Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2011, 12:20 AM   #1
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Calgon

I keep reading about Calgon being used in the black tank. Dumb question, but are we talking Calgon the water softener, or the Calgon "take me away" bath soap?? And, how much do you use in the black tank? Also some say Calgon and Dawn or dish soap - how much of that do you use? Same for the gray tank too?

Thanks so much!

Greg

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:26 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Calgon from the laundry aisle, the water softener, I like the liquid kind, a capful, maybe two. I have also used laundry detergent (same time) a capful or so for the black tank.

The gray tanks get ONLY the Calgon, I mean, they already have a LOT of soap residue down there, eh???

We find the best time to do this is after tanks are empty and we will be running a few hundred miles. Add Calgon to all three tanks. Add laundry soap to black tank. Add about 2 gallons of water, maybe 3 to all three tanks. Travel!

We don't bother to dump them on arrival, just continue using till your normal dump time.

We do not put ice in the black tank, seriously, if we are going to buy ice it is going to be used for cooling off my beverages. With the tank issues that have been talked around here for years, we just don't believe that tossing 10 pounds of ice down there and having it smash around while you drive is such a good idea. Our take, our tanks! LOL

We are also firm believers in MORE WATER LESS TISSUE, over and over again, MORE WATER - - - - - (that is translated as: the easily used paper does NOT go down the toilet, rather it is placed in a trash can nearby, the icky, really icky does go in the toilet. This practice keeps a LOT of paper out of that toilet.)

This is our 3rd rig, all with different toilet/holding tank configurations. First rig purchased about 1984. We have yet to have (knocking on the wooden noggin' here) a toilet clog/backup.

We have practiced the LESS TISSUE since we did some winter camping in Gaylord Michigan with a trailer that did not have heated tanks, in fact, it did not have an enclosed underbelly, so the stuff froze pretty much right away. Was the only time we were concerned as we could see a mountain building. We immediately changed our methodology and made it through the winter no problem and no problem in the spring when it thawed either. We added a LOT of water before that dump! LOL

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have been using he liquid Calgon water softener for years. I do not wait for my tanks to get full. I empty every time we stop that has full hook-ups. (well, 99.99% of the time) I flush, fill with 5 or so gallons back into the black tank. Then I dump two cap-fulls of Calgon, and one dry packet of deodorizer.

You will be amazed at future dumping and back flushing of how nice, easy, and inside slippery the whole process is.

I have heard the the dish-washing detergent Cascade has granules that assist in the cleaning, although I don't know how much needs to be used. As for any type of plain old dish soap, one has to be careful of how much is being used otherwise you could be sloshing down the highway with the top vent of the RV looking like a locomotive with the soap suds generated. The dish-washer detergent does not foam like dish soap detergent.

JMHO

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:39 AM   #4
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Been using one cap of Calgon per black tank refill for a number of years, no problems yet.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we use the calgon. Don't know if it does any good or not but it is one of those things we have been doing for years.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Thanks for the replies! We have used the "less tissue" method for years too, works well. Not sure if it was smart but instead of ice, once in a while to agitate the tank we used Oxyclean - figured it may have an effervescent effect??
Old 11-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Calgon from the laundry aisle, the water softener, I like the liquid kind, a capful, maybe two. I have also used laundry detergent (same time) a capful or so for the black tank.

The gray tanks get ONLY the Calgon, I mean, they already have a LOT of soap residue down there, eh???

We find the best time to do this is after tanks are empty and we will be running a few hundred miles. Add Calgon to all three tanks. Add laundry soap to black tank. Add about 2 gallons of water, maybe 3 to all three tanks. Travel!

We don't bother to dump them on arrival, just continue using till your normal dump time.

We do not put ice in the black tank, seriously, if we are going to buy ice it is going to be used for cooling off my beverages. With the tank issues that have been talked around here for years, we just don't believe that tossing 10 pounds of ice down there and having it smash around while you drive is such a good idea. Our take, our tanks! LOL

We are also firm believers in MORE WATER LESS TISSUE, over and over again, MORE WATER - - - - - (that is translated as: the easily used paper does NOT go down the toilet, rather it is placed in a trash can nearby, the icky, really icky does go in the toilet. This practice keeps a LOT of paper out of that toilet.)

This is our 3rd rig, all with different toilet/holding tank configurations. First rig purchased about 1984. We have yet to have (knocking on the wooden noggin' here) a toilet clog/backup.

We have practiced the LESS TISSUE since we did some winter camping in Gaylord Michigan with a trailer that did not have heated tanks, in fact, it did not have an enclosed underbelly, so the stuff froze pretty much right away. Was the only time we were concerned as we could see a mountain building. We immediately changed our methodology and made it through the winter no problem and no problem in the spring when it thawed either. We added a LOT of water before that dump! LOL

Thanks for the thorough reply Carol!! On a different topic I think I saw you on Keystone's website today?? I hit a link which took me to a video where the Montana owner's were visiting the plant... You're famous!!
Old 11-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Thanks for the thorough reply Carol!! On a different topic I think I saw you on Keystone's website today?? I hit a link which took me to a video where the Montana owner's were visiting the plant... You're famous!!
Yes, I am infamous alright, ROTFLOL, OHHHH MYYY!!!

As are a whole lot of our MOC friends, LOTS of em!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote