Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Trailer Brakes Redux...

Well, some of you might remember my escapades with the magnet wiring when I first purchased my used 3255RL. Anyway, we have just completed a new "discovery" repair...the story.
On return trip from fun time at Pocono NASCAR race my Prodogy started intermittently flashing SH which is a Short in brake circuit!? Lucky me I was off Highway and 10 miles to house so we just relied on my truck to do the stopping.
So...debug using my shore brake test jig (old Sentinel Controller), I plugged it in and the green light immediately started blinking (error for short circuit). My search began, brakes appear to work just very weak which I've always had concern that I can't get good drag off this trailer. I found if I reversed the connection at the front junction box (Make the white lead +DC and black lead DC ground) short was not present.
Found it!!! I've now installed new right side, through axle wire pairs as the rear axle one conductor had scuffed through. I don't understand how this would happen as they should be protected inside the axle tube...very strange.
Just need to test drive it and see if I now need to back way off on the prodogy gain.

noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
Sgrob47
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7031
I'm having a simular problem. When the TV is moving get same message as you or to switches to NC. Once stopped all works fine. Did replace all the connectors to wheel magnets didn't seem to help. Also is the wire that is going thru the axle special type, different than the wires coming from kingpin area. Any help with fixing this problem?
Sgrob47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Wires from King pin area are heavy duty and not intended to be thread through axle (won't fit). I have had on and off issues just last year installed all new magnets. The current "fix" was a trip to Tractor Supply and purchase a 4 conductor trailer wire coil. I then just peeled apart into two, two conductor lengths. Snipped the old one loose from magnet lead on each end of axle, stripped back a bit, twisted leads to new leads, added some electrical tape and pulled through axle by pushing in some length and pulling at other end until new comes out other end. Wired in magnet leads, soldered, and taped...Still need to do the test drive but am very confident I'm fixed now!
Old 06-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Sgrob47
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7031
Thanks for the advise, will give it a try. I also moved my TST tire monitor read that if within 12 will interfer with prodigy controller. So tomorrow going to give it a test drive will let you know if things are working are have to replace wire in axle crossover.

Thanks, Steve
Old 06-25-2010, 05:30 AM   #5
Sgrob47
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7031
Well my problem still exists, I bypassed the wiring in axle and ran wires on outside to see if wire in axle was problem, same problem controller say's n.c. or flashing overload condition. I also changed the controller didn't fix, guess next thing is to take wheels off and check magnets out.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Sgrob47 We just returned from our 2nd Nascar weekend (Loudon, NH) and all was good. I originally had issue with the magnet wire routing inside the drums...see issue in image below;

This show proper routing...
Old 06-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
Sgrob47
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7031
I will check the wires in drum on next place I move too, don't have time now will be on the road again tomorrow. Thanks for the info, this problem has been driving me crazy.