Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-12-2022, 09:07 AM   #1
bcrvman
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Qualicum Beach
Posts: 453
M.O.C. #26399
Part number for baggage door hinge

Where can I get the part number for just the hinge of a baggage door. These are the waterproof hinges that from the end look like a C inside a C.
I need a web based approach as my phone only works in Canada.
The hinge is 46 3/8 long. It goes on the door side baggage door of a 2018 3811MS. Picture of the door half of the hinge attached. The other end is the bad part, this is what they look like when not damaged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6644.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	10956  
 
__________________
2018 Keystone Montana 3811MS
2017 Ford F450 diesel dually
600AH Battle Born Lithium Batteries, 1,080 watts solar
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:33 AM   #2
bcrvman
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Qualicum Beach
Posts: 453
M.O.C. #26399
I contacted Lippert, they say contact Keystone.
I contacted Keystone and they say they don't do parts, have Lippert contact them.
Does anyone know how to break the finger pointing?
Does anyone know how to get a part number for a baggage door hinge? It's a standard part used on 10's of thousands of RV's
NOTE, I can not phone the USA, must be web based.
__________________
2018 Keystone Montana 3811MS
2017 Ford F450 diesel dually
600AH Battle Born Lithium Batteries, 1,080 watts solar
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:48 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master
 
WeBeFulltime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hixson
Posts: 3,415
M.O.C. #11397
I'm thinking it's likely that the door manufacturer would buy this product in bulk "sticks" in lengths of 10' or so and cut it to the length(s) they need. Not likely that a part number exists. Maybe try to locate a used one at a RV graveyard and cut to length you need?
__________________
2018.5 Montana 3791RD


Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:58 AM   #4
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: new river
Posts: 296
M.O.C. #24181
dont know if this will help but maybe worth a try
https://www.lci1.com/access-and-baggage-doors
al meyer
3831fb az
__________________
al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:06 AM   #5
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master
 
WeBeFulltime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hixson
Posts: 3,415
M.O.C. #11397
Try "hurricane hinge" on ebay and see if that is what you need.
__________________
2018.5 Montana 3791RD


Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:26 AM   #6
bcrvman
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Qualicum Beach
Posts: 453
M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
I'm thinking it's likely that the door manufacturer would buy this product in bulk "sticks" in lengths of 10' or so and cut it to the length(s) they need. Not likely that a part number exists. Maybe try to locate a used one at a RV graveyard and cut to length you need?
No doubt true, but a part number gets me the correct size hinge. Never heard of or seen a graveyard for RV's. Unlikely one of those would have a match in any case, this is still a relatively new RV.
__________________
2018 Keystone Montana 3811MS
2017 Ford F450 diesel dually
600AH Battle Born Lithium Batteries, 1,080 watts solar
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:29 AM   #7
bcrvman
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Qualicum Beach
Posts: 453
M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahdmeyer View Post
dont know if this will help but maybe worth a try
https://www.lci1.com/access-and-baggage-doors
al meyer
3831fb az
Thanks, been to that site, no luck.
__________________
2018 Keystone Montana 3811MS
2017 Ford F450 diesel dually
600AH Battle Born Lithium Batteries, 1,080 watts solar
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:32 AM   #8
bcrvman
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Qualicum Beach
Posts: 453
M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
Try "hurricane hinge" on ebay and see if that is what you need.
That is a great looking hinge, but it is not the same. It appears to be one more step above what Lippert uses.
__________________
2018 Keystone Montana 3811MS
2017 Ford F450 diesel dually
600AH Battle Born Lithium Batteries, 1,080 watts solar
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:45 PM   #9
Mikendebbie
Montana Master
 
Mikendebbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,269
M.O.C. #21044
is there no way you can bend and straighten your hinge extrusion?
What if you drilled out the rivets and worked on it on your table.

Back in 2009 my tailgate fell down and crushed a baggage door on my then Alpenlite 5th wheel. Western RV had closed thier doors in 2008 - so there was no factory to go to. I found a company called Kinro (which I think is owned by LCI now). It was a nightmare getting doors of the correct size from them...and I mean a 6 month NIGHTMARE.

I am not sure there is a way to beat the system on your door with all the finger pointing. The more they point - the higher the price gets. It might be less brain damage to order the door and frame from Trekwood and just pay thier ransom.
__________________
MikenDebbie Aggie ‘77 in the sticks near Austin TX
2019 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW
2018 Montana 3921FB
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 03:01 PM   #10
bcrvman
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Qualicum Beach
Posts: 453
M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
is there no way you can bend and straighten your hinge extrusion?
What if you drilled out the rivets and worked on it on your table.

Back in 2009 my tailgate fell down and crushed a baggage door on my then Alpenlite 5th wheel. Western RV had closed thier doors in 2008 - so there was no factory to go to. I found a company called Kinro (which I think is owned by LCI now). It was a nightmare getting doors of the correct size from them...and I mean a 6 month NIGHTMARE.

I am not sure there is a way to beat the system on your door with all the finger pointing. The more they point - the higher the price gets. It might be less brain damage to order the door and frame from Trekwood and just pay thier ransom.
I am going to try to fix it first. I purchased a 10mm/.375" steel rod 6 ft long to insert into the hollow part of the circular hinge. I will bend/hammer the hinge as I push on the steel rod. If that does not work, I will just cut off whatever parts will not mesh as I have at least 60% - 70% of the hinge meshing. As long as I baby the door it might work for years. I also plan to ask a few dealers around here to see if they can get a part but I will bet a significant amount they will not know what to do other than try to order an entire new door.
__________________
2018 Keystone Montana 3811MS
2017 Ford F450 diesel dually
600AH Battle Born Lithium Batteries, 1,080 watts solar
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:11 PM   #11
Mikendebbie
Montana Master
 
Mikendebbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,269
M.O.C. #21044
I like your idea for a solution. That will probably work for a long time.
__________________
MikenDebbie Aggie ‘77 in the sticks near Austin TX
2019 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW
2018 Montana 3921FB
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:29 PM   #12
bcrvman
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Qualicum Beach
Posts: 453
M.O.C. #26399
Does anyone know who makes the door?
Does anyone have a contact email at Keystone who will tell me part numbers?
__________________
2018 Keystone Montana 3811MS
2017 Ford F450 diesel dually
600AH Battle Born Lithium Batteries, 1,080 watts solar
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 06:54 PM   #13
Mikendebbie
Montana Master
 
Mikendebbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,269
M.O.C. #21044
Based on reading this forum Keystone does not operate like that. If you want the door replaced you will have to go thru a dealer or pay ransom to Trekwood, etc. There might be a chance that the dealer would order the part for you to install - (not shop mechanics install) but I don’t really know. Maybe someone can advise you better.

The only example I have - I had a 2011 Jayco travel trailer. I contacted Jayco for info on stud locations on one wall. They emailed me pdf elevations of all four walls showing studs with dimensions. Later I had a 2017 Keystone Laredo. Called Keystone for stud locations - nope…you will have to go thru your dealer for that information. It felt like lawyers were running customer service. I have since read many similar stories in this forum. Dealer service guys are swamped. I did not think they would help me with my little stud location issue for free. However, the information and help on this forum is worth gold!
__________________
MikenDebbie Aggie ‘77 in the sticks near Austin TX
2019 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW
2018 Montana 3921FB
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:20 PM   #14
bcrvman
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Qualicum Beach
Posts: 453
M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Based on reading this forum Keystone does not operate like that. If you want the door replaced you will have to go thru a dealer or pay ransom to Trekwood, etc. There might be a chance that the dealer would order the part for you to install - (not shop mechanics install) but I don’t really know. Maybe someone can advise you better.

The only example I have - I had a 2011 Jayco travel trailer. I contacted Jayco for info on stud locations on one wall. They emailed me pdf elevations of all four walls showing studs with dimensions. Later I had a 2017 Keystone Laredo. Called Keystone for stud locations - nope…you will have to go thru your dealer for that information. It felt like lawyers were running customer service. I have since read many similar stories in this forum. Dealer service guys are swamped. I did not think they would help me with my little stud location issue for free. However, the information and help on this forum is worth gold!
I think I must have miscommunicated. I do NOT want the door replaced, I only need to replace the hinge. I need Keystone to tell me who manufactured the door and it's part number so I can then order the part I need from the manufacturer. I thought that would be Lippert, but they have convinced me these doors were not made by Lippert since their part tag is not there. I have a dealer trying to track it down, but I will be surprised if he can do anything. I understand how Keystone works, they want to reduce the number of interfaces they have and the dealers will be able to field some of the questions the owners have so their workload is reduced. The problem is, when you have more people involved in a communication sometimes the message gets garbled and it can take longer to sort things out. I have never taken my rig to a dealer, and that includes 2 fireplace replacements, 1 recliner replacement, and 2 blind replacements. They (and I) failed to understand how the fireplaces work (only one on at a time) so I ended up with a better unit. They gave me a recliner that was either defective or lower quality and I ended up buying new normal recliners. Keystone staff have just one job much like insurance companies, find any reason to reject your claim.
__________________
2018 Keystone Montana 3811MS
2017 Ford F450 diesel dually
600AH Battle Born Lithium Batteries, 1,080 watts solar
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:41 PM   #15
Mikendebbie
Montana Master
 
Mikendebbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,269
M.O.C. #21044
I looked at Lippert baggage doors (they have a ton of information on their site about installation and door types - really nice!) but those doors are not the same as we have on Montana units…different frames…different hinge options…different slam latches.

I found RecPro and their hinges look more like our continuous hinges with screw stops and vinyl plugs on both ends. Maybe you should try calling them and see if they can help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AA781C17-BAEF-4BCC-8273-50A6DC94CC40.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	10962  
__________________
MikenDebbie Aggie ‘77 in the sticks near Austin TX
2019 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW
2018 Montana 3921FB
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:55 PM   #16
gth
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Nacogdoches
Posts: 2
M.O.C. #22258
I went to the dealer and got one off a damaged door.
gth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:58 PM   #17
gth
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Nacogdoches
Posts: 2
M.O.C. #22258
They a whole pile of them they had replaced.
gth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:17 PM   #18
bcrvman
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Qualicum Beach
Posts: 453
M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I looked at Lippert baggage doors (they have a ton of information on their site about installation and door types - really nice!) but those doors are not the same as we have on Montana units…different frames…different hinge options…different slam latches.

I found RecPro and their hinges look more like our continuous hinges with screw stops and vinyl plugs on both ends. Maybe you should try calling them and see if they can help.
The hinges look promising (but so do Lippert) but it's not the same door. I am starting to think the hinges are made by a separate company and used by many/all RV baggage door manufacturers.

I have sent them an email.
__________________
2018 Keystone Montana 3811MS
2017 Ford F450 diesel dually
600AH Battle Born Lithium Batteries, 1,080 watts solar
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:25 PM   #19
bcrvman
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Qualicum Beach
Posts: 453
M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by gth View Post
I went to the dealer and got one off a damaged door.
That is interesting, I will ask them. I only have one dealer on the Island and he is about 1.5 hrs away so I might take a trip down there.
__________________
2018 Keystone Montana 3811MS
2017 Ford F450 diesel dually
600AH Battle Born Lithium Batteries, 1,080 watts solar
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:13 PM   #20
Moonbaby
New Member
 
Moonbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Gananoque
Posts: 8
M.O.C. #26184
Try you dealer.

I had the same issue with my baggage door hinge on my 2021 Montana HC I was told to contact my dealer as they would have the part number. Unfortunately Keystone doesn’t sell just the hinge they rather sell you the whole door complete with frame as they tried to do with me at a cost of approximately $1000 US which includes packaging and shipping. I fixe the hinge the best I could as the door flips up and attaches to the magnets on the coach. I just added two gas strut’s and it supports the door and I’m fine with that.



Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
Where can I get the part number for just the hinge of a baggage door. These are the waterproof hinges that from the end look like a C inside a C.
I need a web based approach as my phone only works in Canada.
The hinge is 46 3/8 long. It goes on the door side baggage door of a 2018 3811MS. Picture of the door half of the hinge attached. The other end is the bad part, this is what they look like when not damaged.
Moonbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.