Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2020, 09:25 PM   #21
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by FG89 View Post
First post, wanted to share a recent experience of mine. Sorry if I’m hijacking, thought it went somewhat in line with the thread topic.

We are from Indiana, but we were towing our 2020 HC in PA with our 2019 F-450. Combined we are grossing over 30K. Got pulled over by at PA state trooper for not having my temporary tag on the rear of the camper. Just bought it a few weeks ago, all info was inside the cab. While stopped, the trooper checked the GVWR on the truck and camper. When he returned all of our information, he gave me a ticket for “operating a vehicle without a valid license for that class or type of vehicle.”

The trooper stated I was not legal in PA due to our gross being over 26K. I told him because I am operating for personal use, not being paid or compensated, I am legal. In addition, because Indiana does not require any other form of license for recreational use, I am legal state to state. He disagreed with both of these and gave me the ticket.

Has anyone dealt with this sort of encounter before? I have studied the DLA agreement with both PA and IN on them since this encounter and still believe myself to be legal to operate. In addition, I found a PA statute stating a nonresident can only operate a vehicle class that they are licensed to operate in their own state. So, since I can operate in my home state I should be able to operate in PA.
That trooper was totally wrong. he knew that you were from out of state & not likely to come back to court to fight the ticket, so he wrote it anyway, hoping you would just mail in a check. It's an old trick that has been used thousands upon thousands of times. Revenue generation.

Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:36 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
From what you have stated you should have been OK. We have a Ohio license and have been stopped at safety checks in more than one state over the years and the validity of our license has nver been questioned
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:32 PM   #23
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 3931fb View Post
Real easy guys. Commercial is working for hire. If I am picking up trailers and getting paid for it I am a commercial driver. If I own the truck, trailer, and I have not been put on payroll or been hired by anyone to move that unit down the road, I am NOT a commercial vehicle.
It is 100% NOT as simple as above

example
You have a racing hobby, you are pulling your own car around on your own trailer with your own pickup. Regardless if you pay yourself if you can win any dollars or have any 'sponsors' you get to play by the commercial rules.

Granted, the racing example only 'really' happens when someone is using a vehicle licensed for enough weight to raise the eye of the commercial enforcement officers; pretty much no one gets pinched in a non DOT'd pickup. But the example holds true.

Its such a pain that we don't use any of our own companies DOT'd vehicles to pull any of our personal trailers; we've bought our own personal tow vehicles.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:46 PM   #24
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
Steiny93, Finally, someone that’s knows .
I’ve said this before but people only hear what they want.
I’ve had my class A for 40 years and I’m not giving it up cause of this.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:13 PM   #25
FG89

M.O.C. #26824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N OH View Post
That trooper was totally wrong. he knew that you were from out of state & not likely to come back to court to fight the ticket, so he wrote it anyway, hoping you would just mail in a check. It's an old trick that has been used thousands upon thousands of times. Revenue generation.

Unfortunately that’s the conclusion I arrived at as well. Thank you all for the feedback.
FG89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:59 PM   #26
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
You can pay the ticket and just wait till it happens again. Or you can get the right endorsement and not worry about it. Your choice.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:50 PM   #27
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You can pay the ticket and just wait till it happens again. Or you can get the right endorsement and not worry about it. Your choice.
Huh? You are encouraging getting an endorsement not required by his state? If your license is good for what you are driving in your state it is good for all 50 states. Most states require nothing more than a basic drivers license for a private RV.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:44 AM   #28
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
Your GUN license is good in your state, why is it not good here?
I did give them two choices,
The third choice is going to court back in the state that issued it.
It’s up to him.
Have a nice day.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:16 AM   #29
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Your GUN license is good in your state, why is it not good here?
I did give them two choices,
The third choice is going to court back in the state that issued it.
It’s up to him.
Have a nice day.
Gun laws are not reciprocal across states. Vehicle and driver licenses are as part of interstate commerce.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:59 AM   #30
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
I was just making a point.
I don’t come on here to argue with anyone.
Do what every you want.
Hire a lawyer from the town the ticket was issued in and fight it. It’s a high price to pay to prove you’re right.
You can plead not guilty and appear in court to argue your case before the judge.
Either way, more money spend.
I’m done .
Old 08-22-2020, 06:07 PM   #31
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
You become commercial when you get paid..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:23 PM   #32
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by FG89 View Post
First post, wanted to share a recent experience of mine. Sorry if I’m hijacking, thought it went somewhat in line with the thread topic.

We are from Indiana, but we were towing our 2020 HC in PA with our 2019 F-450. Combined we are grossing over 30K. Got pulled over by at PA state trooper for not having my temporary tag on the rear of the camper. Just bought it a few weeks ago, all info was inside the cab. While stopped, the trooper checked the GVWR on the truck and camper. When he returned all of our information, he gave me a ticket for “operating a vehicle without a valid license for that class or type of vehicle.”

The trooper stated I was not legal in PA due to our gross being over 26K. I told him because I am operating for personal use, not being paid or compensated, I am legal. In addition, because Indiana does not require any other form of license for recreational use, I am legal state to state. He disagreed with both of these and gave me the ticket.

Has anyone dealt with this sort of encounter before? I have studied the DLA agreement with both PA and IN on them since this encounter and still believe myself to be legal to operate. In addition, I found a PA statute stating a nonresident can only operate a vehicle class that they are licensed to operate in their own state. So, since I can operate in my home state I should be able to operate in PA.

Trooper was wrong. If you are legal in your state; license classification/tow rig, you are legal in any other state - you do not have to comply with their licensing requirements. They do control other aspects of towing; max length, number of trailers etc. but not the requirements of your state issued DL. It is reciprocity and recognized in all states.

What you experienced is the "revenue - out of state" generator. They bet that you won't contest it and will just pay. Don't know what the stipulations are of the one you got but I'll just cite the way NM does; I'm from TX, I get stopped for any reason by a trooper and cited I have 2 options - plead guilty on the spot and agree to a "mail in" fine written on the ticket OR plead not guilty and return physically to the location of the judge for that particular jurisdiction to plead my case - no phone calls, no letters. Oh, BTW, if you pay it is not reported to go against your DL record in your state.... I just pay any I receive and go on, I'm not driving hundreds and hundreds of miles back to have a JP in some little town tell me you owe the fine anyway unless you hire a lawyer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:51 PM   #33
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Trooper was wrong. If you are legal in your state; license classification/tow rig, you are legal in any other state - you do not have to comply with their licensing requirements. They do control other aspects of towing; max length, number of trailers etc. but not the requirements of your state issued DL. It is reciprocity and recognized in all states.

What you experienced is the "revenue - out of state" generator. They bet that you won't contest it and will just pay. Don't know what the stipulations are of the one you got but I'll just cite the way NM does; I'm from TX, I get stopped for any reason by a trooper and cited I have 2 options - plead guilty on the spot and agree to a "mail in" fine written on the ticket OR plead not guilty and return physically to the location of the judge for that particular jurisdiction to plead my case - no phone calls, no letters. Oh, BTW, if you pay it is not reported to go against your DL record in your state.... I just pay any I receive and go on, I'm not driving hundreds and hundreds of miles back to have a JP in some little town tell me you owe the fine anyway unless you hire a lawyer.
Don’t forget that the only lawyer that’s taking new clients in that jurisdiction is the judge’s brother-in-law & they play golf/go fishing together every Sunday afternoon.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:56 AM   #34
rboan

M.O.C. #26290
https://rvmiles.com/rv-drivers-license-requirements/

I can't find an exemption for out of state drivers but regulations seem to go state by state.
rboan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:41 AM   #35
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
I dont get it.. gvwr has NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR WEIGHT.. MY TRUCK’S GVWR IS 14000 LBS. HOWEVER, LOADED AND READY WE HIT THE SCALES AT 9000.. OUR TRAILER’S GVWR IS 16000 LBS. LOADED WE ARE 13000 LBS. 13000 PLUS 9000 IS 22000 LBS. . GVWR HAS NOTHING TO DO EXCEPT FOR REGISTRATION PURPOSES. WE CLAIM 5900.. WE ARETO BE REGISTERED AS A CAR SINCE WE ARE NON COMMERCIAL..I WONDER HOW MANY TINY CARS THAT GUY TICKETS WITH 5

300 LB PEOPLE INSIDE..
Old 08-23-2020, 09:43 AM   #36
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
I have a car registered in a state that has no smog checks.. cali does not have jurisdiction over my car when driving in that state.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #37
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
http://patowing.com/files/cushycms_u..._312817312.pdf
Old 08-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #38
Bboretsky

M.O.C. #25967
Almost the same scenario. I have a Freightliner. NO DOT number as I do not have a CDL and am not working for a motor carrier. It says not for hire on the side. Registered at 35k GVW. I pass all the scales and weigh stations. Get stopped crossing into Washington about once ever 3 -4 times as I fly by the scales doing 70. Truck limit is 65. Get stopped, explain I am an RV and not for hire. They ask for my CDL and DOT paperwork.. Explain again that I do not need a CDL for my truck as it is for private use, class 5 or 8, air brakes or not. Often they have to look it up in both the Washington regs and the Montana ones. I now carry the Montana regs with me as well as an affidavit from the consultant that wrote the latest revision. The ONLY state that I WILL get ticketed and not allowed to move the rig is North Carolina where the do not allow Clas 5 or 8 righs without CDL and they do not have any reciprocity.
Bboretsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:10 AM   #39
Roy & Georgia
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27061
Wondering if the PA trooper wrote the ticket thinking you would go ahead and pay it since you’re not from there and would have to hang around to fight it in court. It happened to me with running a “red” light in New Mexico when I was on my way to a new job in Colorado and had to be there that Monday.
Roy & Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote