Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
low point drains.

On my 2003 Big Sky 3670RL, I have 3 low point drains. One is off by itself, about 2' inward, street side, near the front axle. The other 2 are about 1' inward from the street side, very near the bracket holding the waste water drain pipe. I think the one off to itself is the main fresh water system drain. What do the other 2 lines drain?

I am installing some valving and piping to bring the low point drains to a more functional location, a location more convenient than crawling under the coach and getting drowned.

I know that some of you have made this type modification but did you modify all 3 drains?

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Stiles I believe they are the hot and cold water line drains. You're correct on the fresh water low point drain being by itself.

We did not modify their location but we did bring them up into the under belly to help prevent freezing when we winter camp and added valves. I'll be interested in seeing your mod as climbing under is really a drag.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Stiles, those other two lines drain your hot and cold water from their respective lines when it is time to winterize or sanitize your water system.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:31 PM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I put shut off valves on all 3. On the fresh water tank I added a fitting to connect a garden hose.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
On our prior Montana I put a valve only on the single one, the drain for the freshwater tank. As other said, the other two are low point drains. They are situated at the low point in their respective lines, as their names imply. When winterizing you can drain those and in theory that drains all the water in the lines. In reality, there will still be pockets and drops of water here and there that eventually will get together and migrate to the low point drains. If you are using antifreeze to winterize you may decide not to drain at the low point drains but just to run the antifreeze through the system, pushing the water out the faucets.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

On our prior Montana I put a valve only on the single one, the drain for the freshwater tank. As other said, the other two are low point drains. They are situated at the low point in their respective lines, as their names imply. When winterizing you can drain those and in theory that drains all the water in the lines. In reality, there will still be pockets and drops of water here and there that eventually will get together and migrate to the low point drains. If you are using antifreeze to winterize you may decide not to drain at the low point drains but just to run the antifreeze through the system, pushing the water out the faucets.
Steve we did that last year and busted one of our low point drain valves we put in. It froze up. In years prior to this we always opened them up but I forgot! I winterized this past winter myself.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote