Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2004, 01:04 PM   #1
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
how close to salt water?

I read the question about salt water effects on trailers. The message was that it was a bad thing. I love the sea-air, and the sea-shore. Is there an opinion about how close you can be, or how far you should be to avoid problems? Is a mile OK?

Jack and Penny Hadley 2002 Ford 350 psd dually, no trailer yet

Montana_2194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 01:10 PM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
It all depends on duration of stay. We have stayed just over the dune from the water many times in Myrtle Beach with no adverse effects. As for storage there (as discussed in other thread) I would try and avoid that. If You were staying for more than a week at a time I would try and watch things like exposed slide gears and cylinders to make sure no rusting is going on. A quick coat of spray grease will help.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 01:36 PM   #3
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
[quote]Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly

It all depends on duration of stay. We have stayed just over the dune from the water many times in Myrtle Beach with no adverse effects. As for storage there (as discussed in other thread) I would try and avoid that. If You were staying for more than a week at a time I would try and watch things like exposed slide gears and cylinders to make sure no rusting is going on. A quick coat of spray grease will help.

John

Thanks John,

I'm thinking that any proximity is bad. Do you have an idea what is safe. I recall a motel in St. Augustine which was rotting 100 Metre from the shore. There must be some consensus about the salt spray and distance effect. Do you know? If not, where else could I look?

jhadley
Montana_2194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 04:12 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I grew up 4 miles from the water of the Gulf of Mexico. When we took a vehicle of any kind to the beach, we immediately washed that vehicle upon leaving. I mean on the way home. Now I live about three miles from Clear Lake which feeds into Galveston Bay. All salt water. I still do the wash thing if I go to the beach.

Humidity is always an enemy of metal components. Paint has improved over the years and I don't see the rusted-out cars that I have in my younger years. I still practice my early acquired habit of repairing scratches and attacking any rust I see. Occasionally, I will spend a half day just going through my tools to clean the rust off. Regular inspection of the RV and the TV for rust or deterioration is my protocol.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 04:29 PM   #5
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Sounds like some good advice. Keep a close eye on all your equipment. Happyrving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 04:50 PM   #6
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
We love visiting and being by the water but as soon as we can Jack washes both the unit and truck to get off residue and if allowed he washes it during our stay.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 03:47 AM   #7
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We camped 100 yards form the ocean in Mexico for seven years. Oiled the slid-out hardware when we got there and when we left. Washing the rig there was a wast of time. It got clean but the well water was about 30 percent salt left a real crust on every thing. But we had no problems with rust. We had the same trailer for six of those years. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote