Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2005, 09:04 AM   #1
bigrockbruce
Established Member

M.O.C. #4292
Expandable Wheel Chocks

Still in the process of outfiting our new 3295RK and I was wondering how many of you have used the expandable wheel chocks? I have read about several diffent types in RV magizines and would like to know if they actually do prevent the motion in the rig while parked? Since there are several price differences, if you do recommend them what brands do you have or would you purchase
Thanks,

bigrockbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:36 AM   #2
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
I use the BAL expandable chocks, the ones that use a wrench to expand them. It dampens the fore/aft movement somewhat, and I am convinced the expandable ones are the best for keeping the rig from rolling backward or forward if parked on an incline/decline. There is still some movement of the trailer when we walk around, but it is minimal if we have the front tripod set up also.

Of course there are times at our age "rocking" the rig is still possible.

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:53 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I also use the BAL expandable chocks, they do help with some of the fore/aft movement but no side to side movement. I also use two more sets of chocks, one that I back the rig onto and then place the second set in front of the tires. Then pull the rig forward and slide the back set up, so they are snug against the rear of the tires. I then place the expandable chocks between the tires, put on the wheel covers and I am set. Have the tripod under the kingpin to try and help with the movement as well. I read on a post some time ago and I think it was Glenn who suggested it. Buy a set of bottle neck jacks and place them on the frame or spring mounts, (I forget where) and make those just tight enough to help take some of the bounce off the tires. They are on my xmas list to get for next year.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:21 AM   #4
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We also use the BAL expandable chocks and have been happy with them. They are easy for me to handle, even though I get the wrenching direction backward half of the time.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:00 AM   #5
Montana_4454
Established Member

M.O.C. #4454
I use the roto-chocks and have had good luck with them. I have found after you are set-up for a couple of hours be sure to check because the tires will decrease in size and the chocks will loosen.
Henry
Montana_4454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:23 PM   #6
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I also use Roto-chocks.I use to have a different kind that i bought at Camping World.Roto-chocks are very well made and really do stop the movement.Would highly recomend them.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 03:33 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420

Above are the 3 items I use to stabilize my rig. In my opinion, leave any one out of the picture and the other 2 are questionable.

The tripod of course goes under the pin box and it is adjustable. For me the tripod by itself was useless until I added the chocks and the jacks.

The BAL chocks are mechanically tightened between the tires and unlike the cheap plastic wedge shaped chocks, affectively remove all back and forth movement.

2 jacks go under the frame just behind the rear spring shackles. They are snugly cranked up against the frame but not enough to lift the trailer. I didn't feel I needed them but a second pair of jacks can also be used in front of the shackles.

This system along with the rigs front jacks and rear stabilizers take nearly 90% of any movement out of my rig.

I should note that I only use the above when I will be in the campground for a week or more but I always use the mechanical chocks.
After I have the rig parked where I want the chocks are the first things to be put on and when breaking down the last things to be removed.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:14 PM   #8
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Another vote here for the BAL expandable chocks. I use them and think they take out a good deal of movement.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:57 PM   #9
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Another recommendation for the expandable chocks. They do a wonderful job eliminating movement on my unit. I also like the secure feeing of the chocks being in place.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 03:45 AM   #10
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
OK I am convinced! I need to shop for the expandable chocks. One place we parked we were backed up to the Sacramento River on a slight slope and I was very concerned that my little chocks were adequate. I went looking for some very big blocks of split wood to put behind the wheels. At the time I wished I had the expandable chocks. Where is the best buy on them?
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:01 AM   #11
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
While you can get better prices on the internet than many RV dealers, you will pay enough for shipping to offset the difference. If you have a Camping World nearby, they usually have the chocks for about 50.00, but most RV dealers also have them or can get them for you. I would pick the closest place to avoid spending the fuel to get the "best" deal.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:32 AM   #12
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Got a pair of expandable chocks and kingpin jack. Really help a lot on my 3650rk
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:24 PM   #13
Montana_1858

M.O.C. #1858
We have the expandable also. We have the ones Karl has, that require a wrench. We had the type that expand with a lever you pulled down to lock, several years ago, if it wasn't for a tree our TT would have been in a lake. They simply popped out. We are on our third RV with the wrench kind with no problem.
Montana_1858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:39 AM   #14
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Good information thanks.
will order them online at camping world with my 10% discount and $1 shipping I can get a pair for around $110. Ordered and on the way.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:50 AM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
When I went on line to buy the expandable wheel chocks Camping World has review on both types they carry. After reading the review, we purchased the kind with the wrench. The other one did not have goo reviews. Farmer Don is right about the price and the $1 shipping although the shipping was a special and it may end soon. I have wanted these for several years and Ed didn't want to spend that kind of money. However after visiting several units that had them at the Mt. Shasta rally last May, he became convinced that they were great. So thanks fellow campers. Ours are here waiting to go to Reno.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote