Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2007, 02:46 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Air Force Academy Famcamp

I can't seem to find the section for Military Campgrounds so I will post here. Maybe Admin did some house cleaning.

Anyway, we have recently noticed that people eligible to use military campgrounds can, in some cases, sponsor a friend or family member in their own RV so that the two parties can camp together. There is a small additional charge for the guest, usually around $5.00 per night. I don't know if this applies to all Military Campgrounds but it's nice to know that the option is available.

The Air Force Academy Famcamp is great and have a great Verizon aircard connection. Haven't seen any bears or mountain lions yet, but they do warn you to not approach them. Like that would be a problem!

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:42 AM   #2
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I'm not a "people eligible to use military campgrounds", but now you have my curiosity up. Do those kind of folks get to stay at any Famcamp free or do they have to be visiting someone stationed there? or have business there? Just curious, so if you "people eligible to use military campgrounds" want to keep it a secret I'll understand - I don't want you to have to shoot me!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
No secret, VanMan. You must be active duty or retired military or at least have an official Military I.D. If you have a Military I.D. that allows you to use the commissary and/or base exchange, you are eligible to use Famcamps. As a sponsor, you can camp for a fee and bring your brother along in his camper as long as he pays the same fee plus the $5.00 fee for being a quest. The fees for camping at military campgrounds is only a little lower than other campgrounds, by the way. There's no free rides, especially for retirees.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:03 PM   #4
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Judy,

Not all military campgrounds allow you to sponsor a friend or family member to camp together. You will need to call ahead and confirm if they allow guests to be sponsored.

VanMan, Authorized users of military campgrounds include active, National Guard, Reserves, Retired, and DOD Civilians.
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:33 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks, 5rvers, we have noticed that not all Famcamps support this arrangement. That's what I meant by "in some cases" but maybe that wasn't clear. I didn't really know that it was allowed at all.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrgwdenner

...You must be active duty or retired military or at least have an official Military I.D....
Civilian employees of the DOD and 100% disabled veterans (thank you for serving) are also eligible for FamCamp usage. Check out the website http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/ for eligibility.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrgwdenner

...The fees for camping at military campgrounds is only a little lower than other campgrounds, by the way. There's no free rides, especially for retirees.
If you stay at a state park the fees might be slightly higher than a FamCamp. Fees at a FamCamp run between $15 and $20 a night but a KOA or SAM's park will run about $10 more per night and you can consider the on-base FamCamps one of the safest and secure campsites around.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Great information, Steve and Brenda. I knew there were others with eligibility but don't know the specifics. It is also nice to be near military facilities for groceries and other items of need.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:00 AM   #8
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Judy: Section with military CGs discussions is still right below this one (Campgrounds - State, Provincial & Federal)....just that no one has posted a topic re any of the military CGs in the last 30 - 60 days...go back further and you will find them.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Interesting, I guess I was looking for a separate military campground section. Glad to see you guys are back stateside safely. We love this AF Academy campground but will leave, regretfully, tomorrow. Our consolation will be the two little granddaughters waiting for us in Fort Worth.