Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
Maury
Established Member

M.O.C. #11300
RV Tire wear & connection to Mor-Ryde??

Presently on the third tire on front axle, passenger side, as replaced tires showed intense, uneven wear on outside tread. Technician recently suggested this problem due to incomplete installation of Mor-Ryde components such as grease accepting bearings, stronger frame drop-down plate, additional rod across frame, etc. Said this type of suspension system is excellent but seldom totally installed - just enough to carry the Mor-Ryde label. Possible? Or, pardon my paranoia, another attempt to make money off a worried senior?

Maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Maury,
I suggest you provide the membership more information about your unit (model and year, packages etc.), action taken to date and any additional information you can so our experts can help. It could happen that some well meaning member while trying to be helpful could steer you wrong without that information.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If you have tire wear that you describe, there is something wrong. I don't know what he meant by "incomplete installation", but obviously there is an alignment problem. Mor/ryde has more than one product used on RV's. Maybe a second opinion is in order.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I don't know what you have or how many miles are on what you have, but you need to quit buying tires and have the cause looked after. With very few miles on my 2011, I notice signs of tire wear. Both my axles straight from the factory had little to no camber and incorrect toe in ... in fact the front axle was toed out. I had the camber and toe in adjusted per spec locally at Atlas Spring and Axle which Keystone paid for in full. My rig pulls so much better. Some on here have simply had their axles replaced ... to each his own. None the less, you need to have your suspension components professionally looked at before you deplete the local tire inventory !
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Definitely sounds like an axle or camber problem.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
Maury
Established Member

M.O.C. #11300
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Maury

Presently on the third tire on front axle, passenger side, as replaced tires showed intense, uneven wear on outside tread. Technician recently suggested this problem due to incomplete installation of Mor-Ryde components such as grease accepting bearings, stronger frame drop-down plate, additional rod across frame, etc. Said this type of suspension system is excellent but seldom totally installed - just enough to carry the Mor-Ryde label. Possible? Or, pardon my paranoia, another attempt to make money off a worried senior?
Thank you all for your prompt response. I DO hope to get out of the tire business but, frankly, am having a lot of trouble believing much of what dealers tell us. I have heard this suspension allows alignment; I have heard it does not. As I noted, now I am hearing there are parts missing and, for $400, these parts can be added. I hear this is a basic warranty covered item and I have heard that it's a maintenance issue and therefore not covered. First tire showed steel cords with about 3000 miles on it; second tire showed a few bare "cups" after one year. I agree it seems to be be an alignment issue but who does one believe as to whether or not such can be done? Also, have heard axle may be bent - dealer says maybe its a warranty item and maybe not. I have also heard the 6000 lb. axle is too light and 8000 should be put on; others say 6000 is just fine. These contradictions are why I joined this forum and appreciate your input very much.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If it were me, I would take the rig to a place where they specialize in axles and alignments on trailers (not a dealer), have them determine what the issue is and suggest a fix. Then you can make an informed decision.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:53 AM   #8
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
I've had two monty's both came with axle problems 1st was out of alinememt it took two different shops to fix it. my 08 the axle was strapped down to tight on the semi that delivered it to the factory and took out the bend in the axle. Dexter sent my repair shop a new axle they installed it and I havn't had any axle problems since, tires were another issue but now I have G-614's so that problem is solved. This is our 9th year rving, (6 to 8 mo. a yr.) I know your from Mn. but if you get to central Pa. I have the best axle shop . The last two repairs were about $110. each Just off I-80 @ exit 133 let me know if any one wants his info. Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:21 AM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm with Stiles, have a business that deals in trailer and truck suspension take a look at your fiver. Most RV dealers that I know of have no equipment to adjust axles, alignment, and such ... after you drop your rig off, the dealer then transports it down the road to a business that has the equipment for the job. Many RV dealer service mechanics simply bolt on what the factory sends out as far as a repair. I've been under my fiver with the Mor/Ryde suspension ... other than aftermarket devices, I don't have any idea what adjustment the Mor/Ryde suspension provides on it's own other than different rubber densities for the mount in the equalizer box. Axles can either be replaced or adjusted using heavy chains and hydraulic power. If the spring hangers are not true to the frame and kingpin that's another issue yet. The XFactor is an add-on beam that in essence "boxes" your frame providing more support in the spring hanger area thus reducing twisting forces and such. I wouldn't term this as a "missing" part. Depending on date of manufacturer, milage, certified weight slips for your fiver (I got mine weighed locally at a truck scale), tire carcasses for verification ... Keystone may / will reimburse you for parts or service needed. You can work on this both through your dealer and Keystone Customer Service as I did. The more photos and documentation, the better.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:51 AM   #10
Maury
Established Member

M.O.C. #11300
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

I'm with Stiles, have a business that deals in trailer and truck suspension take a look at your fiver. Most RV dealers that I know of have no equipment to adjust axles, alignment, and such ... after you drop your rig off, the dealer then transports it down the road to a business that has the equipment for the job. Many RV dealer service mechanics simply bolt on what the factory sends out as far as a repair. I've been under my fiver with the Mor/Ryde suspension ... other than aftermarket devices, I don't have any idea what adjustment the Mor/Ryde suspension provides on it's own other than different rubber densities for the mount in the equalizer box. Axles can either be replaced or adjusted using heavy chains and hydraulic power. If the spring hangers are not true to the frame and kingpin that's another issue yet. The XFactor is an add-on beam that in essence "boxes" your frame providing more support in the spring hanger area thus reducing twisting forces and such. I wouldn't term this as a "missing" part. Depending on date of manufacturer, milage, certified weight slips for your fiver (I got mine weighed locally at a truck scale), tire carcasses for verification ... Keystone may / will reimburse you for parts or service needed. You can work on this both through your dealer and Keystone Customer Service as I did. The more photos and documentation, the better.
Thanks, again. Noted the add-on beam which is one item this person mentioned. Also showed me a badly worn bracket as well as one with a nylon sleeve which he said should be brass. Pointed out another part that he said should be one that can be greased regularly. Also, a connecting bracket that he said should be at least twice the thickness of the one that is on there. I checked with dealer and he said he had heard nothing re: Mor-Ryde issues. As to tires - dealer said must just have been a bad tire and there is no warranty on those and "thought" maybe 2nd tire could be due to alignment and is a maintenance issue and not warranty and that is where I discovered not all can be aligned. Do I understand your belief that all of these can be aligned at the appropriate shop?

Maury
Old 04-13-2011, 06:27 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The axles can be bent which accomplishes the alignment and the proper camber on your tires. Axles can be accidentally bent (running over curbs, etc.) which can result in uneven tire wear. You need an experienced pro to look at it and correct it if needed.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:53 AM   #12
Maury
Established Member

M.O.C. #11300
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

The axles can be bent which accomplishes the alignment and the proper camber on your tires. Axles can be accidentally bent (running over curbs, etc.) which can result in uneven tire wear. You need an experienced pro to look at it and correct it if needed.
Bingo
Gotcha! Thanks for the info.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #13
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
To confirm or clear up what your service tech said ... until recent model year most all Montanas came with standard shackles (the short arms between the springs and mounts)and a pitiful nylon bushing surrounding the shackle bolt inside each spring eye. Recent model year has gone to the thicker shackles and a greasable bolt with a brass or bronze bushing which is sturdier all around. All of the above can be bought and installed to give more peace of mind. As for your dealer saying alignment and used up tires is considered general maintenance and is not covered by warranty ... in my case I disagreed, documented everything, took photos, and presented my case directly to Keystone customer service as well as thru a dealer. After reviewing my issues with a brand new unit ... Keystone came thru and reimbursed me for what it took to make my running gear right. As you have confirmed, axles can be tweeked back into specs, but going out on a limb here with an arm chair diagnosis ... if you indeed are pealing off tires solely on one end of one axle , I'd venture to say the spindle is bent on the end of the axle which may require an axle replacement. Again, that is an arm chair guess ... take your fiver to a business that deals in trailer suspensions then go from there.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:18 AM   #14
Maury
Established Member

M.O.C. #11300
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

To confirm or clear up what your service tech said ... until recent model year most all Montanas came with standard shackles (the short arms between the springs and mounts)and a pitiful nylon bushing surrounding the shackle bolt inside each spring eye. Recent model year has gone to the thicker shackles and a greasable bolt with a brass or bronze bushing which is sturdier all around. All of the above can be bought and installed to give more peace of mind. As for your dealer saying alignment and used up tires is considered general maintenance and is not covered by warranty ... in my case I disagreed, documented everything, took photos, and presented my case directly to Keystone customer service as well as thru a dealer. After reviewing my issues with a brand new unit ... Keystone came thru and reimbursed me for what it took to make my running gear right. As you have confirmed, axles can be tweeked back into specs, but going out on a limb here with an arm chair diagnosis ... if you indeed are pealing off tires solely on one end of one axle , I'd venture to say the spindle is bent on the end of the axle which may require an axle replacement. Again, that is an arm chair guess ... take your fiver to a business that deals in trailer suspensions then go from there.
Noted your comments and will pursue this with dealer when we get there at end of April. Completed the upgrade (brass sleeves, stabilizer bar, grease fittings, thicker shackles, and added, also, 4 shocks. I was amazed at the wear on the replaced items as I wonder how much longer I could have been on the road before part/all of the suspension system would have failed? Also upgraded the rated E tires from 6 to 10-ply. The $1300 bill meant some severe belt-tightening for us but I feel more secure now. Presently in Idaho Falls and have oldest son working on Home Entertainment system of which dealer has already replaced DVD player 3X and current one not working. He found wires going to wrong speakers, sub-woofer inside cabinet and not usable in that position, covered air vents on electronics, etc. Wanted to get permission for new system under extended warranty and dealer provided me with contract # and telephone at MBAC and kept on-line for 41 minutes at which time I was told I was at wrong station and then transferred! After another wait of 17 minutes, I hung up, recontacted dealer and obtained permission from them to proceed. Becoming more and more convinced: 1) dealers want to sell and provide non-warranty services; 2) warranty companies happy for payment and very difficult to get claims; 3) RV "doctors" often learning as they work, at your cost, on your rig. I imagine I am no different from many of you who are also not exactly "handymen/women" and who are trying to locate some agency/person who can be totally trusted. One final thing - a Texas mechanic I thought "walked on water" cleaned and replaced old shocks but charged me for new ones plus installation. Only "caught" because another mechanic suggested I replace my "original" shocks and when I showed him my paper work from Texas (2011 April) he followed up and learned the other guy had indeed purchased 4 shocks but returned two of them! Considering fraud charges as I am so ______ off by the negative experiences of the past 8 years, I'd like to see someone held accountable. On the other hand, if I go that route, it will be years before I get retrieve my earlier money. (Thanks, folks, for "listening.")

Maury
Old 04-23-2011, 06:18 AM   #15
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Have your axles aligned. Keystone doesn't do that at the factory, at least not well, and it's a fairly common problem.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:46 AM   #16
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
This is a bit off track for the thread but I thought folks here might be interested in this story.

At my winter camp, one of my fellow campers with SOB had a one tire wear issue. He discovered the axle had been crushed by over tightened u-bolts on that wheel. This caused the axle to bend on that end, enough to wear out tire. This was a brand new rig so obviously a factory induced error.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #17
54dsmall

M.O.C. #10962
After my maiden voyage with my 2004 Big Sky I noticed unusual wear on the outside of my tires. Had someone follow me while towing and the tires were turning with the top out and bottom in. Had the axles checked and the rear axle was bent. Mechanic said it could easily have bent by hitting a good pothole. In California there are plenty of them. No problems since replacement.
54dsmall is offline   Reply With Quote