Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
Lost gear in transmission

We left Westport just above Ft. Bragg on Highway 1 through Leggett, transmission light came on. The truck 2005 dodge never shifted good after that made it up to Brookings Or. Decided to have the truck checked out at dealer, I think he said 3rd gear. We will be staying in Brookings until the truck is repaired before heading to Winchester Bay. This was to be another nice trip that has turned out to be terrible, but we are traveling with some friends so it's not a total loss.

Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:01 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
It may be something as simple as a stuck valve in the valve body, but admittedly, I don't know crap about Dodge transmissions. Hope it's simple and cheap!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:46 AM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Mine was a valve body and was covered under warrenty after a hugh fight. Since then I make sure the tranny has 15K service and have had no more problems in the next 125,000 miles.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:23 AM   #4
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Jim, Thanks for the promotion but what is a "hugh fight" I didn't know that we went to the same high school!!
Just kidding,,,I know what you meant.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:03 AM   #5
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
We are having another transmission cooling fan put on besides having the transmission repaired, it still under warranty.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:10 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Debbie Asher

We are having another transmission cooling fan put on besides having the transmission repaired, it still under warranty.
For quite a while we were having transmission problems with our Ford until we had a larger cooler installed. Can't go wrong with that addition to any tow vehicle.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
emorris548
Established Member

M.O.C. #8787
Send a message via MSN to emorris548
Hellow Debbie, I have a 04.5 dodge CTD with the 4 speed auto. After coming back from Alaska I got a check engine light, about 35,000 miles. Of to the dealer who 'said they rebuilt the tranny'. About 5,000 miles more after coming back from Baja another check engine light. The dealer who did the first tranny was now out of business, another dealer installed a total rebuilt, and told me the original dealer screwed me and Dodge for work not done. All was done on warranty and now at 43,000 all is well. (so far XXX)

Lee
emorris548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
puting on a ati tranny pan will add twice the fluid and will drop the temp of your tranny by 50 degrees . this will make the tranny last longer and cooler.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #9
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
Well we have now been in Brookings Oregon for 9 days waiting for our truck transmission to be repaired. They finally starting working on it on Friday of last week told us it should be ready by tuesday. Now they called us and said the transmission is starting out in second and they think it's because we have a after market pac brake on the truck. So I told them I didn't think so and to unhook the pac brake and see if the truck still does it. So he unhooked the pac brake and now the truck is starting in third gear. I really don't think that these people know what they are doing. I just want to get out of this town.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:14 PM   #10
emorris548
Established Member

M.O.C. #8787
Send a message via MSN to emorris548
Debbie,
I myself have a Pac Brake and when the first transmission failed, they questioned the Pac Brake. I called Pac Brake, told them what was going on and gave them the Dealers number. The Pac Brake People got right on it and called the Shop and explained operation of the unit to them, and even told them what settings they should make in the tranny. After that call I got no more run around about my after market unit. Pac Brake's number is 800-663-0096.
emorris548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Debbie, I'm afraid all my research prior to buying a 2007 Dodge showed that the automatic transmission in the earlier years was prone to problems during heavy weight towing. I hope this is an isolated incident for you. The 2007 came out with a new six-speed automatic, much heavier and designed to handle the stress of diesel towing. So far ours has been perfect (almost 48k miles and 18k towing). I've not read of problems with this transmission so hopefully it will prove as bulletproof as what I'm hearing. Good luck with yours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #12
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
Got home from vacation with suppost to be a new transmission put on in Brookings, Oregon. We only had about 1,200 miles on that transmission before it went out, apparently they didn't put the transmission together right and we lost it. So now the truck is at the dealer were we bought it having the transmission redone. We may just start looking for a new truck with a better transmission hate to do that since it is paid off.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #13
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
Oh nuts, twice. Talk about bad luck.

I realize you may just be fed up now but Unless you just want a new(er) truck now, before doing that look around for good rebuilders that can offer beefed up trans.
They are around. The dodges had troubles and that's why the new gear.

However the older trans can be made to work and live but will need a proper rebuild with some better parts along with a larger oil cooler.

Good luck
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:49 AM   #14
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
The 48re transmission in your truck is usually a reliable unit. The weak transmission was the 47re. You might look into a DTT, or a Gorend Brothers, or a Suncoast transmission rebuilder. There are others out there but these seem to have the happiest customers. I would bet that the shop that did your work just dosen't understand the transmission. If you are in the Vancouver Wn area check with Source Automotive.

Here is a Dodge information source. http://www.nwbombers.com
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #15
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Hummm, I have a 47RE with 127000 plus miles, no problems, have it checked by a tranny expert every year and change fluid at 15,000 not the 30K in the manual and any other service required. No problems. My tranny guy says the 47RE gets a lot of unwarrented bad press due to people not servicing it correctly then griping about failure. I don't know but mine is fine and I tow a LOADED 3400RL fulltime.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #16
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Jim, our old truck had the 47re and at 100K it was still working good. We had a shift kit installed in ours at around 55K and we had it serviced regularly. Never had a problem either. I only had mild power upgrades and never towed in OD which usually caused problems. Lots of people did have trouble with them and it was not from a lack of service.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote