Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Exhaust Brake

I recently had a PacBrake PRXB Exhaust Brake installed on my truck. Well today I went for a test drive with the Monte in tow for a few hours which included a few hills with at least a 6 or 7% grade and I wasn't disappointed. This thing exceeded my expectations. I was told to expect that the truck would hold back the Monte on a 7% grade without applying the brakes. What I didn't expect was that it would slow it down enough that I would have to give it more fuel to maintain a certain speed. So for those of you that are thinking of an Exhaust Brake, in my opinion they are worth it. As a side note, the installer told me that the tow haul mode works great up to about 11,000 lbs GCVW.

PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Rich, I have factory exhaust brakes on my 2007.5 Dodge and use them all the time. They say you can save about 20% of wear and tear on your brakes. Feels nice when you have to give it a little fuel when going down a grade.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I think the installer is trying to make some money with a little bit of exaggeration. 11,000 lbs doesn't even cover most TV's GVWR much less a GCVWR. That being the case it would be difficult to call it a "TOW"/Haul mode if when you're towing is when you need the assist and it isn't even helping if his statement was true. I must not be understanding what the installer meant by "works great".

No doubt the Exhaust brake is a big help, and I wish all diesel engines came with it, but until then my Tow/Haul is better than nothing but does require mashing on the brake occassionally (the exhaust brake should prevent that and maybe that's what he meant), and some people have been using nothing but downshifting for many years prior with some success.

Congrats on your PacBrake, PapaBeav!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
richard66
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5896
I have the same series Pacbrake on my 5.9 cummins and it far exceeds my expectations. Your service brakes will last many miles longer and not be prone to fade and overheating during long downhill grades. The exhaust brake makes for safer towing because you have more control of your speed. Installation was very easy and requires very little maint. Will never again tow without one.
richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:56 AM   #5
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I am glad to hear your review on the PacBrake. Mine is on order. Had to get that one, as Banks no longer make one for my year of truck.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Rich,

Just a side note for further research and something to think about. I believe I remember, on the dodge diesel forum, talk about the use of an exhaust brake in combo with tow/haul (while raining) as not recommended. Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FLSTS03

Rich,

Just a side note for further research and something to think about. I believe I remember, on the dodge diesel forum, talk about the use of an exhaust brake in combo with tow/haul (while raining) as not recommended. Steve
You are correct Steve, in the brochure is does state. "The Exhaust Brake should be turned off when operating your vehicle on wet,icy and/or snowy covered surfaces."
Old 03-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Is that because of the additional braking effect that's not driver controlled?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A exhaust brake is great but I can not see having both the exhaust brake and tow haul .. If I did not have tow haul I would go for the exhaust brake. " As a side note, the installer told me that the tow haul mode works great up to about 11,000 lbs GCVW. This guy is a great salesperson. My truck weighs 9250lbs so according to the installer I can safely tow a 1750lbs 5th wheel. My GCWR is @ 23K I am 11K over/////
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I found the difference between tow haul mode and an exhaust brake to be like night and day. On a 7% grade in tow haul I would have to drop it into 3rd gear and still apply the brakes. With the exhaust brake and going down a 7% grade I will have to give it more fuel or it will keep slowing down. It is recommended to leave the exhaust brake on all the time (except when wet and icy conditions are present). But do not have it on and in tow haul mode when not trailering or you might slide off the seat when you let off on the excelerator, because it brakes very quickly.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:01 AM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I was lucky to have it on my new Dodge from the factory, on my truck they recomend that tow haul and the exhoust brake be used together when pulling a load. I also have to give it fuel to go down the Cajone grade in Calif. I think it is a good adition for any truck.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've towed with Fords with tow/haul but no exhaust brake. They did fine. The Dodge has both tow/haul and the exhaust brake. I can sure feel the difference when either is off. I've sometimes inadvertently turned on tow/haul but not the exhaust brake and when descending a hill I reach down and hit the button for the exhaust brake it makes a significant and immediate difference.

I do think for 95% of MOC members tow/haul is probably plenty. But having an exhaust brake to go with it is even better. For the other 5%, those who tow down serious descents, having both is a big advantage. This is just my opinion, however.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487

I would say that if you live in the east and don't do any traveling out west then the tow haul is probably good enough. But out here in the west we have things called mountains and it is sure a big help on some of the long steep grades that we have. The tow haul was better than nothing, but it doesn't compare with the exhaust brake.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:45 AM   #14
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I never had an exhaust brake on a truck but have had several on M/H's. Speaking from that knowledge I can say that the exhaust brake worked better for me. However in the truck I'm pleased with the tow haul. With both you would have serious slowing down power.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote