Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341
Need Refrigerator Help Please

We're out camping for the weekend and the frig part is not cooling down enough,the freezer is fine and we have the digital control set to the lowest setting,its on just not getting cold enough.Our frig has a slide control on the fins on the right side.No instructions for the slide...just an arrow.Does it cool more if the slide is moved toward the top or to the bottom,the wire in the slide is not connected to anything.Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Philip

2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I don't have a digital control. Are you talking about a Dometic?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Slide Control Up for Cold Down for Warmer.
Someone else will jump in here with you model and offer you more.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341
Yes,its Dometic models RM2662-2862 & NDR1062.Actually its a push button control and its on the coldest setting of 1 through 5,set on 5.Never cared for the slide control on the cooling fins,does yours have a slide control?
Old 09-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

Thanks for the replies,I reinstalled the wire in the slide and it appears to be getting colder.I slid it up as far as it would go.

Philip,
2007 336RLT Mountaineer
Old 09-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Philip-- I had the same problem with mine and it slid it up and almost froze the stuff in the refrig so watch that close! Also, havae you checked to see if your frig is on the recall list from Dometic?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:10 AM   #7
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341
Rondo- Thanks for the info.Even though its slid all the way up it still isn't super cold.Checked it around 12:30 am and again this am (6:00) and still about the same.Its cold enough to keep the food & drink safe but still isnt as cold as it once got.I think the wire in the slide is the problem.I will check to see if frig is on the recall list.

Philip,
2007 336RLT Mountaineer
2006 Dodge 3500 4x4 QC DRW
Old 09-23-2008, 03:39 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Pull off the cover on the outside and see if you see any yellow residue around the burner tube area. If so, you are losing refrigerant. This happened to us after the recall fix awhile back. Dometic replaced the entire cooling unit.

As others said, slide it up for colder. That gets the thermistor into the warmer air (heat rises) and triggers it earlier to cool down the fridge.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #9
TLG
Established Member

M.O.C. #7828
We had the same problem since day one with our fridge. Freezer worked great, but the fridge would only work on cool days. After three trips to the dealer, dometic finally agreed to a new cooling unit. When the tech was installing the cooling unit, he discovered the "mask" was not properly sealed on the back of the fridge. He said the caulking was brittle and that half of it was completly unsealed. He went on to say this was not a Keystone issue, the fridge had been delivered from dometic this way. Have only been out once since this latest fix, but it seems to be working.
TLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
Good advise Steve.

Anyone with "iffy performance" from their Dometic refrigerators need to occasionally pull that exterior cover and inspect for the dreaded "yellow crap" - a clear indicator of ammonia leakage, especially if the unit is under the recall parameters - that have now been extended to cover models manufactured well into 2006.

For heavens sake, don't delay getting it to a qualified Dometic service center before the warrenty expires to get service.

Those of us having been "stung" with barely out of warrenty failures and the cost out of pocket to repair / replace these units, will testify to that.

I believe that if I would have been more diligent with frequent inspections this last year, I probably would have seen some evidence of ammonia leakage before the actual catastrophic failure of my boiler tube assembly.

BTW - after having appealed directly to the CEO of Dometic North American operations for some warrenty help on my 2004 unit - which had been retrofitted under the recall last year - I have no new news to report. As of now - I am just saving my shekels toward buying the replacement cooling assembly to fix my DOA Dometic.

Ed
Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:05 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Perhaps my situation was different but when the cooling unit failed it was all at once. There was no leakage evident prior to its failure. It simply was working and then it wasn't.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't check as indicated but don't be surprised if you see nothing of the dreaded 'yellow stuff' until such time as the unit quits working.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote