Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2020, 02:47 PM   #21
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
John-- are you sure that whoever pumped out your sticks and bricks septic didn't add something to it after pumping it? They normally add some enzymes, cultures or even active yeast to the tank after pumping them to keep the chemical action going in the tank once it's pumped out. Yes, there is still SOME enzymes left in the tank but normally not enough to keep the culture going after pumping. We have the septic system out at the farm and add a jar or a cake of active yeast to the toilet about once every six months and this keep it active. I've been using Happy Camper a natural enzyme additive to all three tanks on a regular basis and have never had a problem. It breaks up all solids and they flush down the slinky with no problems when I dump. I've found out that not using the enzymes there is always pieces of paper and some solids that come out of the tank when dumping. I know this because I have a clear attachment to my dump valve and I watch it when dumping. No matter what, the gauges will not show a correct level of fluid or solids in the tank. They are internal probes and get STUFF stuck to them no matter what is used. The only way to get accurate readings from the sensors is by going to the external sensors and the actually do work from what I've been able to tell by my friends having them installed on their tanks.
Randall- In respect to the tires, I have gone with Goodyear G 614's but the Sailun's G 637's are comparable and a whole lot less money. The only reason the G 614's are on my rig is because the Sailuns were not out yet when I purchased the rig back in 2013. From what I understand, the difference between the 80's and the 85's is about an inch in height and maybe a little wider and that is it. If I had it to do to my rig, I'd be going with the Sailuns even though they are a little harder to find when traveling the US if something happened to them.

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 02:48 PM   #22
RETCHIEF
Established Member

M.O.C. #23886
Same set-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think going to the 85s to gain the additional capacity is a bit of overkill; even the LRGs are to some extent. The OPs trailer weighs close to mine (his is a little lighter) and the LRFs that came on them met the new RVIA specs for reserve capacity. The LRGs take that further, to a very safe range IMO. When installing higher and higher capacity tires on a trailer there is a point of diminishing return, even no return.
I totally agree. So many folks want to improve without limits. I still have my original factory everything on both my Ram 3500 and HC 331 and all is well. I use a TPMS and visual checks at every stop. An RV can become a money pit if you want bigger and better stuff.
2017 Ram 3500
RETCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 03:33 PM   #23
Trailer Trash
Established Member

M.O.C. #22287
Carlisle tires

We have been riding on these for the past couple of years and been very satisfied with the performance. The Rainers that came on our 2018 331RE were garbage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8EEE684D-67AA-4C39-BA80-F45C25957539.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	332.0 KB
ID:	8030   Click image for larger version

Name:	08E2516C-FB09-4426-B18F-4580265DF8A7.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	319.5 KB
ID:	8031  
Trailer Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:05 PM   #24
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I've lived on septic for over 25 years and have never added one drop of anything to the tanks of any house other than what came out of your body and toilet paper. Not once has there been an issue.

Early on I went to a county offered class about septic and well and that is what I was taught you need to add nothing to them

Except don’t put much bleach in them. It kills bacteria.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:52 PM   #25
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Except don’t put much bleach in them. It kills bacteria.
Lynwood
Yea, I hear ya. We don't use much bleach here.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:55 PM   #26
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
John-- are you sure that whoever pumped out your sticks and bricks septic didn't add something to it after pumping it? They normally add some enzymes, cultures or even active yeast to the tank after pumping them to keep the chemical action going in the tank once it's pumped out. Yes, there is still SOME enzymes left in the tank but normally not enough to keep the culture going after pumping. We have the septic system out at the farm and add a jar or a cake of active yeast to the toilet about once every six months and this keep it active. I've been using Happy Camper a natural enzyme additive to all three tanks on a regular basis and have never had a problem. It breaks up all solids and they flush down the slinky with no problems when I dump. I've found out that not using the enzymes there is always pieces of paper and some solids that come out of the tank when dumping. I know this because I have a clear attachment to my dump valve and I watch it when dumping. No matter what, the gauges will not show a correct level of fluid or solids in the tank. They are internal probes and get STUFF stuck to them no matter what is used. The only way to get accurate readings from the sensors is by going to the external sensors and the actually do work from what I've been able to tell by my friends having them installed on their tanks.
Randall- In respect to the tires, I have gone with Goodyear G 614's but the Sailun's G 637's are comparable and a whole lot less money. The only reason the G 614's are on my rig is because the Sailuns were not out yet when I purchased the rig back in 2013. From what I understand, the difference between the 80's and the 85's is about an inch in height and maybe a little wider and that is it. If I had it to do to my rig, I'd be going with the Sailuns even though they are a little harder to find when traveling the US if something happened to them.
Not sure if your post was directed at me. If it was, no there was nothing added to the tank after pumping it out.
Old 12-13-2020, 04:59 PM   #27
Sokcap48
Established Member

M.O.C. #27141
I put Hercules “85’s” on ours about 18 months ago. Have been very happy so far. Haven’t had any problem with ride and they really show no wear. The 85’s clear fine, no problem with any clearances. 14 ply.
Sokcap48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:04 PM   #28
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Trash View Post
We have been riding on these for the past couple of years and been very satisfied with the performance. The Rainers that came on our 2018 331RE were garbage.
You could not pay me to ride down the road with any Carlisle tire on my camper or anything else for that matter. We purchased a new triple axle toyhauler travel trailer in 06 with Carlisle tires on it. After 5k miles the tires had 3" long 1/4" deep cracks in the tread in multiple places on all 6 tires. Dealer and Carlisle would do nothing about the issue. Even sent then A tire back for inspection.

I will NOT even run a Carlyle tire on my lawn mower.!!!!!
Old 12-13-2020, 05:10 PM   #29
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokcap48 View Post
I put Hercules “85’s” on ours about 18 months ago. Have been very happy so far. Haven’t had any problem with ride and they really show no wear. The 85’s clear fine, no problem with any clearances. 14 ply.
Just a thought. When you use a ST235/85R16 in place of a ST235/80R16 you are using a tire that is 1/2 inch wider than the OE tire.

The preferred rim width for the OE tire is 6" and 6.5" for the wider replacement.

Sailun says right in their PDF that special rims are required. I'd assume from that that like size and constructed tires from another barad will have that same requirement. (Just because it works doesn't make it right).

http://www.gosailun.com/Content/images2/637T/637T.pdf
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:17 PM   #30
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
You could not pay me to ride down the road with any Carlisle tire on my camper or anything else for that matter. We purchased a new triple axle toyhauler travel trailer in 06 with Carlisle tires on it. After 5k miles the tires had 3" long 1/4" deep cracks in the tread in multiple places on all 6 tires. Dealer and Carlisle would do nothing about the issue. Even sent then A tire back for inspection.

I will NOT even run a Carlyle tire on my lawn mower.!!!!!

Carlisles have come a long way in the last 14 years.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:30 PM   #31
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
The 235 is the width in millimeters. Since both are 235 the width should be the same. The 80 or 85 is the height in relation to the width. For example the 85 will be 5% taller top and bottom making them 10% taller, but since both tires are centered on the axle, it will raise the trailer just 5% which is .46 inches going from 80 to 85 series.
South Bend Flywheel and Clutch, Loadlifter 5000 Rear Air Bag Kit
G & S Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:43 PM   #32
Falcon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I have the Hercules on mine almost 2 years now after the original Ranier blew 250 miles from home after 6 months of ownership.

My Hercules have the deepest tread I've ever seen on any tire. From all apparent appearances, they seem to be really good tires.

I don't know if they ride rough or not. I did have mine balanced, but no one rides in the camper ever, so if it's a rough ride, does it really matter?

ST235/80RR16 Hercules H-901 - 14 ply

There are more reasons to seek a smooth ride than personal comfort. The jarring from a stiff tire affects every frame member, appliance, fixture, trim piece and all your stuff you pack in the trailer. So it does matter.
Airbags, Andersen Hitch
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:53 PM   #33
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
There are more reasons to seek a smooth ride than personal comfort. The jarring from a stiff tire affects every frame member, appliance, fixture, trim piece and all your stuff you pack in the trailer. So it does matter.
Well said!
To add to that, once you have a tire with enough capacity to carry the load, extra tire capacity starts to have negative consequences that need to be considered.
This is a case where "bigger is not always better".

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:08 PM   #34
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Carlisles have come a long way in the last 14 years.....
I'm not doubting that, but the image of those six tyres having as much damage as they did with a minimal amount of mileage on them is stuck in my brain forever.
You're burned be once I'm not going to ever give you the chance to do it again
Old 12-13-2020, 07:48 PM   #35
JimKrieger
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27179
Yes, the 85's will fit your wheels and will only be ½" closer to your trailer floor.
JimKrieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:30 PM   #36
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlates View Post
All,

First off, new to the club. Looking forward to gaining knowledge from everyone with years of experience.

I know there are a ton of opinions on tires and from all the research I have done I think I have it down to two selections, Wife and I just purchased a 2021 Keystone Montana 295RL (which we really like). The tires are ST235/80R 16F (12 ply).

Looking to upgrade the tires to:

Sailun ST 235/80R 16 G9 Rated/14ply (all steel)

Or

Hercules ST235/80R 16 H-901 (G rate/14 ply all steel)

Any opinions on either?

Second, could I put 85Rs on the 295RL model?

Lastly, my Black tank sensor always reads 1/2 even when drained. Any helpful hits?
I upgraded to the Sailuns and stayed with the 80’s. No real reason to go to the 85’s. Haven’t had them on long enough to develop any first hand experience. I went from E rated tires( way under rated for my 5er) to the G. Your next investment , and mine, is a TPMS system.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:46 PM   #37
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Okay, another tack.

ASPECT RATIO: Often referred to as the profile or series, the aspect ratio of a tire is determined by dividing a tire’s section height by its section width when the tire is: inflated to maximum air pressure, mounted on the approved measuring rim, and under no load. A tire with a lower aspect ratio responds to lateral force more effectively.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:03 PM   #38
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
The compelling reason would be getting around 400lbs more weight capacity per tire. If there is room between the tires and above them, I would opt for the 85,s. They are only 1" taller
Actually they are only 1/2" taller. They are 1" larger in diameter.
I have the 85's because I wanted the 1/2" but they are 1" closer together so I have to invert the stabilizer X-clamps s o I can get to the nut. Also they rub on the fenders.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:06 PM   #39
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Interesting. Never been on a septic system. Doesn't it still make sense, though, that if little enzymes will reduce stuff to much smaller pieces that flushing the tank might be more successful? I don't know since I haven't tried it but I've already bought the product so will give it a try. Reports have been positive from other users. If nothing else, the occasional sloshing still works.
I use a microbial tank treatment and these little critters really do the job!! They break down wast and TP and keep your sensors clean and working like new, providing they were working correctly in the first place. They will even get rid of a poo pyramid if you give it a couple days, and never have another one. They crawl up the sides of your tank and clean it top to bottom. Also works in grey tanks on the small food particles that go down the sink into the grey tank. You do not need to use a lot of water, and can start with about 3 gallons in the tank. Some even advise not to back flush your tank, as you are washing out the microbes with the flush. I do a small, quick flush, add about 3 gallons back in, add more treatments and Im done. No need for big water toilet flushes. An “average” flush will work fine. These work similar to RidX, but from what I have read, the microbes are a bit different. I’m using the Camco sensor cleaner and tank treatment now with great results, and will be testing the Unique digest-it brand next. Both available from Amazon and other places. Google them for best price. No need to go through all the gymnastics of flushing, and back flushing, and more water etc. Do some research and once you use them you will never use anything else, and no more black tank or grey tank issues. Too easy.....
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:58 AM   #40
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
Actually they are only 1/2" taller. They are 1" larger in diameter.
I have the 85's because I wanted the 1/2" but they are 1" closer together so I have to invert the stabilizer X-clamps s o I can get to the nut. Also they rub on the fenders.
I stated they were one inch taller which is correct you just did the math for people stating it would raise your trailer 1/2 inch and reduce the gap between the two tires by 1 inch.
Before I have the independent suspension installed the tires would rub the fenders and the underside of the trailer. After the independent suspension install I have plenty of clearance since the trailer was raised around 5 in