Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2020, 03:54 PM   #1
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Organized The Basement And Now

I’ve been working on organizing the basement for our trip and I thinks it’s as much as I can put in it and ride down the road. We have 12 medium totes and 3 small totes that have detail goodies, mechanic stuff, all kinds of screws, bolts sealants, My wires hobby stuff, pots, pans, holiday stuff, etc... cordless skill saw, jig saw, orbital sander, weed eater, blower, compressor, cordless drills, aluminum low profile 5ton floor Jack, out doors carper rug, ammo, gun cleaning and so on.

Anyways it’s full but yet accessible to what I need.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...1&d=1606344696

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...1&d=1606344696
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3D3BA696-6725-42EC-B676-7060A575D66E.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	7882   Click image for larger version

Name:	29925C3D-0CE3-4C28-A2F4-32D3E4E35C66.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	7883  

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:24 PM   #2
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
What's your pin weight now?
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
What's your pin weight now?
Won’t know until December 1, it’s not going to be that much more. I’ve thrown stuff out and just reorganized for the most part. I may have to throw the beer out

2017 3160 RL
Old 11-25-2020, 09:15 PM   #4
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsHemi View Post
Won’t know until December 1, it’s not going to be that much more. I’ve thrown stuff out and just reorganized for the most part. I may have throw the beer out
What!! Say it ain't so!! Back home Coors Light is one of the go to brands (mine). On the E coast it's sort of maybe, maybe not if it's even available. Hold on to that box!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:04 PM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
It's Coors Light!!! It shouldn't weigh anything 'cause it is so light!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:33 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dan, can I ask you why you are carrying a weed eater? I can see the other equipment but if you are staying a campgrounds their staff will be doing the lawns and trimming any weeds that might be around. I'm assuming you are also planning on working and living in your unit. While moving around the country be sure to scout out where and if the locals sell your Coors Light. Let us know and we'll join up for a few then. LOL
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:26 AM   #7
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Dan, can I ask you why you are carrying a weed eater? I can see the other equipment but if you are staying a campgrounds their staff will be doing the lawns and trimming any weeds that might be around. I'm assuming you are also planning on working and living in your unit. While moving around the country be sure to scout out where and if the locals sell your Coors Light. Let us know and we'll join up for a few then. LOL
I bought a Craftmans cordless combo weed eater and blower while I stay here in Ca, I just like to tidy up what they missed and edge around the concrete slab. I bought these silver bullets at Costco to help minimize stopping at local stores while traveling home.

2017 3160 RL
Old 11-26-2020, 07:34 AM   #8
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Most storage compartments look like a stop action photo of an explosion.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:43 AM   #9
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
It's Coors Light!!! It shouldn't weigh anything 'cause it is so light!
Ok you talked me into keeping the beer �� lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
What!! Say it ain't so!! Back home Coors Light is one of the go to brands (mine). On the E coast it's sort of maybe, maybe not if it's even available. Hold on to that box!!
When The Silver bullets are not available I grab Budweiser, I know the east coast likes those yuengling beers.

2017 3160 RL
Old 11-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #10
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Most storage compartments look like a stop action photo of an explosion.
Hahaha 😂, I try and keep the most use stuff on the outter side but sometimes it get messy depending on how deep I need to go.

2017 3160 RL
Old 11-26-2020, 01:03 PM   #11
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post

Rondo my wife makes me lug around a leaf blower. Happy wife, happy life.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:01 PM   #12
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
I could see where that might be handy to blow off slides.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:50 PM   #13
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I could see where that might be handy to blow off slides.

While that would provide me some cover I have to admit we have toppers.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:51 PM   #14
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
Don't take offense, but maybe your wife is a messy housekeeper and she uses a blower just to clean the house??

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:04 PM   #15
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We carry a cordless leaf blower and you'd be surprised how often and what it gets used for.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:58 PM   #16
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
Don't take offense, but maybe your wife is a messy housekeeper and she uses a blower just to clean the house??
Knowing my OCD wife I find humor in that.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:49 PM   #17
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
I'm taking an electric weedeater to Florida with me this year since we're staying 5 months.
I'm taking it in the box trailer on the 2nd trip though, with the golf cart.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:13 AM   #18
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
In our younger days, we use to pack like that, in anticipation of any disaster. We were often so loaded with stuff in anticipation of the inevitable happening, we barely had room to lay down on the bed.

After a few years we down-sized, and down-sized, and down-sized more and more to just the bare essentials.

I think it takes time to reach that point, but what it boils down to now is, we carry only the things we know we will use for "this" specific trip. So, sometimes there is a little bit of rotation going on. Case in point, we have a free standing, fire pit with a screen covered lid for those campgrounds or campsites we know do not have a fire ring. When we know we will be in one of these, we'll bring the fire pit. When not, we leave it at home.

Tool: It all fits comfortably into a medium size tool box. And other than a Philips and flat screw driver, a pair of plyers, a wire cutter, and my Robertson Head screw driver (the square head screw driver), and small set of socket wrenches, the other tools I carry are specific for the camper only. Like, the blow out plug for winterizing, and the weird aluminum socket for removing the electric heating coil in the water heater. A very few other miscellaneous hand tool I've actually used on the camper for one reason or another and that's it.

I have no intention of doing oil changes on my vehicle, repacking wheel bearings on the camper, or remodeling the interior either. In the event of problems along the "journey" I'll deal with that then. If it takes more than a screw driver, a pair of plyers, a tap with a hammer, or duct tape, the repair is too large and I probably can't and won't have the space or time to fix it myself anyway.

As far as leaf blowers an stuff like that, I see an advantage for bringing one along. Even an air compressor if you have bicycles or a golf cart is understandable. But in over 25 years of RV ownership, and a life time of being around RV's, I've never had to use an air compressor on any of my trailer or automobile tires when traveling. I have had tires replaced when traveling. But if they start loosing air, I'm not farting around with the tires, I'm getting new tires immediately! I quit dragging along the air compressor when the kids quit camping with us and the bicycles stayed home.

It takes time to slim down the items you actually use and end up removing the items you never use. Overkill is OK, if it works for you and you have the space. But here's my suggestion, if you are planning a long term trip, take several small ones first and keep track of those items you actually use, and seriously consider removing the items you don't use. You'll be surprised at how much "junk" you eventually leave behind.

You see this the most when you purchase your second trailer and you have to remove everything from the old one. You realize you've been dragging just around for years and never used it. Of course, if you actually use it, keep it.

I carry over 200 feet of garden hose. Sounds stupid I know. But I have use all 200 feet at least 4 times this last Summer. I carry a large amount of lumber for under the tires and jacks. I've used it all a couple times this last year on campsites that were tremendously not level. I carried an extra gallon of antifreeze for the truck because I had an engine repair earlier this year and after the repair the check coolant light kept coming on. I eventually used that entire gallon and then all of a sudden, the light quit coming one. I don't carry any extra with me any more.

We carry two quick shades, a shade for the picnic table, and a screened in tent to keep mosquitoes out. Sounds silly doesn't it. But, we've found occasion to use them all this last Summer, so they travel with us. However, the last two camps of this year, we did not use any of them. But they are still in the trailer.

We got rid of extra folding chairs and collapsible umbrella type chairs. We anticipated for years we might have guests sitting around the campfire with us. Well, the VERY few times that actually happened, our guests simply brought over their own chairs. So, we were dragging around 6 extra chairs that never got used. When we finally realized this, guess what ended up at the Goodwill store?

What I'm suggesting is, before hitting the road on your primary trip, you really should take a few week-end jaunts and chart what you REALLY need to bring along and what you can REALLY leave behind.

Having "stuff" does not make you a better camper and showing it off impresses no one. So we learned!!!! We were so "proud" of all our "junk", but eventually realized we were just fooling ourselves. No one cared.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:24 AM   #19
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
In our younger days, we use to pack like that, in anticipation of any disaster. We were often so loaded with stuff in anticipation of the inevitable happening, we barely had room to lay down on the bed.

After a few years we down-sized, and down-sized, and down-sized more and more to just the bare essentials.

I think it takes time to reach that point, but what it boils down to now is, we carry only the things we know we will use for "this" specific trip. So, sometimes there is a little bit of rotation going on. Case in point, we have a free standing, fire pit with a screen covered lid for those campgrounds or campsites we know do not have a fire ring. When we know we will be in one of these, we'll bring the fire pit. When not, we leave it at home.

Tool: It all fits comfortably into a medium size tool box. And other than a Philips and flat screw driver, a pair of plyers, a wire cutter, and my Robertson Head screw driver (the square head screw driver), and small set of socket wrenches, the other tools I carry are specific for the camper only. Like, the blow out plug for winterizing, and the weird aluminum socket for removing the electric heating coil in the water heater. A very few other miscellaneous hand tool I've actually used on the camper for one reason or another and that's it.

I have no intention of doing oil changes on my vehicle, repacking wheel bearings on the camper, or remodeling the interior either. In the event of problems along the "journey" I'll deal with that then. If it takes more than a screw driver, a pair of plyers, a tap with a hammer, or duct tape, the repair is too large and I probably can't and won't have the space or time to fix it myself anyway.

As far as leaf blowers an stuff like that, I see an advantage for bringing one along. Even an air compressor if you have bicycles or a golf cart is understandable. But in over 25 years of RV ownership, and a life time of being around RV's, I've never had to use an air compressor on any of my trailer or automobile tires when traveling. I have had tires replaced when traveling. But if they start loosing air, I'm not farting around with the tires, I'm getting new tires immediately! I quit dragging along the air compressor when the kids quit camping with us and the bicycles stayed home.

It takes time to slim down the items you actually use and end up removing the items you never use. Overkill is OK, if it works for you and you have the space. But here's my suggestion, if you are planning a long term trip, take several small ones first and keep track of those items you actually use, and seriously consider removing the items you don't use. You'll be surprised at how much "junk" you eventually leave behind.

You see this the most when you purchase your second trailer and you have to remove everything from the old one. You realize you've been dragging just around for years and never used it. Of course, if you actually use it, keep it.

I carry over 200 feet of garden hose. Sounds stupid I know. But I have use all 200 feet at least 4 times this last Summer. I carry a large amount of lumber for under the tires and jacks. I've used it all a couple times this last year on campsites that were tremendously not level. I carried an extra gallon of antifreeze for the truck because I had an engine repair earlier this year and after the repair the check coolant light kept coming on. I eventually used that entire gallon and then all of a sudden, the light quit coming one. I don't carry any extra with me any more.

We carry two quick shades, a shade for the picnic table, and a screened in tent to keep mosquitoes out. Sounds silly doesn't it. But, we've found occasion to use them all this last Summer, so they travel with us. However, the last two camps of this year, we did not use any of them. But they are still in the trailer.

We got rid of extra folding chairs and collapsible umbrella type chairs. We anticipated for years we might have guests sitting around the campfire with us. Well, the VERY few times that actually happened, our guests simply brought over their own chairs. So, we were dragging around 6 extra chairs that never got used. When we finally realized this, guess what ended up at the Goodwill store?

What I'm suggesting is, before hitting the road on your primary trip, you really should take a few week-end jaunts and chart what you REALLY need to bring along and what you can REALLY leave behind.

Having "stuff" does not make you a better camper and showing it off impresses no one. So we learned!!!! We were so "proud" of all our "junk", but eventually realized we were just fooling ourselves. No one cared.
Everyone has there deal, I still do all my own service to everything... as far as extra stuff the only thing I have never use is that out doors rug. Being we travel for the work I do there are items we buy that are disposable and give away or toss out before we go home to our house.

When we do just vacations we don’t have but half the stuff in the basement, when we’re gone on a job assignments I bring what ever the wife wants and I need to repair/replace/ service that one reason we bought this model, the carry capability.

2017 3160 RL