Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
Yamaha 2400 ishc

Has anyone made an extended run system for this generator? I'm reading this model has a gravity flow to the carb so the typical extended run setups won't work with this model. The fuel tank on this gen is rather small at 1.6 gal. I'm thinking of putting a 't' fitting in the fuel line with a shutoff and a quick connect. I'd need to elevate a fuel tank to the same height as the gen fuel tank, but need a bottom feed port tank. Gotta be a better way out there. I like this generator. It's very quiet, runs either air cond. and best of all I got it pretty cheap at Cabelas in scratch and dent.

mobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
For our Honda EU2000's we purchased new caps, drilled and tapped them to screw a marine disconnect into them and attached these to gas line connected to a marine fuel tank. As long as we have the tank bottom on the same plane as the bottom of the generators, they will pull fuel from the marine tank.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
Hi Michael. From what I've read this gen is gravity flow (no fuel pump) and that system may not work with this gen. Another option I've looked at is a propane conversion. This may be the route to go with and use a 20lb tank, seeing how the fill/exchange on these tanks are readily available, plus no spilled fuel/fumes when refilling around a hot exhaust.
mobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
mobil,

I have a Boliy generator with a 2 gal tank and did a conversion on it to add a 6 gallon marine tank to use as an aux. tank. I followed the instructions on this thread http://rv-dreams.activeboard.com/t43...erator-review/ and it was pretty easy. I have not had the chance to use it for long term running so far but it is ready when I need it.

This sounds like what you are looking to do. I did post a link on the thread to a resource for the 3 way valve because I could not find one locally. Everything else was readily available.

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Just be aware if you convert to propane ... you will loose some power. Propane will not produce the same horsepower as a gas engine turning the generator. If you ask around ... propane gensets can be somewhat thirsty compared to gas.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
mobil,

This is why I posted. Ours do not have fuel pumps; they are gravity fed.

We have used ours with the extended tank for over 2 years!

Good luck!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:48 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Mike is right and many many people (including me) run their generators in this fashion. Internal combustion engines pull fuel in to them on the down stroke of the piston. While this 'pull' isn't very strong, you should find it strong enough that it will syphon fuel from an auxiliary tank mounted next to the generator in the same plane. Using this set up, fill both the generator tank and the extra tank beside it. The generator with start and run using the fuel in it's tank and draw fuel from the auxiliary tank as it runs.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote