Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Changed out outlet in bedroom

Good thing Sue can hear, any electrical outlet that 'sizzles' can't be good, all I hear are the crickets that live in my head...
She said the outlet was making those noises with the heater plugged into it. So, I changed it out.
OK: Kill the power before doing nay electric work on a circuit, verify it is off...twice.
If you think you can't do it, don't do it, and Bla bla bla, you are all adults and not dummies..
I used an open-backed box, don't do that, use a proper enclosed electrical box....if you can find one, if not, use the same crapola that comes with it, don't do what I did, it's just that the outside wall is not thick enough to use many proper boxes.
Use a matched outlet for the wire and breaker supplying it: 15 amp outlet with 14 Ga. wire and 15 amp breaker. 20 amp outlet with a 20 amp breaker and 12 ga. wire.
Anyway, here it is:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue1...eat=directlink

Note the marks on the wires, that is all the electrical contact there is, and the connectors are knife-edged. Pitiful...

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
did you find signs of burning inside the outlet? You can't make those connections in a house why do they treat an rv that handles a lot of the same appliances so different?
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I've used the Wire Mold brand boxes for additions and replacement boxes. They worked out really well.

I don't think I've run across any just like that....looks like some sort of squeeze, wire piercing receptacle. I was just thinking it was a backstab receptacle when I looked at it, but the insulation isn't stripped. I think backstabs are up to code. Screws are better though, in my opinion.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by racerjoe

did you find signs of burning inside the outlet? You can't make those connections in a house why do they treat an rv that handles a lot of the same appliances so different?
I said it before and I'll say it again, they do ths absolute minimum for the o'l mighty dollar! Your absolutely right racerjoy, I was checking outlets in our new unit and my son who is an electrician looked at how the outlet was assembled and said, you going to replace all these fire hazards, right. He couldn't believe they didn't even remove the paper off the ground wire. We did find paper in the connection. And as a reminder, check your converter wire connections. I checked mine and found connections with the wire insulation fastened down under the screw. The copper wire was not tight under the screw. So little insulation was stripped off the wire it was sad. This folks is a real fire hazard! I can't believe they didn't throw in aluminum wire for good measure.
Not a complaint just an observation! They can be made to change, but the consumers of this product need to change first.

Kevin

Ps: this can start right here. Sorry I don't understand how a forum works behind the scenes, but, it would be great if our "problems" area of our forum was also sent to the manufacturer. It would enforce our complaints with our units. Right now this is all floating in cyber space.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Holy crap! Makes one wonder how they wired the A/C and refrigerator! Household electrical components are CHEAP, and it doesn't take a whole lot of time to strip wires and screw them in.
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:24 PM   #6
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I checked a large number of RV repair faculties looking for an out fit that would do quality work and knew what they are doing.

I finally found one. When I called them and told them what work I needed and what year and make my fifth wheel was they refused to work on a “low end” fifth wheel trailer.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:45 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Hi

I checked a large number of RV repair faculties looking for an out fit that would do quality work and knew what they are doing.

I finally found one. When I called them and told them what work I needed and what year and make my fifth wheel was they refused to work on a “low end” fifth wheel trailer.

Phil P

Ouch! you are lucky they turned you down, if that is the case. I can't see why any repair shop would refuse such an 'upgradable' unit such as ours... Sound like a bunch of snobs to me.

Oh, I remembered that the Tan-brown color boxes I use are low voltage boxes for 12 volts, or cable work, they don't need to be enclosed. I did cut some blue 'old work' boxes and use them. A regular box just won't work in an outside wall. They make a blue offset box that will work on an inside wall that are fully enclosed, I used one of those in the bathroom for an extra outlet.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:53 AM   #8
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
OK, you did one box- How many more are you going to do? We have replaced 3 or 4 so far- Hate the way the wiring makes contact! JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:40 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandJudy_12

OK, you did one box- How many more are you going to do? We have replaced 3 or 4 so far- Hate the way the wiring makes contact! JMHO- Don
Don, on many outlet locations, I have some dedicated circuits and some I branched off from heavy load appliances (1/2 time oven, dryer outlet (I use a separate 220) vacuum.. like that.
Or, I would change them out more.
Glad you are making the trailer safer Don, it takes time and effort to do so, have you had to do any on the outside wall yet?
Old 12-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
You have to remember that these things are built by the lowest bidder.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
The parts may come from the lowest bidder. But keystone builds them, and until the consumer says enough they will continue to build with junk components. There concerned all the way to the bank. I have checked everything I can get to and I know a lot of people can't do this. And for those who can't you wouldn't believe the workmanship. I feel sorry for the people who rely on the dealers for all repairs, or should I say the dealer who gives some sort of excuse for the way something is. They will tell you their happy with it so you be happy with it, and if it does it again just bring it back.

Just sayin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #12
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I have always argued this fact. That for what you pay for these,usally more than your tow vehicle, you should feel safe and sure that you have a quality product. It is surprising how we put up with poor workmanship,warranty issues that the dealer or factory says it isn't their problem because they did not make the part,so on and so forth. I have said it many times before you would not stand for that on your tow vehicle for one second. you expect or demand service and you usally get it when under warranty. A lot of times they will even go over and above to take care of an issue even when you pass warranty. But we buy a 60-70 thousand dollar RV,have a problem and let the dealer tell us that it isn't their problem. Ok, I'm done...now I feel better.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Hi

Phil P
Do you mind telling us the name and location of this RV Repair facility? I want to be sure to avoid them at all cost.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote