Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2021, 10:38 AM   #21
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Here is how the system works.
https://gm-techlink.com/?p=12721

Bad Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 02:29 PM   #22
David Van Denover

M.O.C. #27082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthor View Post
I had a similar issue with my 2021 Silverado and Montana 377FL. I wired up the camera but Chevy updated electronics in the trailing plug to send reduced power to power the lights, which is what your camera operates on. A quick check is to pop off a side marker lens, remove the bulb and check the voltage reading, mine ranged from 9.6-11.6v depending on location. Furrion sells a power adapter but it only works on 2019/2020 models Not 2021 since GM updated electronics again this year.

The simple fix is the access the side marker light closest to the battery on the RV. All you need to do is splice in to the side marker light and put a 12v inline on/off switch in between the light and battery. My run is only about 3 feet accessible inside to wire up and works great. I put the inline switch for when its in storage to ensure nothing pulls from the battery.

Once I did this it adequately powers the backup camera and only cost about $10 for a switch and piece of wire you probably have lying around. So until Furrion or Haloview figure out a new power adapter this is the easiest and cheapest solution.
Just got done installing and testing the hookup using the side marker light. Cameras all work. I did get an error on the trailer wiring, like you said, I hope will only do it once. Whatever, the camera works, it was very easy. Thanks again for the pictures, video, and instructions.
David Van Denover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:30 PM   #23
Cthor
Established Member

M.O.C. #28051
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Van Denover View Post
Just got done installing and testing the hookup using the side marker light. Cameras all work. I did get an error on the trailer wiring, like you said, I hope will only do it once. Whatever, the camera works, it was very easy. Thanks again for the pictures, video, and instructions.
That’s awesome! I’m glad you were able to get it setup.
Cthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:35 PM   #24
JDKarlstad

M.O.C. #23996
Does require one per camera. But works well with my 21 Chevy 1 ton.
JDKarlstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 05:06 PM   #25
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlow View Post
We just traded our 1 Ton GMC and our 2018 Montana 42' for smaller truck and Montana (3121RL) but kept our Furrion camera as it was relatively new(a second purchase). We have not been able to get it to work with the new system set up as of yet. We verified it worked on the traded unit so know it works on the longer RV and we have gone to 7 feet less so that should not be a problem. We have talked to GMC and have received an adapter for the GMC side. We called Furrion and was advised to pair the camera and screen. We did that and it looked great in the truck but when we put the camera back on the RV it says no signal. That is with the running lights on. What is next? Has anyone else had this issue? Any and all help is appreciated!
I have both the 3120RL and the Furrion. If you have the monitor and the camera it should be working after the camera is mounted. I have to run mine using the "cigarette" plug (not a USB connection as that usually ties to the vehicles internal software and I and apps) and I have to have the headlamps on all the time.
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:35 PM   #26
LittleBill

M.O.C. #29891
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDKarlstad View Post
Does require one per camera. But works well with my 21 Chevy 1 ton.
I know this thread is not necessarily current, but I also have encountered the problem with my 2021 3500HD and Furrion observation camera not sending a signal to the monitor due to the PWM that Chevy/GMC uses on the 7-way connection to the tail lights.

Is the PWMBUTT from ASA still working for you? Did you actually install it at the rear camera or did you happen to place it at a side marker (easier access)? How difficult was it to install and do you happen to have any pics?

Thanks and stay safe
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:53 PM   #27
JDKarlstad

M.O.C. #23996
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
I know this thread is not necessarily current, but I also have encountered the problem with my 2021 3500HD and Furrion observation camera not sending a signal to the monitor due to the PWM that Chevy/GMC uses on the 7-way connection to the tail lights.

Is the PWMBUTT from ASA still working for you? Did you actually install it at the rear camera or did you happen to place it at a side marker (easier access)? How difficult was it to install and do you happen to have any pics?

Thanks and stay safe
Parked at home it worked fine but once I started traveling it would cut in & out. Using Cthur mod, added switch to battery and much better reception. Still waiting on the 7 pin plug from etrailer but back ordered till Dec.
JDKarlstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:05 PM   #28
LittleBill

M.O.C. #29891
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDKarlstad View Post
Parked at home it worked fine but once I started traveling it would cut in & out. Using Cthur mod, added switch to battery and much better reception. Still waiting on the 7 pin plug from etrailer but back ordered till Dec.
Thanks for letting me know that it may not work. I'll have to take a look at what Cthur did and see if that will work for me.

Thanks and stay safe
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:27 PM   #29
ScottN
Established Member

M.O.C. #28930
I have read on this forum and elsewhere about issues with GM trucks when trying to pair Furrion cameras, but nothing about problems with Ford pickups. I have a 2022 F350 and 2022 Montana 3121RL. The rear camera was paired out-of-the-box, but neither of the side cameras will pair. I followed the User’s Manual (ensuring I held down the pairing button on cameras for 2 seconds). Any suggestions?
Old 02-13-2022, 10:15 AM   #30
ScottN
Established Member

M.O.C. #28930
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottN View Post
I have read on this forum and elsewhere about issues with GM trucks when trying to pair Furrion cameras, but nothing about problems with Ford pickups. I have a 2022 F350 and 2022 Montana 3121RL. The rear camera was paired out-of-the-box, but neither of the side cameras will pair. I followed the User’s Manual (ensuring I held down the pairing button on cameras for 2 seconds). Any suggestions?
Mystery solved! The button on the Furrion side cameras cannot be sufficiently depressed with a finger, it requires something like the end of a pen to push it in to initiate pairing.
Old 03-03-2022, 12:58 AM   #31
Mwynn

M.O.C. #30568
Fix for 2021+ back up camera power issue

As an RV tech I get asked alot for how to use an existing Furrion or Vision works camera rather then having to use GM's camera system on new vehicles, GMC, Chevy (same) the new All electric Silverado will have the same low voltage output, and Mercedes SUV. The same options come up everytime. Wire in some switches, a relay, or what not OR order the plug in play system by AZ Trailerworks it's sold In a few stores, ETSY, EBAY etc. You just plug your trailers 7-way into the Boost Box, then plug the Boost Box into your truck. Problem solved. I just installed 2 of these this week and literally took less then 5 min. All the customer had to do was turn on the running lights like before and the camera came right on.
Mwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 02:06 PM   #32
Rocketman123!
Established Member

M.O.C. #30489
Furrion sells an adapter that plugs in between the RV and the pickup. Without it, the camera won't pair on 2021-22 Chevs and GMCs unless you hard wire it. The adapter costs about $60 and works great, however, you still need to turn on your truck's headlights. The part is called Camera System 7-Way Adapter. Too bad there's nothing about this part in the camera manual. I spent hours checking and re-checking my wiring and then looked online at Furrion's website. There are other companies that make a similar adapter, but from what I've read they don't solve the problems with late model General Motors trucks
Rocketman123! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 10:31 AM   #33
Hit The Road
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlow View Post
We just traded our 1 Ton GMC and our 2018 Montana 42' for smaller truck and Montana (3121RL) but kept our Furrion camera as it was relatively new(a second purchase). We have not been able to get it to work with the new system set up as of yet. We verified it worked on the traded unit so know it works on the longer RV and we have gone to 7 feet less so that should not be a problem. We have talked to GMC and have received an adapter for the GMC side. We called Furrion and was advised to pair the camera and screen. We did that and it looked great in the truck but when we put the camera back on the RV it says no signal. That is with the running lights on. What is next? Has anyone else had this issue? Any and all help is appreciated!
Just a thought.....running lights on or headlights on? That was my problem! Headlights have to be on with our 2019 Silverado HD.
Hit The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 10:32 AM   #34
Hit The Road
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27454
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
Harlow, does the Furion system wirelessly hook up to our factory in dash system of our trucks? I have a 2020 Chevy Duramax.
I'll keep watching this bc it would be a great idea!!
Hit The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 02:17 PM   #35
Rocketman123!
Established Member

M.O.C. #30489
Furion makes an adapter that plugs into the power cord that connects truck to camper. It solved the problem for me. The problem is with 2021-22 GM trucks. Check Furion’s website under support.
Rocketman123! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 04:19 PM   #36
Ddemers

M.O.C. #21295
Here my modification I made in-order to operate my Furrion camera from my 2022 GMC. I checked out the $110.00 option Furrion was selling but I am cheap and also didn’t want another plug in my system.
I found a wiring harness on Amazon for another camera system and spliced it into my current wiring on my camera bracket mounted on my High Country.
Harness on Amazon: “GM Camera Harness - PWMCEC (for Voyager Cameras Only)”. Cost $14.95
The harness was tagged for which end to connect to camera. The plugs on the harness had 4 wires connected to them but only 2 wires are connected to the small circuit board. The un-needed wires slide right out of the shrink wrap.
I removed the camera mounting bracket from the trailer cut the trailer harness at the factory splice and wired that up to the new harness. I connected the trailer wiring to the harness with wiring clips and stuff all the wiring back in to the hole, reattached the bracket and tried out. I think I may have spent an hour on the mod and less than $20.00.
Sorry for not providing more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9B480CF5-C684-438A-A17F-38AA8D7D1418.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	661.7 KB
ID:	12864   Click image for larger version

Name:	12116CF1-3284-4442-95D6-471DADDFC046.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	12865   Click image for larger version

Name:	8F62E40D-8A55-4216-876D-6497E1E19F23.jpeg