Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2006, 05:42 PM   #1
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Treating the Oak Trim

What do you use to treat the Oak Trim in our Montys? An oil based treatment like Liquid Gold or some other furniture oil? Thanks
Rick

rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
The oak in the Monty has a clearcoat finish on it. What they use I don't know Laq. or urithane. if you use a oil or wax cleaner or conditioner it will just lay on it and not soak in. I own a furniture store and we use a product by Pledge that is oilless and does not streak. Cleans real good. Can't think of the name but I'll look at it tomorrow. Allmost all of our furniture is finished so we don't count on anything soaking in to the wood. If its not finished we we use bees wax. Like Howards Woodcare Products. Just my opion.
jrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:35 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Rick, some of the TRIM in our Montana's is NOT Oak, but plastic. The DOORS are OAK, real wood. But a lot of that trim that is around the slides, is NOT Oak, but some kind of plastic. At least that is my understanding, but, hey, I have been wrong before and will be again. You might want to look real close and let us know what you think. We all know that the cabinet bases are covered with paper type stuff, right?? I am sorry, I know that my terminology is ALL off this AM. Someone will come along and correct me!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:01 AM   #4
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
You are correct, most of the paneling has a paper thin plastic oak covering. The doors and trim is solid oak.

We use Liquid Gold and it seems to bring life back into the wood. At least in the 2001 the Liquid Gold seems to soak into the wood and there doesn't appear to be any clear coat.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Yep, knew about the trim and photo fish stuff around doors etc. Looking real close to the Cabinet doors and the surround trim on the slides, it is solid oak with a plasticized finish of some type, so guess I'll just wipe with a mild detergent soulution and dry well. Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #6
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Rickety, Maybe i can help on this one. I have enough Oak Cabinets in rental homes to drive a sane person crazy. After years of fighting them, i was given the golden answer.
Clean the cabinets with Denatured Alcohol. (Lowes or Home Depot) Never use anything that contains water in it or other chemical cleaners. The water or chemical cleaner soaks in little amounts and turns the cabinet dark over time.
Wet a paper towel with the Alcohol and clean the cabinet faces. Make sure to change your paper towels frequently.
When done, put a coat of Formby's Tung Oil Finish on with a clean white cotton rag. I use the Low Gloss. Do't put it on heavy, a light coat is all thats needed. Wait 24 hours for it to completly dry of and if you wnat a second coat, apply when the first coat is completly dried.
An yes, it works on home oak cabinets as well, not just mobile Cabinets. (Chuckle)
Safety Note. Any rags or brushes used to apply tonge oil should not be thrown directly in trash containers. Leave out in open air till dry before disposing of.
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:30 AM   #7
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
When we got Monty there wasn't enough finish on the oak. I just this week washed it all with paint thinner & put a coat of polyurethane on all of the oak trim & tables & etc.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:55 PM   #8
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Rick,
I'm with Gene. After the first time I "tried" to dust our cabinets I noticed that the coating that was on it, was, well, hardly there, not to mention the edges being very rough, it snags on everything! So, I have been refinishing, door by door over a period of time, I lightly sand the fronts and backs and have to put a little more effort on the corners as that is where the wood is not very smooth. (I picked up a golden oak stain for those times I sanded a little too hard). When all is smooth and even in color, I apply at LEAST 2-3 coat of Water-borne Polyurethane, (the water based products don't yellow). And for cleaning, I just usually dust. If it gets spills or whatnot on them, you can use warm soapy water on a dishcloth and wash like you do you counters.

Now I can run a duster over the cupboard and not have to worry about snags. Also, the Poly U. adds to the durability of the wood. I plan to also put a finish on the dining Table and our Desk as I can already see some indentations on my desk.

I think the only thing you can do for the part of the cupboards that are not wood is to use a dishcloth with soapy water and but a roll of the stuff for when it gets a tear or a hole in it.

Joy T.
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:21 PM   #9
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Thanks Joy! I think I will start redoing the doors, as like you said they are rough. I appreciate the information