Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2004, 04:17 AM   #1
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Tire Pressure Monitors

Good Morning All,
Has anyone had any experience with the electronic tire pressure monitors, such as the one made be Doran/Advantage Pressure Pro? We've had several blow-outs were we didn't know the tire had gone until a passing driver told us so. These devices have sending units that attach to the valve stem and a display that goes on the dash to show which tire is low/flat, etc.

I would appreciate any comments, information, etc. Are there other brands out there?

Thanks,

Bill Hill

Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:50 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hello Bill,
Doesn't seem to be too much response to this topic. I read something about this on another board..... the Escapees Forum... you might check over there.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 12:49 PM   #3
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I have the pressure pro system.I really really like it.You replace the valve caps with sensers that screw on to the valve stems.Their is a flat LCD monitior that plugs into your cig.lighter or can be hard wired if you wish.With the push of a button it will tell you the exact pressure of each tire.If the pressure of any tire goes below a certain amount an alarm will sound and it will tell you which tire is losing air.It really gives me peace of mind while driving down the high way.And the best feature is that it works flawlessly.A big part of blow outs is low tire pressure-with this system it will cut your chances of a blow out substantualy.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:38 PM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for answering the post. Sounds like a good system to have. Happy rving...
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:49 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
HarleyRider,
Thanks for the first hand report. That sounds like a nice system. Can you give an estimate of the cost? Would sure take a lot of worry off my shoulders having a system like that.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:30 PM   #6
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Hamrad

The cost of the system is $350.It comes with the monitor and 4 sensers.You can but more sensers if you wish.I bought it on line at "www.rvcams.com"
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 03:34 PM   #7
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Hi All,
Thanks "HarleyRider" for the endorsement. I spoke with the mfg. today, and they confirm what you said. I really appreciate the alternate source to buy it. Doran Mfg. charges $570 for the display with 8 sensors(4 for truck, 4 for trailer). The only drawback I could find is that the batteries are sealed in each wheel sensor, so that you can't replace them yourself. You must send the sensors back to the mfg. and they send new/rebuilt ones with new batteries back. Cost about $12-$15 per sensor. With 8 sensors that's over $100, but they say they last for about 3 years, maybe longer if you remove them between trips.

Thanks again for the info.

BH
Old 08-04-2004, 04:08 AM   #8
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Hey HamRad,
I did some more searching this morning for the Pressure Pro. Go to RVUpgrades.com, they have the 8 wheel system for $504.56 with free shipping.

BH
Old 08-17-2004, 05:00 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I had the ones that screw on the valvestem in place of the caps. I paid close to $500 for 8 of them along with a monitor in the cab of the truck and feel I wasted my money. The monitor lights up a small light and puts out a weak high-pitched beep, too high-pitched for my ears. Plus, each tire unit has two button batteries that don't seem to last very long. And they only transmit a short distance so if we park for a month and the truck is not close enough then I'll never know the batteries went dead. They're supposed to beep a low battery signal but they usually died before I found out they were low. I can't remember who made them but could probably go back and find out if you need to know. If I were doing it again I'd get the kind that attach to the rim, inside the tire. Just my opinion and scars.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote