Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2022, 05:02 PM   #21
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
Congratulations now just enjoy!

2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:17 PM   #22
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
Congratulations - I'm a couple month away from making the move to retirement myself. I'm looking forward to it but it is a little nerve racking. Enjoy your new situation -
Rod Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:13 PM   #23
Cbrandt79
Established Member

M.O.C. #26693
Congrats! It truly is your time to do what you want. When you are a ‘pastor’ or a member of the clergy your Boss is everyone. Impossible to please everyone. Now you are your own boss. Have fun!!!
Cbrandt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:35 PM   #24
BUBBA-NONNIE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19549
Congratulations!! One chapter closes and a brand new one open!! Proverbs 3:5-6
BUBBA-NONNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:43 PM   #25
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
Congratulations Dutchman!

I’ve got about 30 months left in my current 40 year career. Don’t want to wish my life away but I am sure looking forward to it… whatever “it” is.

Sounds like you have all your ducks in a row! Enjoy 🍺
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:44 PM   #26
E Rod
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21551
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
.... happened today at 10:00 a.m. Turned in my company laptop at 10:00 am today, all my company owned "stuff", and returned home! It's finally done! After years of planning and financial navigation, it's hard to believe "it" finally arrived.

No plans for the month of January and February for travel. We need to get past our income tax preparation for 2021. Gonna do one more thing after that, and that is to pre-pay and pre-arrange our funerals.

Everything else is paid for, the house is deeded over to our son, so it's our house (and his) forever. Someday, the nursing home can't take the house (like they did with my mother before she died), and all that's left is to travel, enjoy seeing parts of the U.S.A. we've never been to before, and finally having the time to spend in my wood work-shop without always feeling rushed or under the gun to get the latest project done, because of work demands at the office, or required overtime snatching time away.

Well, it finally happened today! After I turned in my laptop, I had about 3 hours of sadness, or emptiness, almost felt like when someone you know dies, or a pet dies. But I played with the dogs with their ball for a good hour today, worked on a wood working project I started several weeks ago, and now waiting on my son to get off work so we can have a small celebration.

It's been a long road. From 14 years old to 16 I worked bailing hay and in a gas station for my uncle. From 16-18 I worked in a small town, local Mom and Pop grocery store. From 18-23 I was in College. Also during that same time I worked part time at McDonalds, and 3 years in a Hospital kitchen. I also went to Israel for an entire year of study.

From 22 to 27 I was in the ministry as a pastor at 3 different churches. During that time, I also worked part time at .... good old McDonalds again.

From 27 to 32 I was in the US Army as a Chaplain Assistant. From 33 to about 43 I returned to the church as a pastor, and worked again part time at the same time at a public library.

The Army taught me computers and software, and during those same years I also started working in Information Technology, originally running printers for a software computer internet site. That led to another job running computers and installing hardware software for a mortgage banking company and by now, I was no longer in the Church as a pastor.

That led to a small family disruption that eventually returned my wife (which I married while I was in the Army) back to Indiana, and again did a few more years as a Pastor, and then made the switch to full time Information Technology as a software tester, where I've been for the last 20 years (same company, but many changes).

I now have 6 grandkids (4 girls, 2 boys). My daughter lives in Hawaii with her 5 kids and husband, and my son lives with us and his 8 year old son.

I've made some good friends over the years with all my jobs, don't care too much for Church any more, but I haven't given up on God! (But his people just stink sometimes!).

Covid dis some wonderful things for us over the last year and a half. It caused my office to shut the doors and we all worked from home. I took the work from home, on the road, and worked from camper almost all of 2021. Been to some great places. Had it not been for Covid, we could have not done near that much travel in 2021, if we (both my wife and me) had t work from the office.

So, I've had a year of transition being home, traveling extensively with the Montana, and adjusting financially to make everything work.

We are now looking forward to more travel. The wife is still working, so phone service is still essential for her hotspot connection and her company laptop (she is also Information Technology).

It had to believe it's over for me. But today was the day I planned for all my life!

I'm finally retired!
Thank you sir for your service and many safe travels. I'm looking at retirement soon myself with 39 years of service with school system and looking to travel as long as God grants me time. Take care and God bless
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:46 PM   #27
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
Congratulations. Enjoy your time and your travels.
2004 Chev 2500 HD
jwengermt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:19 PM   #28
TCmontana
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27810
Congratulations hope you enjoy your retirement.
TCmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:08 PM   #29
LERD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27487
Congratulations on your retirement. I just retired Dec 31st. I still can't believe its here. After 3 seperate careers, the last being over 26 years with the phone company, I'm done. I did get a little emotional as I was leaving, but not for the work, even though I loved it. I will miss the guys, some of the most miserable cusses I could have ever had the pleasure to work with. Anyone who's ever worked in a shop style atmosphere knows what I'm talking about. But I left earlier than some, I'm 62. So you have those worries of am I leaving too early, what about the money ... etc. etc. etc. The reality is we never know when God takes us. I've lost friends who were in their 20's, 30's, 40's and so forth. So I'm in my transitioning phase. I'm currently in Mexico till February and then coming home to new beginnings. Because our real estate market is so good right now, we'll sell the house and travel. Hopefully updating the truck and 5er soon after the sale. 3-4 years full-time and maybe then DW will want a home base. Then we'll still travel, just not full-time. Works for me either way. Just like many of us, we've planned for it our whole careers. Now that it's here, it's time to embrace it and live it to our fullest. Safe journeys fellow brother in Christ.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:53 PM   #30
gordo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21136
OUTFRIGGIN STANDING....

I have retired 3 times that I can remember. This Friday, I hope is the last. I drove truck all across the country, and saw nothing. I was at the sheriff's office for 20 years, got broken, and have aches and pains daily.
I took care of my folks until they passed, and ONLY have memories.
Now, my wife and I want to enjoy OUR time. We are going to start slow, Yellowstone for my first time. Then who knows.
Am i a bit nervous?, Hell yeah, but it is time.

ENJOY every minute my friend
gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:49 AM   #31
Frank64
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24370
Retirement

Congratulations!!I retired 6 years ago without regret. We travel mostly on the east coast visiting family and friends. We still have our home which we use as a “ base” in January and February.
Safe travels
Frank64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:07 AM   #32
bigjimusaf

M.O.C. #9816
Retirement

Congratulations to a well earned retirement, I myself am pulling the pug after 38 years as a firefighter! Look to see you on the road this summer!
bigjimusaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:25 AM   #33
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
OUTFRIGGIN STANDING....

Now, my wife and I want to enjoy OUR time. We are going to start slow, Yellowstone for my first time. Then who knows.
Am i a bit nervous?, Hell yeah, but it is time.

ENJOY every minute my friend
Yellowstone is my favorite place- well, that whole area really. I have been there at least once every 5 years since I was 5 years old. I have relatives about 20 miles from Cody, so we visit a lot. Since retirement, I have been in that area almost every year (that is 16 years!). A lot has changed there. The park was always crowded, but you could find a parking spot at the various sites on the road and not elbow to elbow. Now they really need to limit visitors like some other parks, but I suppose since the park is the only way within 40 miles north or south to go from WY to Idaho, not going to happen.
I haven't done it as we leave AZ heat during the summer, but I have heard September is the best time. Crowds way down, (usually) no snow in early part. I have seen grizzlies, moose, lots of elk, wolves once and many other animals. Not to speak of the volcanic displays all over. Just don't go when the 'big one' goes off LOL.
EDIT: Oh, they just enlarged the Fishing Bridge campground and have some larger sites. They used to be 35 feet long. However, they opened it up I think for next summer, last spring and most of June and July were already booked in about a week or so. Nice centrally located spot, but hard to find a spot. No other sites in the park with FHU (or maybe even elec.).

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:54 AM   #34
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Congratulations Dutchman. You've joined the crowd. Now enjoy those golden years. Cheers to you.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:45 AM   #35
oddjobal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20488
Retirment

Congratulations on your retirement. It is a big step. You will feel lost for a while. I watched the weather report and traffic news every morning. I was a Aerospace Engineer. Now after 18 years, it is still the smartest thing I ever did. Everything I have is bought and paid for and every thing I own is in a family Trust. Stay healthy and enjoy every minute of it.
oddjobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:05 PM   #36
gordo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21136
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjimusaf View Post
Congratulations to a well earned retirement, I myself am pulling the pug after 38 years as a firefighter! Look to see you on the road this summer!
Thank You for your service. 38 years, holy crap. Please stay safe
Old 01-20-2022, 03:30 PM   #37
gordo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21136
We are going in September. I'll look up that campground for next trip. I was told one trip is not enough
Thanks
Old 01-20-2022, 04:21 PM   #38
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
We are going in September. I'll look up that campground for next trip. I was told one trip is not enough
Thanks
One trip is definitely not enough. Yellowstone calls you back.
My favorite place in Wyoming is Union Pass. It’s a place you can camp and see all the game species in Wyoming. It’s 8200 feet in elevation so it’s cool to cold in the morning and nice and warm during the day. There are many trout streams and small lakes to fish and all have trout. If you wont to see the real prairie the way it was a hundred years ago the Shirley Basin is the place to camp. It’s 440,000 acres you can camp on any place you choose. It’s all BLM land so it’s legal to camp on. You can Google both to see many pictures.
Have fun enjoy your time in Wyoming.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:05 PM   #39
jtmajors

M.O.C. #23791
Wonderful

Congratulations and thanks so much for your service to our country. I hope you enjoy a long healthy retirement and great travels to you and yours. Sincerely Joseph Majors
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:17 PM   #40
Roy & Georgia
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27061
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjimusaf View Post
Congrats to all you retirees and thank you big Jim as a firefighter and you clergy and vets for your service.
2012 F350 SWD CREW
Roy & Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote