Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
RV wax

Need some information. Today I took my Monty out of hibernation and I am in the process of doing some housekeeping. In the past I have used a wash solvent with wax, but to start off the season I would like to put a good coat of wax on her. I have a bottle of Meguiar's car wax in the garage. I have always thought that was good wax, but is it suitable for fiberglass and decals. I am getting conflicting information on internet sites.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
http://www.protectall.com/pawax.htm

Check this out
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 05:41 PM   #3
Koalityman
Established Member

M.O.C. #4872
Michael,

I'm sure you will receive lots of advice on this one. I used McGuires for years on my autos but decided to use wax that is specifically recommended for fiberglass. I'm using 3M Boat wax purchased from a local Marine/Boat store. The large bottle cost $19. I also noticed a bottle of McGuires also maded for Boats and RV's (fiberglass) but the cost was $35. I took the lower cost approach and am very satisfied.
Koalityman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:27 PM   #4
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
I used McGuires on my Corvettes (which are made of fiberglass) for years. You're not waxing the fiberglass, you're waxing the paint or clear coat. Fiberglass has a gel coat on it, then it is painted, and then usually clear coated. Fiberglass is real ugly until you gel coat it and paint it. Wouldn't rub to hard on the decals.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:58 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have used Meguira's wax for the past 2 years on my coach. I use it on the entire coach, and use the Aerospace 303 on the decals, so far so good. I am going to look into the protectall when the coach comes out of storage. I also throughout the summer use a good wash/wax soap on the coach to keep a nice layer on the coach to help keep it looking new.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:24 AM   #6
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Suggest Nu-Finish which is designed to be used on fiberglass. Its available at Wall-Mart and does an outstanding job...easy on....easy off and lasts a long time.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:58 AM   #7
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
I just finished washing & waxing my unit. Used Protect-All from CW and it went on easy and had no problems wiping it off.
Did a nice job on cleanning up what I did not get with the RV wash.
dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:35 AM   #8
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
I've used Mequiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax for the past couple years on our Mountianeer and Z06. Works great for us on both and is easy work for this much area.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:23 AM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I also like Nu-finish. Mostly because of ease of application in sun or shade. Seems to stand up well, it is not expensive and readily available.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:11 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I also cast a vote for Nu-finish. Have used it for years on my boats and the Monty and love it and so like they say "If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote