Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #1
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
LED Lightstrip Powersource

I have been wanting to install the led light strip under the awning. I have picked out (but not ordered) all of the components thanks to Bill Siefried. The only drawback is the power source. I wanted to take power from the porch light as it is only a few inches away from the end of the strip and use the switch as off/on if needed. I removed the cover from the porch light but there is not enough wire to tap for 12 volts. I tried pulling extra wire from the rear but they won't budge.

I believe somewhere in the LED posts someone used the existing bulb (with some modifications) to use as the power source without destroying the fixture. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who used this method with step by step directions (and maybe pictures) of what you did. Can you buy this part on-line?

Thanks.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I used a bulb, carefully broke the glass from it and removed the filament. I then checked with an ohmmeter which post was the neutral and which was the hot so the polarity to the LED controller was correct. I then used butt sleeves to connect the wires to the bulb base. I drilled a small hole into the top of the light housing, just large enough for the wire to fit and then notched it to the edge of the housing. I did remove the housing to make this easier, and when done, I sealed it with a bit of silicone caulk.

rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:24 AM   #3
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
I just soldered the ground wire to the exterior of the bulb holder and then striped the hot wire and soldered the hot wires together ...that way you can still have and use the porch light....colored the inside of the lens blue.....used extension cord conduit to cover wire from fixture to under awning...keeps everything neat looking...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:21 AM   #4
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Thank you both. That is what I was looking for. Great job guys.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:40 AM   #5
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
I also wired mine into the existing porch light, but I didn't trash that light, so I have both. The computer module is inside our Monte, drilled a hole through the skin to have the IR outside of the rig. Works like a charmer.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote