Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2012, 04:04 AM   #1
hevenrude
Established Member

M.O.C. #12151
Front Living Entertainment Cabinets

Hello newly found friends,
We have discovered upon arrival in Summerdale, Alabama that our entertainment center in our new 3750fl has be damaged. The back panels and side walls beside the fireplace have seperated causing the back panels to fall away leaving a opening. Not sure how this happened. The roads traveled here did not seem that harsh.
It looks as if the fireplace will have to be removed for proper repairs but still not sure if this is something I would like to attempt. Has anyone else had this same problem, and if so, how was it handled.
I feel I should first call Keystone for their advice - anyone have their contact info?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

hevenrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:09 AM   #2
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
It being a 2012, I would call the dealer I got it from. The dealer we got our's from said they would always be our first contact. They said if we had any problem any where to call them and they would resolve it. Almost sounds too good to be true.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:40 AM   #3
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
It sounds like a bit of sloppy workmanship by the factory. You can contact any authorized service center (see the Keystone website for the list) for warranty service. A selling dealer may not be your best choice although it's possible that'll be your only choice. There are many authorized service centers that are not dealers but who specialize in service and in my experience, they often do a much better job at service than a dealer. Quality service by these folks is after all their lifeline. Good luck!
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:30 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Since you are listed as full-timing, I assume it is safe to assume that you are far from the dealer where you purchased the rig. I think with that considered, that you are correct that you should contact Keystone-Montana directly, explain your situation, and I am sure they will react accordingly. Their contact information is available on the website: Keystone-Montana.com.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
hevenrude
Established Member

M.O.C. #12151
Hey Bingo & Cathy - Looks as if you have the very same model we have - That's awesome.
You are right, we are very far from our dealer located in Sturgen Bay, Wisconsin. - Right now we are in Summerdale, Alabama. - Might I say that our experience with our dealer was not very plesant. They have not been very accepting of our problems and do not seem to show any care helping us solve them. Being totally new to the rving experience, that struck us hard. Anyway, we move on.

I took a closer look at the back and side panels and think I will be able to make the needed repairs myself. All I need to do is remove the fireplace and then reattach them. Maybe my previous years of carpentry will come into play. Besides that will give me something to accomplish today while resting.

If that doesn't work out too well then I will contact the nearest keystone service center for warranty work. Besides, I also have a Fantastic fan that will not work properly and the bedroom closet slide sticks when opening at set-up. Not sure what's going on there.

Thanks - I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
not trying to make it sound serious,but do you think you might have some frame flex in the front? There have been some other post that have had some closet damage and found to be the pin area was either weak or cracked which in turn caused the interior damage.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Harold,
Sent you a PM.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
hevenrude
Established Member

M.O.C. #12151
Thanks Mike - got your PM

racerjo - How would I find out for sure if it was "frame flex" as you put it? Everything looks to be fine from what I can tell at first look.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
there were some post on here that were saying when going down the road,looking in the mirror they saw unusal movement between the pin and the trailer. I will try to find a link for you,but maybe someone who has had this problem will be here to help
I did a search on "cracked frame" and found some issues that might help. Go to the search page and type in cracked frame and you will find one of the post
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Call Keystone, if they even suspect frame flex they will want a dealer to take the cap off and look for sure. Then it's either fixed or you have no need to worry.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #11
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
If it is frame flex he has plenty to worry about as he is fulltiming which means no home or place to go while Keystone and the repair facilities take how long to fix this issue? We have heard the nightmares on parts getting to its destination and so on. Hopefully its not frame flex and its just some good ole fashion RV repair we all come accustomed to.

Good luck Harold. We are fulltimers also, and this is one of them things that do make you wonder what we will do if the rig is in for repairs for a lengthy time.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:18 AM   #12
Krusher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11244
Had the same happen on my 3750FL last year, after traveling down I10 between Houston and the MS Gulf coast. Has to be the worst road in the nation, as it literally shook the fillings out of my teeth. I removed the fireplace, and reattached the back panel, adding Gorilla tape along all the seems. The back panel is too thin to just be held with the brads/stapples the factory applied. Has held up ever since.
I also changed out my Reese fifth wheel for a Trailer Saver hitch after that trip. I was originally concerned about the flame flex metioned above, but have not seen any unusually movement in my mirror since.
Krusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:49 AM   #13
hevenrude
Established Member

M.O.C. #12151
Thanks for all of your concerns and information. Y'all are becoming good friends fast..

What kind of "unusual movement" are we talking about here because I always double check my mirrors while pulling and have not noticed anything of first concern.

Krusher - I will probably take the same repair measures you have. Great idea with the application of Gorilla tape as a secondary.

As for having the additional pulling support and/or comfort other than the Reeses Pro 18,000 - I do have Firestone airbags on my truck suspension which really helps absorb the roughness in the road.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:05 AM   #14
Krusher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11244
I have a large fifth wheel level, like this one http://tweetys.com/giantlevel5thwheelkit.aspx mounted on the pin box. I can look in the truck mirror and see how much deflection or movement the pin box has in relation to the front cap of the fifth wheel. Most I have seen is about 1/2 inch. In my opinion only, any more than that might indicate you have a broken weld, metal deflection, or flex.

Hope this helps. If you have concerns, I would certainly have the dealer check it for you.
Krusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:30 AM   #15
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
I had a problem on the road, not near any Keystone dealers, so called Keystone. They authorized repair at a non-keystone dealer, and reimbursed me through my purchasing dealer. I agree with other posts, I would worry about frame flex. Plus, homemade repairs might adversely affect warranty if issue is more serious than cosmetic damage.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:55 AM   #16
hevenrude
Established Member

M.O.C. #12151
Hello again,
I have not, as of yet, attempted my repair of the cabinets. I plan on the repair today if weather allows.
I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong, that as a RV (Home) owner I have the right of due diligence to repair minor items at will without the threat of warranty violation. Items such as light switch replacement, repairing inoperative fans, repairing cabinets ect.
Of course major mechanical repairs that constitute product manipulation would violate warrany and that is not my intent.
I will monitior the possible frame flex and address accordingly with the manufacturer if needed and of course the need of adjustment to the bedroom slide will be addressed through them as well in good time - right now it does not impose any discomfort.

Where does the line get drawn?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:30 AM   #17
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Suggest contacting Keystone to get this issue noted on your records, now, it is well within the warranty time frame.

We had frame flex, and we could NOT see any "flexing" going on while towing, it was the different between being ON the truck hitch and NOT being ON the truck hitch that we saw spaces opening on the outside.

This is not a good description, again, try the search engine, frame flex. There are some good descriptions of what to look for, exactly where and how much to start being concerned about.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #18
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Anything you fix or change cosmetically will not allow the shop to see how bad the origianal damage was to begin with. They may be able to see something that would tell them the extent of the damage if you don't alter it.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote