Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2011, 05:57 AM   #1
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
slide thumping noise

Well, I found out what the thumping noise was in the main slideout. A broken spring mount caused the spring to move over enough that it was scraping on the rotating bar that carries the gears on the rack and pinion system. It wasn't a case of the welds being bad, the spring mount BROKE in two places.

Just a word to the wise, check those spring mounts.

scattershot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:22 AM   #2
5 wheeling
Established Member

M.O.C. #11375
Got noise issues with my slide as well, it makes moaning, creaking and poping noises when operating. I was advised by the previous owner that the slider mechanism is not suppossed to be lubricated per Keystone. Don't see how dry lube would hurt? Better check my spring mounts as you mentioned... Thank you
5 wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I don't think that is a true statement regarding not lubing the slider mechanism. I use a dry lube (to prevent dirt and dust from adhering to the lube) on the gears and other mechanical pieces of the working assembly. The hydraulic cylinder rods require occasional cleaning as well (I don't think it is recommended to lube them, just wipe and clean with a soft cloth??) Others will have to chip in on that one. In addition, the slider seals on the sides, top and bottom also need regular lubrication. I use a foaming spray made just for the seals, spray on and wipe.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:31 AM   #4
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Well, here's an update... The spring mount broke, as I mentioned, and that caused the spring to bend, which caused the mounting holes on the Mor Ride suspension itself to elongate. Long story short, $900.00 later, we're good to go. Apparently this had been broken for a long time, and I never noticed until it started making noise. This could have been serious, as we have taken a couple of long trips with the unit.

Worked out well, though, and we're looking forward to more good times in Monty. (If it ever quits snowing here!)
scattershot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:50 AM   #5
5 wheeling
Established Member

M.O.C. #11375
bncinwv - Thank you for the advise and reminder on the upper and lower seals and wiping the cylinders. Looks like dry lube will be the way to go regarding the slider tracks and gear assemblies.

scattershot- Glad you are all squared away on your rig.... now time to enjoy!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

What dry lube and what foaming spray?

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As for lubing the slide mechanism, that prior owner is wrong. The Keystone Service Center told me it has to be done periodically. They even showed me that the slide lube I bought from Camping World is the wrong thing to use. What they did is spray mine on a piece of cardboard and then threw dirt on it. Some of the dirt stuck, just as it will on the slide mechanism. They then sprayed theirs on the cardboard, threw dirt on it and none of the dirt stuck. They then gave me a can of theirs. That particular brand is TFE 101. They said any dry lubricant that will not collect dirt is fine. So I just test whatever I buy and if dirt sticks I don't use it.

I've never seen the TFE 101 brand in a store, only online. We've had this same discussion several times over the years and a couple of people published links to purchase it. But any that passes "the test" will work fine. But lubricant is a must.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
5 wheeling
Established Member

M.O.C. #11375
Steve, thanks for the 411... it's really great that we all try and help one another. I will be on the net looking for this
TFE 101 very soon. Thanks again, Chris
Old 04-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I will have to look at what I have, but I think it is Thetford products (one for slide seals and another one that is a dry lube for the gears). Any RV dealer should have it, both of these items are also available on Amazon.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bingo, you might check yours to see if dirt sticks to what you spray it on. I think it was either Thetford or Camco that I was using that the service center guys showed me was not good. It was a dry lube specific for slides.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote