Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2005, 07:42 AM   #1
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Bed boxes

Can anyone tell me how tall a cross mount box can be put in at the tailgate and still hook up and tow 5er. Is this possible or just another crazy idea?

RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:01 AM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
again,....not crazt at all, but there isn't an exact size as it depends on the height setting of your hitch. many hitches are adjustable in size to acomodate the vehicle towing it. some hitches like mine are mounted directly to the frame...while some people (most) have the rails mounted on the floor of your truck bed.

one piece of advise....take into consideration a few inches of clearance extra for the few times you may be at some strange height differances with the truck and trailor.

there are places that sell pre made fith wheel boxes. I prefer the type that sit below your truck rails and sit in the bed. this way if you want a cover ...it would fit right over the top of it!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:14 AM   #3
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
We have Highway products box. If you go to www.800toolbox.com you can view their line. We ordered ours online and have had it for about 8 years with no problems. Also there are a lot of companies that advertise in Trailer Life magazine.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 12:29 PM   #4
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
For towing, I prefer the toolboxes that sit below the bed rail. Not only do you not have to worry about clearances when at some extreme angles, but when hooking up, it's easier to see the hitch through the rear window.
They also have under rail toolboxes that have a sloped lid, which is to improve hitch visibility also.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:56 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have a diamond metal box that rises about 2" to 2-1/2" above the side rails. Since my 5er rides about 5" above the rail, there is no clearance problem. It is low enough for me to clearly see the hitch mechanism from the driver's seat.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 06:06 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours is a shortbed so I had to get rid of my box that sat up on the siderails. It just restricted my turn radius too much. I bought a box that sits inside the front of the bed and does not rise above the rails. I got this one at Tractor Supply. It's a metal box. Mine is not the diamond plate, it's smooth metal. It originally was a creamy white, which didn't work with the truck I first put it in (it's been in three trucks) so I painted it black.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 09:33 AM   #7
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
They make a box with a 'vee' cutout to clear the hitch and flat topped ones that are about 10"/11" tall.

http://www.realtruck.com/products/trucktrunk.php
http://store.yahoo.com/tylertool/hiprfiwhpabo.html
http://www.truckstuffusa.com/dee91758.html

I'm sure there are more manufacturers out there.

Keep in mind you will be affecting your trucks payload, [read pin wt cap]. You haven't identified your truck, but I would think these are not a good idea with a 3/4t.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 03:26 PM   #8
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
I just made one for the rear of my trck bed.
In the front of the hitch I have a 70 gallon Transflo bed fuel tank.
I made it out of 5/8" plywood.
The box is 60" wide and 20" high and 20" deep.
There are 3 compartments the two end ones are 20" x 20" x 20".
The middle one is 20" x 20" x 10" high
It has a solid back and the part that goes towards the tailgate, opens up, hinged at the top and flips open onto the top of the box.
My cooker goes in one compartment, my pans go in the other high one and misc. items in the small one.
With the box at 20" high it is just at bed rail hight and the middle 10" high compartment allows me to back into the hitch.
Light enough to take out.
Used two 4x8 pieces of 5/8" plywood to make it, primes and painted white.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Oops, just realized you mean a toolbox at the back end of the bed, by the tailgate. Sorry, I read too quickly. If you measure the height of the hitch to get your answer, don't forget to deduce for the pin itself. The pin sits below the saddle, or whatever it's called. As someone else mentioned, they make a special box that's lower in the middle, giving you more box on the sides.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 06:17 PM   #10
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Here's what it looks like installed.

c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 06:47 PM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have a 30" wide box in the front which is 29" tall I think and the full width of the bed. In the rear I have a 10" tall box that fits just inside the width of the tailgate section. It touches the wheel well and is flush to the inside of the tailgate. This box is similar to the "v" but not as tall. I carry the power cords, wheel scissor chocks, extra sewer hose in 4" PVC pipe with caps, ax, etc. I have not bolted this one down but will when we go full time. Good news it is more storage space. Bad news it is more weight.
Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote