Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Do you remove your 5er hitch often?

I do, after each trip. I store it in the garage at the rear of my property. Even though it is in two pieces I hate carrying the parts way back there to stow it.

So I made a dolly for it. I used two pieces of 2x4s and two pieces of 2x6 (I think all 2x4s would have worked) to create a rectangular dolly, with casters under each corner (two static and two that turn). I also drilled out some recesses on the top of the dolly where the rings on the bottom of the hitch nestle in place and then fastened a little box to keep the pins and cotters together on the dolly. I marked the side with the casters that turn and make sure the hitch release bar is on that side. I use the release bar to steer and pull the whole thing wherever it's needed. My back loves it.

Set up takes less time since I now don't have to back my truck up to get it close to the garage just to reinstall the hitch. I can easily roll the hitch wherever I need to. Okay, I do have to take the dolly and put it back into the garage, but it is MUCH lighter.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Every winter my hitch comes out of the TV. I store it on a skid beneath the street side basement. The SuperGlide is a heavy hitch and I usually get a couple friends to help.
I haven't tried it myself but I have seen folks leave the hitch attached to the pin box and use the trailers front jacks to lift it off the TV bed. Pull the TV away and the hitch just hangs there. For me that would create more of a hazard than just the pin box and so it wouldn't my best move.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:04 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
[center]Each of us must work out our own solution. I like how Art-n-Marge describes the way in which they store theirs. I would like to see some pictures of it though. I don’t have that kind of room for storage so our hitch stays in the truck year round. If the truck is needed and I have to remove the hitch I do as Glenn has described. I hook up to the camper and then I pull the pins and lift it off of the truck. That saves a lot of effort and can easily be done myself. I’m not concerned with any pressure or binding that may be on the hitch, I feel there may be a lot more stress whenever the Monty is being towed.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:37 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I never remove min, but then it's a TrailerSaver hitch and it's too heavy to remove. Besides, we're moving most of the time.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:15 AM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I remove mine with an electric winch mounted in the rafters of my barn. I lift it out and set it on a dolly that I made for it. I lifted the hitch out of the truck manually once, that was enough!
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:29 AM   #6
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I only remove mine when I need to pack something in the truck. It usually stays in the truck year round.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:26 AM   #7
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I keep my hitch in year round. Because I also have a transfer tank in the bed of my truck it is easier to use my 5x8 enclosed utility trailer if I need the extra space.

My father does take his hitch out of the bed when not pulling his trailer. He does not use his trailer as much as we use ours. Just like Art he has a cart he puts it on to wheel it in to the garage.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:06 AM   #8
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
I also only remove my hitch when I need to use the full bed of the truck. However, that's getting to be several times a year.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:13 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill-N-Donna

Each of us must work out our own solution. I like how Art-n-Marge describes the way in which they store theirs. I would like to see some pictures of it though. I don’t have that kind of room for storage so our hitch stays in the truck year round. If the truck is needed and I have to remove the hitch I do as Glenn has described. I hook up to the camper and then I pull the pins and lift it off of the truck. That saves a lot of effort and can easily be done myself. I’m not concerned with any pressure or binding that may be on the hitch, I feel there may be a lot more stress whenever the Monty is being towed.
I am glad you mentioned that Bill. I once had one heck of a discussion with an SOB 5er owner. He insisted you would be putting way to much strain on the pin box storing it in such a manor. To this day I still think he believes he's right.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:13 AM   #10
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Well I guess I have a different approach. I simply lift hitch up (using the lever and fulcrum method) and move it forward so the rear pins are now in the front slots and front "pins" are resting on short 2X. This keeps my hitch under the truxedo cover out of weather and sight, always ready to use when needed, didn't have to lift out of tv, and still locked in place with the locks through the pins. Pretty much out of way for anything I may haul.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:28 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Never been out of the truck.Don't use the truck for anything else.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:40 AM   #12
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Mine comes out when we are at the winter site. The B&W Companion hitch comes apart in 2 pieces, so it is manageable for one person who doesn't have back trouble. I place it on a cheap (Harbor Freight for $10.00) furniture dolly and roll it out of the way under the front skirt. That cheap dolly is rated for 1000#.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #13
azleflyer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9140
I remove mine when not in use. I use a two wheel dolly for transport to the back yard for storage.
I like the idea of using the pin box to remove and store the hitch, may give it a try next time.
azleflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #14
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Our hitch is out of the truck now and son is using it. Being a B & W it comes out in two pieces and is relatively easy to remove, I still have the ball for our Goose neck trailer. When we are down south in the winter we will likely leave the hitch in the truck under cover.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:08 PM   #15
Rescue 1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6113
Ours usually lives in the truck bed. The Superglide pins can be a real bear to come out so it's easier just to leave it in there. Besides the extra 300+ pounds helps with the ride of an empty 3/4 ton truck...
Rescue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #16
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Here's a link to the picture of the hitch dolly I built. Someone mentioned they use a $10 furniture dolly. I have two of these at home but they cost me $20 each but they did not fit my hitch well enough. So for 10 dollars in parts (and my time being worth nothing) I made this one to custom fit my particular Valley 16K hitch.

http://s658.photobucket.com/albums/u...Hitch%20dolly/

I hope the link works.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #17
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I take mine out when at home and not towing. Like others, it comes out in two pieces and is not too heavy.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:50 AM   #18
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
I leave it in the truck during the months we are able to use the trailer. In the off months the truck has a cap on it. I think this is going to be the last year of the cap for me. It is getting to be more of a problem to take it off than it is worth. I used to haul a bunch of tools around but age and a "devil may care" attitude has made that redundant.
I was considering a tonneau cover for the bed but reading some posts on the subject has me in a holding pattern. Now if I was retired I would be able to give thought to this problem that it deserves instead of bothering about work related issues. There is another reason to put me chips in.
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #19
Jim Dickey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7372
Stays in the truck, only removed(2 pieces)when needed.
Jim Dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:21 AM   #20
Papalr
Established Member

M.O.C. #8618
Took our superglide hitch assy out after the last trip in the fall by leaving it attached to the pin and lifting it out (superglide's brochure approves of this method). I then found a metal "work-mate" that supports 750 lbs and lowered the hitch softly onto the lfat surface. It worked really good and kept me from running into it!
Papalr is offline   Reply With Quote