Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
triplehorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13448
Greyhound meets Monty (Happy picture upgrade)

Well last night my greyhound chased a stray cat right under our monty. [s]Here is the result! Peeled the hyde back.[/s]
Scar still visible from shoulder blade. Our puppy is doing quite well and having great camping experience in the Monty.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
Oh my goodness, that looks terrible. Hope he's ok.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Ouch! We'll pray for a speedy recovery.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
triplehorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13448
He is recovering well. Very sore this morning as expected. Anesthesia has worn off and he seems more himself. Giving him lots of "gentle" hugs.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Oh, dear. Poor baby. Poor you. Feel better soon, ALL of ya.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

I just got sick .
Old 07-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Oh my, how did that happen?
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
triplehorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13448
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by K0LCB

Oh my, how did that happen?
Susan walked out into our backyard with him and walked around the side of the house. Out jumped a siamese cat and he chased it. They ran around the back right towards the monty and she heard him yell. He came running back and there it was. BIG laceration from shoulder to shoulder, peeled back the skin 5". Was a flap, thankfully no blood. We opened the slider and he ran in. She was yelling he was cut. He stopped by me and stood pretty calmly. I draped a wet hand towel over the wound and held him still while Susan called the vet hospital down the road. Than the drama started. Had to get him into the Jeep! When we moved he screamed. 75 pounds of very lean greyhound, the skin moved every time we tried to move, lift him. Called the vet back, he said to try to stablize it with ACE bandage. That seemed to help as the skin flap was being held tightly down. Still no chance to pick him up. Any attempt he screamed in pain. After a few minutes, I decided to let him loose, well he turned to look back and "flight" response kicked in. Quickly grabbed collar and steered him to front door. Backed the Jeep up the the deck and again steered him out the door to the Jeep. Traumatic for all but got him safely into the back of the Jeep (thankfully the Jeep has hardtop and big cargo door). He layed down and I rode in back with him to vet. Vet tech was able to pick him up and carry him in. He didn't make a sound thankfully. Stood on the exam table like a trooper and IV placed in front leg, sedation, propofol, intubated and wound cleaned up nicely. They let me stay during the procedure. He woke up pretty fast after, was standing again (very drunk though) within the half hour. He was able to walk with guidance back out and lifted back into Jeep to go home. He was very confused and I think in pain, he wouldn't lay down, paced and panted around the house until the wee hours of the morning. Finally layed down and we all slept from 3 AM till about 9. He is healing nicely. Short evacuation walks on leash, he is being very careful when he walks, lays down slowly but doing very well. Thank God he is OK. He will be back to his zippy self soon I'm sure. Thankyou MOC family for condolances.

I wanted to post here because many of us have pets and before the other night the thought that this could happen never crossed my mind. These trailers have SO many sharp projections on them and are high enough that, good example, my hound chased that cat either under or around. Awareness is our friend.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Thank you for the heads up. I went out and looked, the metal under the slide walls is very sharp. That could be rough on little folks
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Oh man, the end result looks pretty awful. I'm so glad I had not eaten recently. From that story it had to be worse before that. Thanks for sparing us THAT picture. I was hungry but now I think I'll have to wait a while.

I think that Siamese cat had a switchblade and knew how to use it. Ouch!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
triplehorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13448
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Oh man, the end result looks pretty awful. I'm so glad I had not eaten recently. From that story it had to be worse before that. Thanks for sparing us THAT picture. I was hungry but now I think I'll have to wait a while.

I think that Siamese cat had a switchblade and knew how to use it. Ouch!
Yea I know. The vet was saying somewhere there is a siamese cat with a big smirk on his/her face. LOL. I was too busy to take photos before that one. The vet did a really good job putting him back together. He was just too TALL for the scooting under the trailer I guess. I knows it well as he has a big path around the trailer. I am going to put some fencing up to enclose it now. Don't want that to happen again. He is a retired racer and somewhere in that little head of his is a trigger to chase little fuzzy things. :P
Old 07-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Hoping for a speedy recovery for your "pup".
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #13
triplehorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13448
Thanks MOC family for the well wishes. We just came back from our follow up to the Vet. I was concerned about a large area of bruising on his chest so we went in early for the follow up. Well we get to do the visit today and a follow up at the 10 day mark. He is doing awsome. Thankfully he is in very good physical condition (from running in our fenced in yard). The bruising is edema and free blood under the skin moving (gravity=down) to it's lowest point. All is very good, he is returning to normal, trotting around the house behind us. We are leashing him in the yard so he can't run for another week. I'm going to fence off the monty so this can't happen again. It is 4/5 already fenced so it won't be a big issue.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
higgs6867
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13512
Wow, I hate it when bad things happen to doggies. Here's hoping for a speedy and complete recovery.
higgs6867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
triplehorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13448
Update: 10 day visit to the vet gets an A++.

Just got back from vet and Mister is doing great. Stitches are healing great, no infection and he feels much better especially after the antibiotic and RIMADYL ran out. He isn't so much enjoying the leashed walks but still reluctant to turn him loose again.

Thanks all for the well wishes.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #16
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Hope he heals quickly and with as little pain as possible.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #17
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
So glad to hear he is better and recovering well.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote