Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2007, 03:55 AM   #1
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Water Pump Problem

Our water pump has developed a strange problem and wondered if it has happen to anyone else and what was the fix. The pump does what it is supposed to do when first turned on, but when you turn it off it continues to sort of run. This is not the pump trying to pressurize the line, but a very quiet running sound, like the circuit is just barely on--it doesn't pump but makes a continious sound. We turn off the pump and the noise stops and we can then turn it back in without any noise. Then the next time you turn it on, it is the same thing all over again. We are currently dry camping at the Indy 500 and need it. Just afraid we'll forget to turn it off and it may overheat. Any suggestions other than to replace the pump? Thanks for any replies.

mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Is it the pump that comes with the unit from the factory and if so I would get rid of it and get a SMART-SENSOR. I think you would be happier with the better pump. The ones that Keystone installs are NOT high dollar pumps.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:58 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
If there is air in the lines the pump will do that. You might try opening all the faucets so that water comes out freely, plus holding the toilet flush open. Often times this will clear up the problem. You shouldn't need a new pump, but I'm sure you'd like the new Smart Sensor pump.

Incidentally, all the RV manufacturers use the same OEM pump from Shur-Flo. They are the industry standard.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:31 PM   #4
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Definately no air in the lines and it is a Smart Sensor pump we got from CampingWorld. Will have some time to fiddle with it next weeks. Again thanks for the info.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mobilrvn

Definately no air in the lines and it is a Smart Sensor pump we got from CampingWorld. Will have some time to fiddle with it next weeks. Again thanks for the info.
Since you have mentioned you have the Smart Sensor pump, on the end where the water connections are, right in the middle of that end is a "phillips head" screw that is an adjustment. What I did when my pump did that was adjust it CCW until the motor stopped running with no water faucets open. I had to do it a couple times. First, I started by making sure the pump was running and providing water out of a faucet. Then turned the faucet off and when the pump didn't shut off, I adjusted the screw about one half to one turn. You'll be able to tell.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:27 AM   #6
monizrem

M.O.C. #7223
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum. Only had our Montana 6 months. Love it except for the water pump problem, similar to yours, although it does turn off by itself after about 30 seconds to a minute. I too bled all of the lines. Later went back to bleed the washing machine line, which improved the situation somewhat. I'm still disappointed, because I've owned two other RV trailers before this and the water pump was always very efficient. My local RV Maintenance advisor suggests adding a small "accumulator" tank to the line, but after reading your postings, I'm wondering if I should replace the pump instead. Your advice please!
Thanks,
Ron
monizrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, the pump shouldn't do that and you should not have to add an accumulator tank to solve it. The accumulator has a purpose all its own, a good one, but you should not have the problem in the first place. Yours is still in warranty. I'd suggest to your dealer there is a problem with the pump and he needs to take care of it under warranty. Don't let him put a bandaid on it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:10 PM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Definitely get it replaced. I put in a new smart sensor that wouldn't shut off...continued to draw power very slow - I thought it was going to burn up it got so hot. I sent it back and they found it had a bad controller board. Now it works great after being replaced twice...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:27 AM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Camping World (and other places I presume) sell a pump quietening kit that essentially turns your existing stock pump into a smart sensor for a lot less money than replacing the pump with a new smart sensor pump. I was a bit skeptical when we bought it, but we put it on ours and were quite amazed at the difference in noise level. The kit costs about $70 vs about $170 for a new SS pump.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote