Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2008, 04:53 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Roof damage from Alaska roads?

I was up on the roof yesterday to sweep off some pine needles. Hadn't been up there for several weeks, so I took a look around. Glad I did. I found that a nail/staple had pushed up thru the rubber roof and made a small hole in the rubber membrane. This was over near the edge of the roof adjacent to the bedroom slide. Several more staples in that area seemed to be lifting up. I was able to push them back down, but they didn't seem to be reseating very well, so I won't be surprised if they come back up. Also noticed that what looks like the curved metal flashing on the edges of the roof seem to be loosening up somewhat and pushing up against the rubber roof in several places.

I'm wondering if this is due to the rough roads up here in Alaska. Anyone else have similar problems and/or an explanation for what's going on? Am I correct in assuming that the warranty on the rubber roof doesn't cover things poking up thru the roof from underneath?

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:58 AM   #2
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I had something come through the roof material when the trailer was new the way they fixed it on warrenty was to use chauking and you could tell it came through from the inside.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Well, shoot, David. I'm sorry to hear that you're coming undone. I don't have any real information for you, just sympathy as we have had roof problems in the past, too.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
David,

While in Montana, I met an RVer that spent 5 years in Alaska. She said it was unreal what happens to units traveling to Alaska. She described several very bizarre breakdowns and/or break aparts that she had observed. It seems the road looks good, but it undulates badly from the permafrost and just beats RVs up badly. Based on her report, it very well could be from the trip.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:14 AM   #5
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I didn't have staples coming through the rubber but the rolled metal edge near the back started coming up from the rear corner, about 3-4 feet. They repaired it under warranty. They had to take the metal strips on the side, top and down the back edge loose and refasten the metal edge then replace the metal strips. It was my understanding that this stuff is tacked or stapled and they came loose.

The fix to things like this seems to be more sealant. I questioned all the wrinkles in the rubber roof and dealer requested, sent pictures to Montana, it be replaced but the request was denied as the condition was not that bad. I don’t like all the wrinkles but guess I will live with them.

I would suggest you get it repaired now. My experience with the metal edge is it will continue to pull up and make the repair a bigger job if left alone.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote