Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
San Diego Bound

We are leaving San Antonio this Sunday, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise. Looks like a good window, weatherwise. Will be taking I10 to I8 all the way. Planning on stops at: Ft Stockton, Las Cruces, Tucson, Yuma and on to Jamul CA (just east of SD). Any suggestion on overnight CGs welcome, don't need fancy, just off the road. We have decided on Beaudrys in Tucson, where I might be able to get tires done. All others still open......

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We just stayed in Benson, Az. About 40 miles east of Tucson at Butterfield RV Resort (520-586-4400). It's only about a half hour drive
to Tombstone and the OK corral. Walmart and Safeway are close by and it's about 5 minutes off of I10. We plan on staying there in March
on the way to the Texas Rally. It's a real clean and nice park.

I did not see that you had decided on a park in Tucson.
Butterfield is a nice place, we stayed there 8 nights and
never ran out of things to do.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Phil and Cathy
if you feel like getting off track for a couple of days come by Fountain of Youth RV Park. Off I-8 about an hour, but a great park i the middle of nowhere. Plan on staying a few days. Only 3 hours to San Diego from here. We will be working here thru April 15th. Right now, as of 2-10-10 we are full, but after Feb 28th things open up a little. Maye we will see you. Dave and Teresa
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We have stayed at the Las Cruces KOA. EXIT 135 (Rt 70) off West I-10 about a mile to the KOA on the right. Proceed on Rt 70 for town and services, if necessary. The park is nice and clean. Not overly huge but very level sites. There is a bit of a rise to get into the CG but it's flat after that. Being on a rise, the view of the city and northern mountains is nice.

Last time I was there was about 2 years ago and there was a lot of contruction and we had to use exit 139 off West I-10 then went north to connect to Rt 70, then turn left (west). The KOA will be on the left side in this direction. This makes it about a 4 1/4 mile off I-10 but stay on rt 70 westbound to continue on I-10 west.

On edit: Fountain of Youth RV Park... is that in Frink, CA east of Salton Sea? If so, we've been there. The grounds are flat the sites very level and clean because I recall lots of pavement which keeps everything pretty clean. We went there in April some years back and the temps were over 100. I would much more prefer this time of the year, but it's probably full of Snowbirders. Nice to know an MOCer is taking good care of it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

We are leaving San Antonio this Sunday, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise. Looks like a good window, weatherwise. Will be taking I10 to I8 all the way. Planning on stops at: Ft Stockton, Las Cruces, Tucson, Yuma and on to Jamul CA (just east of SD). Any suggestion on overnight CGs welcome, don't need fancy, just off the road. We have decided on Beaudrys in Tucson, where I might be able to get tires done. All others still open......
Aren't you an Escapee? If so, the SKP park in Yuma (KOFA) is a good place to stop. Mel and Evelyn Nobis manage that park and are extremely good at what they do. We dry camp every time we go through that area.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:18 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
PHil,
We have stayed at Hacienda RV Park in Las Cruces, NM. It was a very nice park. It is just off of I-10.

Have a safe trip.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:21 AM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Phil,
If you want to get anything done at Beaudrys you might want to call ahead as they are very busy and understaffed since emerging from bankruptcy. They are not a Keystone dealer anymore, a dealer from Phoenix will be opening a new dealership east of Beaudrys next month. There are several Discount tire shops in Tucson, maybe one of them could help you
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:14 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Phil and Cathy, if you are Escapees members, there is a very, very nice Escapees Co-op in Benson. We spent a month there a couple of years ago. The rate for members is very low. And if all you want is dry camping, it's 5 bucks, or was then. They do not take reservations but if they don't have a site for you they'll still let you use the dry camping area. Escapees Saguaro Co-op.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
If you are an SKP member there is also a park just west of Casa Grande. It is about a mile or two north of the I-8. I believe it may have been THE very first SKP park. If they don't have a vacant hookup site they have a nice dry camp area.

Have a great trip.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Phil--

If you are looking to get G614 tires, you might call the Goodyear Wingfoot Commercial Tire Center in Tucson and see how their prices compare to Beaudry. When we were there two years ago, service was first come first serve with no appointments, but the staff was friendly and professional.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Made it to Ft Stockton today, shortly after arriving the wind started and is just now settling down al little. We are at Hilltop RV Park on the West side of town just off I10. This will give us a quick start tomorrow on our way to Las Cruces.

Charlie, We did make reservations at Beaudry Service for later in the week. Hopefully our tires will be in at Sams Club when we get there, otherwise we have an appointment at Wingfoot Goodyear Commercial Tire Center.(Thanks David). They say they have the tires in stock an can install them on Thursday. It's funny we can get the Goodyear tires cheaper at Sams than a Goodyear place, go figure...

We have decided to stay at Beaudry C G for a few days as I want to see some friends while there and don't want the drive to Benson.

Art, we have an overnight stay arranged at the Las Cruces KOA.

Not sure we can make the FOY but will keep it in mind in case we find some extra time...

Thanks everyone for the replies....

Phil
Old 02-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #12
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
We are in Benson at one of our membership parks. The SKP'S park is right next to us and the sign says FULL dry camping only. Just FYI.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Sitting at Las Cruces KOA, nice well kept park. Pull thru sites fairly close, too close for extended stays but they have some outer back in sites that look pretty nice. Nice folks and well stocked store. Went to Red Lobster for dinner, great break from sandwiches and leftovers. Park is easy off and on to I10. Would overnight here again, possibly stay longer in one of the other sites if we saw a need to be in Las Cruces.

I just wanted to add that this park has GREAT water pressure and taking a shower was a pleasure....
Old 02-16-2010, 11:28 AM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Arrived in Tucson today, sitting inside with 72 degrees outside. Many Montana here in Beaudry CG. Any MOC members here? We are in site number 1469, drop by if here. Great drive today from Las Cruces, I like these uneventful trips. We will be here a couple days while I try and change out our tires for the Goodyears.

Dennis, we waved as we flew thru Benson today. Had lunch at the top of the hill rest stop between Wilcox and Benson. Nice stopover.

Grant I will call you this evening.

Phil
Old 02-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #15
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
RPHOWARD, WorkerB, Jretz, and we are all camped here on BLM land on Ajo Road. If you hook up with Grant you will pass by us. But you will have to be quick as many of us are moving on tomorrow (Wednesday).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #16
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Hey - Ajo??????????? You must be near us....what is happening???????
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #17
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Jo-Anna

Hey - Ajo??????????? You must be near us....what is happening???????
Ajo Road in Tucson is about 123 miles from the town of Ajo. But we will be passing through Ajo tomorrow on our way to Puerto Penasco. We will try to remember to wave.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:43 AM   #18
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
We left BLM land and are now at Kartchner State Park in space # 42 next door to Jretz. Lots to do so won't be home till Happy Hour for the next three days. If you are nearby stop by for a soda or sumthin.
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:21 AM   #19
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
WorkerB
We took the Cavern tour a couple weeks ago at Kartchner. Make sure you take one of the tours, their amazing.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #20
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Arrived in Yuma. I know there must be some nice CG's here, but Shangri La is not one of them. We are so close to our neighbors that we could reach out the window and touch their coach. We are in a pull thru site NEAREST I8. It will definitely be ear plugs tonight. A patch of grass in the "pet area" with a sign that says "No pets on the grass" Go figure!! We hooked up our 30 amp cord and quickly blew the CG breaker when we turned on the microwave, so had to get the Anaconda out of the basement. Glad we are just overnighting, oh yeah $45.00 a night. San Diego tomorrow......Thank God!!!!!