Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2020, 11:31 AM   #21
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
Yup that was the whole deal.

Only issue was they screwed up the alignment & burned my tires off in about 4000 miles. They sprung for new tires & I set the toe in myself.
That’s what I’m worried about. Dexter is send me new complete axles and I’m really hoping they track better !! I don’t want to align axles again as the first time they did it was better but still got tire wear. How do you align yourself..?

Tony

2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:33 AM   #22
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
I wasn't overly impressed by the one that did the work on my trailer.
Nor was I with my technician. Mine was a younger kid don't remember his name. But he was a great welder. Sergio seemed to be the one that new his stuff.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:36 AM   #23
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
That’s what I’m worried about. Dexter is send me new complete axles and I’m really hoping they track better !! I don’t want to align axles again as the first time they did it was better but still got tire wear. How do you align yourself..?

Tony
You cannot align straight axles yourself unless you have equipment to bend the tubes. What he was talking about is aligning the independent suspension which is easily done by loosening bolts and moving things around or adding shims.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:54 AM   #24
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
I jacked it up & with the wheels off clamped angle iron on the rotors to measure from. The IS is adjustable, by loosening some bolts.
If your alignment is off with axles besides moving the spring hanger you might need to bend the axles, if it's a toe or camber issue.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:39 PM   #25
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
My 7K in May of 2019 was 6,757.49
It was my understanding that there are only 2 or 3 locations that do this conversion. Did this figure include travel to, during, and return home costs?
Old 10-21-2020, 07:49 PM   #26
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I'm sure his cost to get to and from there is not included in that number just like mine. I Incorporated mine into a 3 week long trip starting at Mor ryde.

And as far as I know there are only two places in the country you can have it done the main Mor ryde plant in Elkhart Indiana and there's one in Oregon somewhere
Old 10-21-2020, 07:53 PM   #27
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
No I didn't include travel, we just made a camping trip out of it.
Elkhart Indiana & Bend Oregon, I think that the only 2 places, but heard the Oregon place wasn't as good. You have to reserve a spot & the list is long, we could have went in Dec. of 18, but I wasn't going to do that so it ended up May of 19.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:32 PM   #28
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
This is the guy to talk to at Elkhart. brian.hosinski@morryde.com
Old 10-22-2020, 07:35 AM   #29
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Nothing really wrong with Dexter OEM setup or Lippert provided the owner is proactive and actually does the routine maintenance required. Most don't grease their wet bolts and do good visual inspection of hangers, etc ... not to mention actually removing hubs and inspecting brakes and bearings and such ..

And lack of setting up the RV and tow vehicle prior to backing into a spot also puts a huge side shear on suspension parts
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:54 AM   #30
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Nothing really wrong with Dexter OEM setup or Lippert provided the owner is proactive and actually does the routine maintenance required. Most don't grease their wet bolts and do good visual inspection of hangers, etc ... not to mention actually removing hubs and inspecting brakes and bearings and such ..

And lack of setting up the RV and tow vehicle prior to backing into a spot also puts a huge side shear on suspension parts
The vast majority of trailers out there did not come from the factory with wet bolts installed. Without them there is no real maintenance to be done to the suspension other than checking the torque on U bolts or spring bolts.
I installed wet bolts on every trailer I've ever owned shortly after its purchase and every single time the cheap white plastic bushings are completely destroyed leaving every joint metal to metal with no lubrication whatsoever.
IMHO the stock suspensions are a ticking time bomb waiting for something catastrophic to happen.

I agree visual inspections are a must I always do that at every stop but that's only going to tell you so much
Old 10-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #31
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
The vast majority of trailers out there did not come from the factory with wet bolts installed. Without them there is no real maintenance to be done to the suspension other than checking the torque on U bolts or spring bolts.
I installed wet bolts on every trailer I've ever owned shortly after its purchase and every single time the cheap white plastic bushings are completely destroyed leaving every joint metal to metal with no lubrication whatsoever.
IMHO the stock suspensions are a ticking time bomb waiting for something catastrophic to happen.

I agree visual inspections are a must I always do that at every stop but that's only going to tell you so much
I can't disagree , but I read more problems than any are the spring hangers . Its a simple fix, with minimal welding ,and materials . I would be more then happy to email pictures to anyone what I have done to mine. I boxed in the spring hangers ,and added a bit more then what the factory does above it on the frame gusset. Easy ,and cheap. I have towed fifth wheels for a number of years ,and IMO , some added bracing ,X-factor style etc ,will end most suspension problems. Leaf spring suspension has been around for a long time .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:42 AM   #32
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I can't disagree , but I read more problems than any are the spring hangers . Its a simple fix, with minimal welding ,and materials . I would be more then happy to email pictures to anyone what I have done to mine. I boxed in the spring hangers ,and added a bit more then what the factory does above it on the frame gusset. Easy ,and cheap. I have towed fifth wheels for a number of years ,and IMO , some added bracing ,X-factor style etc ,will end most suspension problems. Leaf spring suspension has been around for a long time .
I have also done that to some previous units X Factor's cross braces between the hangers Etc but I didn't have problems with that kind of stuff my issues we're more with broken spring bolts or missing spring bolts worn out bushings excetera.
Think about the suspension in today's cars compared to the 60s and 70s. Not that I would do it but I could go around some pretty sharp off ramps in my Honda Accord at 80 miles an hour. Try that in a 68 Chevelle.
My whole point is suspensions in today's cars have been vastly improved over the years. The suspension in RVs has been the same forever with slight improvements such as wet bolts and some Center hanger improvements.
Most people could care less about their suspension they just get in and drive. They care more about the glitzy things like in command Bluetooth LED lights etc.
Don't get me wrong all that stuff is great but it's not going to stop you from camping in most cases if something goes wrong. But if you break a suspension part or blow a tire that's likely to ruin your trip in a hurry
Old 10-25-2020, 01:47 PM   #33
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Lots of good points for IS and standard suspension. But most of us look at our own situation and think everyone else should do the same. We had standard suspension and brakes on all three of our Montana’s. Over the 17 years we’ve been in Montana’s, we broke two springs - one in Alaska. We got IS and disc brakes added in 2018 and love them. I know at least one bad driver that is alive today because of the disk brakes. Living in the mountains of Colorado, we do a lot of boondocking in rough areas. Plus, our driveway required a very tough back in on a 22% grade. For us, IS and disc brakes have yielded much better tire wear, better suspension in severe duty and peace of mind. If you haven’t seen the mass of an IS/Disc Brake setup next to the standard axle, it is impressive. But, you have to get in the schedule and it is expensive. Make the decision that fits you.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:30 PM   #34
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
I broke a rear spring on a recent trip. The original spring lasted 90,000 miles. Did a temporary repair with 3,000 lb springs to finish the trip. Just got the Monty back from the shop with new LRE 4000 shear springs and four new 3,500 lb springs. The 3,500 lb springs have one more leaf than the 3,000 lb springs. That raised the back of the coach a little to make it run less high in the front.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:09 PM   #35
a285726
Established Member

M.O.C. #22383
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
Can you semd me photos
a285726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:21 PM   #36
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by a285726 View Post
Can you semd me photos
I can, I sent you a PM.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:36 PM   #37
Razahoryin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18958
Ok so I had a broken spring recently
Did the work myself
Upgraded the springs by 1 leaf since they were all flat with no arc left

Anyway self help cost was about $500 including new bushings
I already have more ride heavy duty shakels with wet bolts..

Depends on your ability
But with 1 broken I would replace all 4
To avoid another failure on the next trip

Cheers
Razahoryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:40 PM   #38
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
I accidentally left hand sanitizer on the counter end of the day driving it was still there. I laughed the wife laughed, it was a good day.. oh all stock suspension.
I was driving down a dirt road, stopped, looked inside and had 12 red solo cups upright on the kitchen counter. Funny thing is, I don't remember putting them there! 🤭
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:56 PM   #39
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
Here's a thought, why not make the MorRyde IS an option when you order the trailer from your dealer and save some money. Like so many of you, I paid for the OEM axles, shackles, leaf springs and drum brakes, only to have them thrown away when I had the IS with disc installed by MorRyde. It's completely redundant.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:29 AM   #40
a285726
Established Member

M.O.C. #22383
yes , A285726@gmail.com
a285726 is offline   Reply With Quote