Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
New RVers mishaps.

I've had my Montana 3150 for a year and half now. So far

1. Drove the 5er out of the garage with the garage door 80% open. No harm to the RV, but had to replace the lower panel of the garage.
2. Bent the steps while turning a corner too sharp. The dealer was able to straighen those out.
3. Didn't see an over hanging tree limp on an entry road to a RV park - new roof.
4. Dropped the tongue on the tailgate.
5.6.7. (This weekend alone) Drove the trailer out of the garage with the steps still out. I will need a new set now. Had my first blowout, which also caused damage to the tire skirt. Still trying to figure out the best way to change a tire when road side service says they can't find anybody. The police finally stopped and had us use the ramp method. When we got to our final destination I dropped the tongue on one of my generators. Luckily the front stabilizer wheels were partially down because I had already started to set up so the full weight of the tongue didn't all all the way down. I have a fully functional generator with a broken body.

I assume there are hundreds of other things that I have yet to do. Right now I am suffering post tramatic stress from just this past weekend. I get nervous just looking at the RV. Oh, I can't look at it. The RV it at the dealer getting the new steps and damage repaired.

edmojenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
Ouch!! I hope you have all your bad luck out of the way now...with only good things happening from now on!!
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
You may benefit from one of those RV orientation courses...even though you have had your Montana for a year and a half, it's never to late to learn new tricks. Good luck on any of your future trips.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Eddie,
Hope you did not break a mirror or walk under a ladder so this won't keep happening for seven years.
Look at the good side, most people take years to learn what you learned in one weekend so now you should have great trips to report on.
Sorry for all the mishaps but glad no one was injured except your pride.
You are lucky you have a garage big enough to keep the Montana in.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Just to make you feel better, While we were at Goshen my wife needed to go to the airport to go and visit our new grandaughter. We left 5:30 AM for South Bend AP. Pouring rain, black dark, and on the way back to Monty, missed a turn. Used what looked like a large driveway to turn around. Didn't see a steel post there and destroyed right rear fender on dually. Oh well. Sorry for your troubles, maybe you will find some comfort in not being alone. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I imagine you’ll have a different outlook when you get it back from the dealer. Some days just seem like they’re all bad. Sometimes you’re the windshield and sometimes you’re the bug! Glad they were mostly minor mishaps. As a member of the human race I can assure you these things are ever so common.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
WELL if you didnt have BAD LUCK I dont think you would have any at all.....things have to get better.........
Old 10-04-2011, 04:39 AM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Go to a rally and learn the tricks from other MOC'ers.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:34 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Eddie, You might consider using a checklist the next time you move. I found it really helped me in the beginning.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
I am so sorry that you have had some bad experiences. Early on we learned two things - SLOW DOWN and go through the checklist - until it becomes routine.

I know it wasn't your intention but you made us feel pretty good about our LITTLE mishaps!
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #11
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
It definitely could be worse... We had friends who had a TT. Been pulling it about a year. Went to Lancaster and parked in a parking lot for dinner with it. Pulled out of the parking lot and hit the side of the building. Smashed in the whole side and did damage to the building. RV was not fixable. The building was.

RV'rs are resulant people!!! Live and learn. Mistakes are just learning experiences. Sometimes costly. Still better than sitting at home. Take a deep breath, put some things in place like the check list others suggested... and move forward.

Ourselves, we had a season of breakdowns. Everytime we went out for the 1st 5 x this year we never got to our destination. We would fix one thing and something else went wrong. A few times was a repeat of something we fixed but mechanic screw up. We were very frustrated! We felt like the black cloud was over our head as soon as we left our driveway. On our 6th trip out everything was going fine and someone at a red light put their window down and said they heard something when we breaked. We both looked at each other and said you have got to be kidding me. It was a false alarm, just the brakes engaging, but we we both got sick to our stomaches. Know exactly what you mean about PTS. It took us a while untill we felt comfortable again. You will in time.

Good Luck! Don't be so hard on yourself! Crap happens!
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Be thankful that you don't have a corner on the market. Over the years we have experienced a lot of "mistakes" also. Using the check list is good advice and just when you think you have it right go through it again. Louise and I are always double checking each other's work and it's surprising how many things we find that the other forgot.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
therollingstones
Established Member

M.O.C. #11347
you got me scared! it's still worth the trouble though. my complaints seem minor now haha
therollingstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
For us the checklist isn't just "until we get used to it". We need the checklist to counter the friendliness of folks in the RV community. As soon as we pull in the campground folks want to come up and welcome us and give assistance. Without a checklist something will get out of order or forgotten and then the only question becomes do we have to do everything over (didn't put the leveling boards under) or did we break something and how much will it cost. We learned the hard way-always use our checklist.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #15
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
At least you were on the ground. You could have bought an airplane instead and there is no room for errors there. Pilots all have check lists and dont even try to remember whats on the list.I would definately recommend one. I also try not to be in a hurry when getting ready for a trip.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #16
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you need a list to start with Larry Longwell helped me develop a checklist on Excel so it can be modified for your personal needs. I just revised it after some input from folks at the rally and personal experiences along the way. If you would like it just email me and I'll send it to u.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #17
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
cdaniels said it...it's better than sitting at home. Now, I'm thinking about a checklist...
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #18
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Wow...have to appreciate your honesty. It's hard to admit our mistakes sometimes but if you've learned from them it's not all bad!
Some advice from both the forum and my own limited experience:

~ Checklist! Or at least be very methodical and (very important) have someone who is normally traveling with you know what to do and look for to double check the process...ESPECIALLY hitching and unhitching! My teenage son is very helpful in catching my oversights (still training wife )

~ Slow down and do a complete "walk-around" upon arrival and especially prior to departure. Look for things big and small that need to be done and prone to be overlooked. Talk to your helper/observer during this process.

~ Replace your China bomb tires (assuming they are) with some of the higher rated ones MOC users own. I have BFG Commercial TAs and they are excellent, but there are others.

~ Don't be discouraged, but DO be more careful! I have been fortunate but have had a few close calls in my brief RVing time too, so I don't say that self righteously at all.

~ Read lots of tips here on the forum and make note of what others have learned the "hard way".

Hang in there...
Old 10-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #19
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
Hey guys. Thanks for all the advice. The first month we got the 5er my wife and I made a detailed checklist. We used it religiously that first year.......do you see where this is headed?

My new slogan - there are three dozen things you HAVE to get right when you are hooking up or unhooking. 35 out of 36 ain't good enough.
edmojenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #20
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
After 6 years we still use our checklists. We dropped the Monty twice...luckily we have a Blue Ox bedsaver. The first time was because we had started setting up and decided to move the Monty a few feet. We had already unhooked, but forgot because we were actually doing something out of the norm. The second time was because we were on an severe incline and the Monty wouldn't unhitch. Saved both times by the Blue Ox!! I can't recommend them more highly!! Good luck, stick to the lists...check everything once, twice and maybe a third. Have fun and be glad no one was hurt. Joanie
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote