four percent by volume, hydrogen becomes a potent explosive hazard — and most published standards recommend keeping hydrogen levels below one percent.The way to maintain this safe concentration is to take advantage of hydrogen’s natural tendency to rise. Good flow-thru venting will accomplish this. Make sure water is replaced at the end of heavy recharge cycles also.
Which is why my Battery Box attaches to the stock battery vent. That black hose is the vent....

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:19 AM   #42
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
deleted

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:39 PM   #43
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
Which is why my Battery Box attaches to the stock battery vent. That black hose is the vent....

Recognizing this, is it then better to use the AGM's?
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:48 PM   #44
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenclme View Post
I do and like them. Hook up and forget.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:24 PM   #45
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
I really debated AGM vs Wet I decided wet for a couple reasons:

1. Cost: The Trojans were less then 1/2 the cost of the AGM counter part

2. We camp where temps will be 90F -100F in Eastern Washington. AGM Batteries can be damaged above 120f whereas the battery compartment will have temps like that when it is 90ish outside. They do make some AGM that can tolerate higher they but they are more expensive.

3. There is no advantage to AGM except no maintenance, however I am adding a automatic watering system to my wetcells making them virtually maintenance free.

4. Wet cell when properly maintained have a longer life expectancy then AGM, . As well Over or under charging AGM will also damage them and shorten life.

Look, life of well maintained wet cell batteries is not any better than AGM or vice versa so with auto watering it was a no-brainer for me. Another way to look at it since Wet is 1/2 the cost of AGM I get twice the life out of the wet cells since I saved enough to replace them when needed.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:39 PM   #46
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
CW only put a single 12v deep cycle in our 3820 which lasts about a day. We'd like to boon dock and will be adding solar. So I definitely plan to add at least two 6volts. I don't mind checking the water and maintaining the batteries. Didn't know about the charging profiles on the AGM's. I understand that the factory charger has to be replaced when you switch to AGM's as well.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:14 PM   #47
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
CW only put a single 12v deep cycle in our 3820 which lasts about a day. We'd like to boon dock and will be adding solar. So I definitely plan to add at least two 6volts. I don't mind checking the water and maintaining the batteries. Didn't know about the charging profiles on the AGM's. I understand that the factory charger has to be replaced when you switch to AGM's as well.
If you plan do do any real boondocking you want a minimum of 450AH total (225ah usable) and preferably more than that 600-900ah, but as long as you have a small gen to charge and run AC you can boondock with 4 6v but 2 would be a real challenge.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:26 PM   #48
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Granted this will all be new to me, but with roof mounted solar keeping the batteries charged all the time, shouldn't that be enough? I'm just running the lights, fridge, and 12v TV/Stereo, and maybe some powered roof vents. I'm not sure I can fit 4 batteries/box in that front compartment of my 3820 FK but I pull it out of storage next month and will check. Actually - thinking about it, darn - I'll need an inverter to run the satellite and coffee pot. May need those 4 batteries.