Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2015, 05:16 AM   #1
tweber502
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13660
Brake Myths

Below is a link to a very interesting article about brake pads and discs that was posted on another forum. I found it really interesting and very informative since I'm preparing to do a complete brake job on the GMC. Be advised that his verbiage in a couple of areas is a bit sketchy. Tim

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/bra...-st-1688020147

tweber502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:00 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Great post, now I'll add my $.02.

I have been telling guys on the truck forum I hang out on for years that slotted/drilled rotors were a waste of money. Then some guy would post how he put them on his truck and they were so much better than his old brakes. My standard reply: Of course they're better, because your old brakes were, well OLD! People would try to tell me how much faster their truck would stop, and I'd just shake my cyber head.

Warped rotors? This one's also a laugh. I had one guy tell me he put a indicator on his and it was running out. I told you either your bearings are bad or you have dirt behind the rotor mounting surface. Of course I was wrong. On the other hand I have seen one rotor that if checked on a flat surface would have indicated it was warped. It had rusted so badly that the webbing between the rotor surfaces had collapsed, so yeah, it was warped - and trash to boot! I have also had the unfortunate experience of having someone turn a set of rotors so the two faces weren't square to each other. Don't know how he did that, but they joined the junk pile too.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
I'll throw my $0.02 in as well. Over ten years I've cared for the Genesee County Office of the Sheriff paramedic and traffic vehicles. I've tried every rotor that has been offered to me to try, from OEM to the cheapest "piece of iron" I could find. I have never found any appreciable difference in the performance or longevity of any of the rotors I've installed on these vehicles. Salesmen come in and tout their product as the savior to our brake issues. Not one has ever lasted better than the rest. At best, brakes last 15-18 thousand miles and rotors 20-25 thousand. In my opinion, don't waste your money on more expensive rotors. It just won't pay off. Brake material on the other hand is another story. Again, I've tried many brands and materials. OEM, Wagner, Raybestos, Bendix, none of them seemed to hold up. Currently, our Tahoe's go in for warranty brake service with as little as 4,000 miles on them-can't even get to the first oil change! One brand has held up well- http://www.performancefriction.com/. After trying each and every brand that a vender insists will be the best we've ever used, we always go back to this brand. On average, they last 25-28 thousand miles on our Tahoe's. The hotter the brakes get, the better they seem to "bite". I have them installed on my tow vehicle as well and can say there is a difference.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Great read thanks everybody.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:36 PM   #5
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bethandkevin

At best, brakes last 15-18 thousand miles and rotors 20-25 thousand.
HUmmmm

130,000 miles brakes ½ worn!!

Operated 80,000 miles plus at 23,300 Lbs.

I must be doing something wrong.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
218000 on the OEM pads and rotors.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bethandkevin

.........Genesee County Office of the Sheriff paramedic and traffic vehicles...........
At best, brakes last 15-18 thousand miles and rotors 20-25 thousand...........
On average, they last 25-28 thousand miles on our Tahoe's.............
Michigan weather maybe? Or purpose for which they are used?

I have never had brakes, pads or rotors, wear out anywhere near those numbers. More like 3-5 times that.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:19 PM   #8
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
In Canada all police forces are now equipped with a program on their computers that alerts them at least 1 block away from all coffee shops, this way they have plenty of time to slow down without excessive use of their brakes, they are now averaging many thousands of miles between brake jobs....of course I am joking... But I bet if the drivers were having to pay for the brakes they would not be wearing out as quickly as they are.

Perhaps exhaust brakes and tow haul mode on those Tahoe's, along with some basic driving lessons.

I have never needed to replace brake pads or rotors/drums in anything less than 100,000 miles but let me say my wife wears them out a fair bit quicker and over the 49 years we have been married we have had the "brake" conversation more than once, which resulted in little or no adjustment on her part, but heck I have had her this long guess I will keep her in spite of her brake "shortcomings".
No plans for high performance brakes on her vehicle or mine.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:42 PM   #9
tweber502
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13660
My Sierra just rolled over 180,000 with original brakes and upon inspection I have decided new pads are in order. I was seriously considering the heavy duty drilled and slotted rotors until I read the article. I figured they would be better for when towing the Montana but now I believe I'll stick with the original equipment. I am however considering the ceramic pads. As for the police vehicles, I have found that when individuals are driving vehicles that aren't theirs they tend to not be as careful/forgiving on the equipment. The vehicles also endure MUCH more road time and stop-n-go driving than your average personal vehicle resulting in premature failure of the equipment. I know that the law enforcement here, while not being reckless, do tend to accelerate and decelerate/ride the brakes harder than the average citizen. Not condoning it, just saying. Tim
tweber502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:10 AM   #10
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
To al that replied to my comment; Yes, it is they way they are driven/used. Paramedic vehicles run "hot" nearly constantly.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:20 AM   #11
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I was a sales Rep drove an average of 45.000 miles per year. Had several Lumina's and Impala's on the average I would get about 20,000 Miles and developed rusted rotors Pads good replace with Rabestos rotors never a rusting problem with them Pads 60,000 plus obvious the OEM rotors had issues. I had an Dodge Intrepid with 75,000 miles when I turned in with original Pads and Rotors A GMC Envoy with 113000 again with original Pads and Rotors All driven in the same territory by the same driver My GMC Sierra has 70,000 with OEM.
My point depending on manufacture Brake Pads and Rotors have various degrees of quality
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote