Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Camp Tonkawa Lake Springs - Garrison, TX

Wow! I read some reviews about this park and now I have first hand information. We are making this a stopover for the night. This is Texas folks, and it is HOT this time of year. We were close to, if not over, 100 degrees here. On top of that the Dash air did not want to put out cold air.

As I sit here typing this, tell your children and grandchildren that there are 15 head (minimum) of deer outside my RV. The neighbor children are feeding them by hand and touching the antlers. I'm not sure if that is a wise thing or not, but these deer seem to have been tamed by the human environment. There is one 10 feet from the coach. My wife is outside taking pictures and conversing with the children. The food is now gone, so the deer are wandering away. There is one Albino deer, there are some two tone brown and white and spotted ones also, with a black top, brown bottom one.

Oops! Now they are all, 15 of them, within 10-20 feet as a herd while the children feed them corn out of a pan.

Take the children to this CG. It's more like an animal farm.

Oh! the sites. Dirt, grass, deer, FHU and level. Not much around, but I hear there is a nice swimming pool that is spring fed just down the hill on the CG. Don't know, haven't visited it.

Here's a picture for the children to enjoy:

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:54 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Waynm, Glad you enjoyed Tonkawa Springs! And I can assure you that the temperature was OVER 100 yesterday. Where are you headed from there?

Just a personal memory: when I was a boy scout in the late 1940's, I spent a week in old "Camp Tonkawa" which was then the official Boy Scout campground for the East Texas Area Council. There was, of course, no RV park there then, but it is exactly the same spot with the COLD spring water swimming pool. It was a magic place to me then.

We have stayed one time there in our RV, and I walked over the ground identifying at least some of the treasured places of my boyhood. Thanks for causing me to recall those days.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
David,
You are more than welcome. Another trip back would even revive more memories.

We are home in Texas City, TX. We started in mid April, across Louisianan, Mississippi, Florida Panhandle, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas, and back home to Texas. It was a nice trip with 20 campgrounds along the way.

I give DW a month to a month and a half before she is hopping around looking to go somewhere.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:43 AM   #4
mperk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1124
Just FYI the white spotted deer are Axis deer (not native) there is no season on them.
mperk is offline   Reply With Quote