Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 04:20 AM   #21
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
B&W hitches of course!!

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Old 01-12-2019, 05:23 AM   #22
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
When I first heard about AUH I like the idea of only 35 lbs to pull and I have a clean bed.
I called Lippert and they said specifically AUH would void the warranty.

In the kingpin manuals for both Lippert and MORRyde call out not using gooseneck adatpers. (This is what prompted me to call Lippert)

Etrailer on their website points out that it is not supported

Reese points out that their Goosebox is the only supported goosebox adaptor.

Even Anderson by having a $5M put aside to pay for your repair if they void your warranty points to the fact that they void your warranty.

I have seen and heard the argument that congress passed a law that says they cannot void your warranty.

But for me, Spending the amount of money I did for my camper I do not want to spend my time fighting with dealer, and manufacturers on who is going to pay for my repairs.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
Old 01-12-2019, 08:18 AM   #23
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
If my wife can pick up the hitch than it's not strong enough Just saying.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:30 AM   #24
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
The world she is a flat!
No it's a round!
Old 01-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #25
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547

This is a big concern to me. Did the owner do something dumb - maybe but I do know that my B&W wont collapse if I have a senior moment I did 'test' my B&W on one of those moments 9 years ago and am still using the same hitch at 50,000 miles later.

There are similar photos on the 'net elsewhere

Read about it here or the Grand Design site:https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ch-falure.html
Old 01-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #26
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Hmmmm, recycled beer cans come to mind.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:51 AM   #27
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
It happens to B&W too, no one is immune.

Heres the article:https://roadslesstraveled.us/fifth-w...hiker-trailer/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02-Hitchhiker-fifith-wheel-trailer-rollover-accident-with-BW-fifth-wheel-hitch-coupler-still-att.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	2972  
Old 01-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #28
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
[QUOTE=Dave W;1129489]

This is a big concern to me. Did the owner do something dumb - maybe but I do know that my B&W wont collapse if I have a senior moment I did 'test' my B&W on one of those moments 9 years ago and am still using the same hitch at 50,000 miles later.

There are similar photos on the 'net elsewhere

Read about it here or the Grand Design site:https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ch-falure.html[/QUOT

Yep it`s time it`s really is funny how people will make up stuff to try and justify there purchase.
The truly uninformed and not speaking from experience, go back and read post# 2
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
Old 01-12-2019, 11:05 AM   #29
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
It happens to B&W too, no one is immune.

Heres the article:https://roadslesstraveled.us/fifth-w...hiker-trailer/

....and caused by the trailer rolling way beyond limits spreading the 'arms'. The hitch with new arms will work just fine plus the truck damage was minimal vs rolling over,. Ya gotta read the article as the owner was happy with the results, bad as they were: https://roadslesstraveled.us/fifth-w...hiker-trailer/
Old 01-12-2019, 11:12 AM   #30
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
....and caused by the trailer rolling way beyond limits spreading the 'arms'. The hitch with new arms will work just fine plus the truck damage was minimal if any at all.
This was their truck damage

im sure there is going to be failure in all products made by man, im sure the engineers of B&W and Anderson factor this into making their products. At the end of the day this is a ford and chevy conversation...just saying failures happen, use what you are comfortable with and have a good vacation LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04-741-Truck-damage-from-fifth-wheel-trailer-rollover-accident.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	2973  
Old 01-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #31
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
[QUOTE=bshgto;1129507]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
The photo that I attached is what could happen if I or another did something drastically wrong using a tripod/truss design hitch like an Anderson, not a picture of impending doom for everyone. It is a concern of mine.That failure is, IMO, from an owner error in fastening the hitch to the TV which would not happen with a conventional design 5th wheel hitch, regardless of brand name. I don't give a rodent's behind what someone uses for a 5er hitch as long as you, the purchaser/owner use. Just be happy with your purchase and it's a proven safe design.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:32 PM   #32
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
I agree with most of it Dave, we have no idea the story behind the Anderson hitch failing... I tried to look it up and didn't find anything useful just a lot of speculation. From an accident, to not being properly installed, to the emergency break away being activated, to much pin weight, being overloaded, nothing concrete as to why..

I also agree I don't give a rats a$$ about what people decide to use, all we can do is arm them with information, it is up to the individual to use what he or she is comfortable with, from there they will then have their own experiences to share with us.

I own the Anderson not the one in the pictures mine is the black version, I like it for the simple fact im a Disabled Veteran and lifting 100lbs is not a viable option for me. I DONT like the way it is secured with just a twist of the handle to secure it to the ball, every time I stop I check that point of the connection. other then that I do like it. I too am amazed at how this thing actually can hold and tow up to 20k, given the fact that Anderson stands behind it with 5 million warranty (supposedly) can give someone comfort. could less be more...? who knows time will tell.... good luck on your choice, there is a lot of information on both sides, the truth for you will lye somewhere in the middle with your comfort level.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:52 PM   #33
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
and off to the races

It seems funny to me people that don`t own one, never have used one, had a friend that had one, ( that like it ) saw a picture of a broken one, heard some one that said it will void your warranty one, ( it can`t ) and never post anything about the Pull Rights version of one, can stir up such a discussion, why? I know why but the answer will get pulled, so over on the truck forum board I belong to it is becoming the hitch of choice for the younger crowd and you don`t have people trying their best to trash somebody else`s choice of hitch, I know why, but these Andersen threads are fun to watch and I just shake my head.
When they die out it will change. Life really is short lighten up.
But you do know the technology that was developed back in 1913 has trashed more truck beds and caused more damage to campers than any other type of hitch. Yes I know it`s not the hitches fault that you high hitched but the design allows you to do something stupid like not wanting to deal with double flared brake lines but with the Andersen it either on or off no in-between the visual clues do not allow you to make a mistake. As I get older this is good.

I had paragraphs in they but they kind of went away
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
Old 01-13-2019, 05:06 PM   #34
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Maybe just maybe the world is a round.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:08 PM   #35
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Good information on the Anderson hitch. I think I might look at them when I see the trucking industry change to that style technology. You just cannot beat a steel king pin and a steel base plate with a locking device that cannot release. When you have over 100k invested in your whole rigs, I’m not ready to test an aluminum product. Anderson does offer a “warranty”, but I’m pretty sure it would come with some fine print when the time came, don’t you? I’m not really biased, it’s just my own opinion. But you cannot learn new products if no one is not trying to sell them on here.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:41 PM   #36
footz1941
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21057
The flat earth society has members all around the globe
Rex and Patsy
Old 01-13-2019, 07:52 PM   #37
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesb View Post
Good information on the Anderson hitch. I think I might look at them when I see the trucking industry change to that style technology. You just cannot beat a steel king pin and a steel base plate with a locking device that cannot release. When you have over 100k invested in your whole rigs, I’m not ready to test an aluminum product. Anderson does offer a “warranty”, but I’m pretty sure it would come with some fine print when the time came, don’t you? I’m not really biased, it’s just my own opinion. But you cannot learn new products if no one is not trying to sell them on here.

I don't think anyone on here is trying to sell anyone the product. Speaking for myself I am sharing my experience. I got tired of the heresay and paid an attorney to get information regarding the warranty issues. I also know that math doesn't lie Aluminum or Kryptonite. Everyone has a choice and what works for me may not work for the next person. However misinformation should not be the basis for someone to make a choice.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #38
50sboy
Established Member

M.O.C. #13103
Hitch Removal

ok...so just a note for all hitch users....
I purchased an inexpensive engine hoist from Harbor Freight...Legs fold up and takes very little space...I lift my hitch in and out in a matter of minutes with NO STRESS. Just sayin....
Old 01-16-2019, 01:58 PM   #39
Snoopy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18896
Send a message via MSN to Snoopy Send a message via Yahoo to Snoopy
If you haven't bought the anderson yet, you might also look at the Pullrite superlite 20 K hitch. Have had mine for almost 2 years now and love it. easy to use, and lets my HC 331rl make 90 degree turns with my short bed ford.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:58 PM   #40
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
I'm on my second one

I've used one non-stop since starting with my then-new 3400RL. I'm now on my second one, with my second trailer. I will NEVER go back to the old-school pig steel hitches of yesteryear. I should post a video I made of my petite 63 year old wife completely removing that hitch by herself. Back to a clean bed in my Ram 3500 in less than 5 minutes. It was her first time ever doing it and you'll hear her say at the end of the video "Well that was simple!" I'll bet I've personally sold 20 or 30 of these hitches over the years to other RVers in parks where I've stayed.
Closed Thread