Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2022, 08:15 AM   #61
Boondockboomer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
The reason I installed the 2000W (4000W surge) inverter is to run the microwave, Nespresso and front air conditioner (I already installed a SoftStartRV in it). Not at the same time...
If you are only running a residential fridge that would not be necessary.
If I was doing it again I would go 3000w inverter.
My MPPT is A Victron 100/30 (30A). This rig was pre wired with 10 gauge wiring for the solar system. 10 gauge is limited to 30A. If I was doing it over I would go 6 or 8 gauge wiring for the solar and a 150/75 MPPT OR a Victron Multiplus (all in one).

You are fine for what you have.
Gm Daryles,
I broke down and got a 3000 watt inverter by Renogy. The thing is a beast for sure. Heavy and robust. I have one question. Did you use the existing CSW transfer switch or did you replace it. Apparently these Renogy’s have built in transfer switches already.

Boondockboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:21 AM   #62
Boondockboomer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28754
Is Transfer switch needed with New Renogy Inverter

Is this old CSW transfer switch need with a Renogy 3000 or do I splice the end of it and tie it into high out put AC terminals NGL on renogy inverter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5B4FCCFD-1391-45FA-A57C-13D291A08F2E.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	11161   Click image for larger version

Name:	D8185A7B-42F9-4B2A-8BA7-49EA19EEF1CB.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	11162  
Boondockboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 11:12 PM   #63
T0DD
Established Member

M.O.C. #27652
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I do have a question if someone can help?

I have a 2021 3120RL with "Solar Prep". Because I don't have a residential refrigerator, I don't have the 2000w inverter.

I'm researching adding my solar to my "solar prep". Easy enough, Solar panels, charge controller, upgrade my batteries.

My question is this. I have little "solar" stickers on several outlets (including the TV outlet). If there is no inverter, how are these powered? if I add all the solar panels, charge controller and upgrade to lithium, am I magically going to be able to watch TV?

I called the dealers service center and they can't give me an answer either. Clearly there are some smart people in this thread thread and I look forward to any information than anyone can provide.

Thank you.
T0DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 05:53 AM   #64
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Look on the driver's side of the basement ceiling (where the inverter was mounted in our rig) and you will probably see a pair of Molex connectors (see photo) that come aparte to wire in an inverter. That romex wire running thru that connector should be feeding those orange dot outlets. You would need to add an inverter.

Molex connector:
Attached Images

RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 09:02 AM   #65
T0DD
Established Member

M.O.C. #27652
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipNC View Post
Look on the driver's side of the basement ceiling (where the inverter was mounted in our rig) and you will probably see a pair of Molex connectors (see photo) that come aparte to wire in an inverter. That romex wire running thru that connector should be feeding those orange dot outlets. You would need to add an inverter.

Molex connector:
On the drivers side basement ceiling, I only have a small box that I believe is part of the hydraulic system. It's tucked right against the wall on the front side of the coach. Other than that, I don't have any wires with molex connectors. As you can see, this is where my frustration lies because I'm trying to understand how this would work.

I know when I'm unplugged from shore power right now, my little sticker outlets don't work. Maybe I'll reach out to FutureSales and see if they can explain it. I was (really wasn't) shocked my service center couldn't explain how this "solar prep" is supposed to work.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:08 AM   #66
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Without an inverter they won't be powered without shorepower. All the solar will do is charge your 12 volt system, which would in turn supply power to your inverter to invert 12 volt DC to 120 volt AC.
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 07:40 PM   #67
T0DD
Established Member

M.O.C. #27652
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. But again, I'm trying to understand why they advertise power to all the stickered outlets in the coach if there is no inverter? Maybe there is an inverter, but It's not in an obvious location? I might have to start taking my basement apart to look around.