Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2020, 09:06 AM   #81
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirvin0500 View Post
My DW and I are preparing to retire in the next couple of years. We will be refreshing our current truck with a new one the first of Nov. We've decided on the 373RD or the 3791RD. If we were to buy an F250, would we absolutely have to buy a diesel? Have been looking at the new 7.3 L gasser with a 4.30 gearbox. It looks to be good. We had a diesel before and didn't like it as well as a gas model. Any suggestions are very welcome.
I have owned two Ford Diesels since 2011. The first was an f350. the second is a F250. I would still own the f30 if we didn't trade the truck and camper for a mortor-home. That was a big mistake for us. WE went back to a fifth wheel after the motorhome. I love the diesel. What a great truck. I would never go back to a gas engine pulling a fifth wheel. The ease of the diesel pulling in the mountains and the tow haul option gives you safety coming done the steep grades using the transmission to brake the truck instead of using the brakes. I put extra leaf springs on the rear to give the truck more stability. Anyway that's my two cents worth. You will love the diesel GM and Ford make a great truck.

Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:25 PM   #82
David Leak
Established Member

M.O.C. #13420
The next time you are out riding around take a look at all the places you’re going to buy gas or fuel for your new truck. The filling stations that sell gas are mostly all designed for small cars and trucks with no 40’+ trailers Following them. Nearly all The places to buy diesel are set up for big trucks and big trucks with large trailers (18 wheelers). Just another thought to ponder before buying a gasser, either way you always have to plan your trips around the fueling experience.
David Leak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:02 AM   #83
MikeRP
Established Member

M.O.C. #22500
I don’t think you will have a problem towing the trailer you’ve selected but you will need a 3500 w the low gears and you can expect to get 7-8 mpg. So fuel capacity will be an issue.

I would get an extra fuel tank so that you can stop at like rest stops and fuel up. And then once at your camping spot for the day. Go out and fuel up at a nearby gas station.

But I think you will have plenty of power. The new gassers perform very well and are powerful. They are quieter spinning at 4000 rpm and will run at that rpm for years. The extra $ you will pay for a diesel and extra maintenance will take years to recover plus I think you can get a lifetime warranty on the gassers, means you will never make up the cost by having a higher mpg diesel. Plus heck gas has been a buck a gallon less.

Plus you will have payload over 4000 lbs, that will handle that unit plus w that unit you can work on lowering the pin weight.

I have a diesel and my brother has the 6.4 hemi exact same truck otherwise. I’m not sure I made the right decision especially with the new Ram 8 speed tranny.
Now that I have and paid for the C, I will stay diesel but I think of getting a gassed all the time when I spend $300 for an oil changes and changing the two fuel filters.

Good Luck!
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:16 AM   #84
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Leak View Post
The next time you are out riding around take a look at all the places you’re going to buy gas or fuel for your new truck. The filling stations that sell gas are mostly all designed for small cars and trucks with no 40’+ trailers Following them. Nearly all The places to buy diesel are set up for big trucks and big trucks with large trailers (18 wheelers). Just another thought to ponder before buying a gasser, either way you always have to plan your trips around the fueling experience.
I pull a 34'er and I whip right in to those stations. i I have only got into a tight spot once and i still made it out without hitting anything. I absolutely hate truck stops. Fuel is expensive and trucks take a long time to fuel. Some places have a rv line but not all.

As for towing with a diesel depends on how much towing you do. If you spend 3 months a year traveling than a diesel is the only way to go. If you just go camping most likely you will go to the same place and is close to home than gas is the truck for you. Serenely the cost of a diesel is higher but RVing is not about money. Save a buck here or there may sound like a good thing and it may be but people have no problem dropping $80,000 on something they only use 3 months of the year.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:56 PM   #85
KevinNW

M.O.C. #22601
I had a Chevy 8.1 lt gas, had a hard time pulling our 3790 and got 7-8 per gal. F350 sw, diesel 12 miles per gal, power galore.
KevinNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:20 PM   #86
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Towing a trailer with any serious weight, the only sensible decision is a diesel......they just can't be beat.
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:58 AM   #87
Jritz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25583
I thought the same thing when I first started pulling a camper. I was not going to buy a diesel because I didn’t want all the stuff that goes with it. I started out with a f150 and it pulled the 31’ camp just ok. I then went to a gas F 250. It pull that camper just fine but I got only 8 mpg. It was loud when pulling hills. I finally gave in and bought a diesel f250 and loved it. No comparison. I went to a 5er and then bought a 2019 F350 and wouldn’t change it. I have a 3855 br and it pulls the camper with no problems.
I will not be honing back to a gasser. Hope this helps.
Jritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:58 PM   #88
ReefBum

M.O.C. #26491
I'm on the other side of this fence. We had 2017 F350 DRW diesel and when I went to purchase the new truck a few months ago we went gas with 2020 F250 7.3 gasser 4.30 gears. Ford specs give 18k for 5th wheel towing and 3429 payload rating. We pull a 3761FL Montana and millage is around 8-9mpg, while this is a bit lower than the diesel(11), I prefer the gasser. Also have had no issues with the mountains and am happy with the switch thus far.
ReefBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:27 PM   #89
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefBum View Post
I'm on the other side of this fence. We had 2017 F350 DRW diesel and when I went to purchase the new truck a few months ago we went gas with 2020 F250 7.3 gasser 4.30 gears. Ford specs give 18k for 5th wheel towing and 3429 payload rating. We pull a 3761FL Montana and millage is around 8-9mpg, while this is a bit lower than the diesel(11), I prefer the gasser. Also have had no issues with the mountains and am happy with the switch thus far.
Glad you are enjoying the new ride. Out of curiosity, what is the gvwr on the door jam sticker?
Old 06-18-2020, 05:35 PM   #90
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
And there you go. A gasser will do the job and some people prefer them and are happy with them.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:44 PM   #91
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The new gasoline engines aren’t what they used to be. The new 7.3 Ford has 430 HP and 475 TK. This is what diesels had just a few years ago. This isn’t what the diesels have and they don’t get the fuel mileage the diesels get but it takes a lot of extra fuel to make up the difference.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:59 PM   #92
ReefBum

M.O.C. #26491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Glad you are enjoying the new ride. Out of curiosity, what is the gvwr on the door jam sticker?

Sticker GVWR = 10,000
Sticker GCWR = 26,000
Sticker Payload = 3429
ReefBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:10 PM   #93
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
I have a gasser too, towed Montana HC 15,000 miles including mountains. Diesel tows more easily particularly in mountains. My gasser averages 9 - 9.5 while towing, very inexpensive maintenance.
New 7.3 should tow better than my 6.2, but not enough to justify expense of trading up.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:07 PM   #94
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Just remember with a gas truck, you are pulling 35-40' of trailer behind you. You cannot use the diesel pumps at the big truck stops. You must use the island pumps out front. Very difficult to find a gas station you can fit through.
We experienced this with a 36' uhaul towing a car on a dolly. We had to stop on the interstate and look at Google maps, satellite view to estimate if we could fit into the next exit gas station. Nope, move on to the next exit. Rinse repeat...
Very stressful.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:29 PM   #95
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
Totally agree that buying gas is VERY stressful. I have many stressful stories. I complained to Pilot/Flying j and they responded saying they didn't know of my problem and would look into it.

I have heard of diesel complaints, but not nearly as many. Diesel owners can add tanks in their truck bed.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:06 PM   #96
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Wow if you want a thread to take off all ya gotta ask is "what kind of truck should I tow my camper with" LOL...…

But lets be honest it is one of the most important and possibly confusing questions most new RV owners have!! It is important to debate the issue honestly. Its an expensive fix if you get it wrong.

Having towed with both gas and diesel hands down I am in the diesel camp. Being an Oilfield hand with country boy roots I pay little attention to the diesel smell or rougher ride. And to be honest, I sorta look down on wimps that have an issue with either. Buck up sister we aren't towing a pop up with a Volkswagen!! That may sound ugly but lets face it we are towing massive trailers. You gotta go big or not go.

The diesel engine brake alone is worth the price difference, never mind the torque. Any way you slice it diesel is simply better.

And you have to buy the truck capable of doing the MAXIMUM tow job you will be doing period! It doesn't matter if you don't like driving a dually as a daily driver. If your going to hook up to something even once a year that needs that much truck then that's what you should be buying! If you don't want to buy that big of a truck then look for a smaller camper, its that simple.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:15 PM   #97
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
Diesels are great, no doubt about it. Before I purchased. I consulted 3 diesel experts who have shops. All 3 recommended gas for part time towing.
If money is no object, go F-450, Planinum, diesel, every option.
If you know what you're doing, gas works great.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:04 PM   #98
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Sticker GVWR = 10,000
Sticker GCWR = 26,000
Sticker Payload = 3429
That trailer is one of my favorite floor plans.

Just for peace of mind I would weigh the truck with hitch and full of fuel. Add x amount for people. Then weigh at least the trailer pin weight loaded as it would be for travel. That payload figure isn't necessarily how much weight can be loaded on the truck. I suspect by using the info provided the truck may be overloaded. Searching the forum will reveal plenty about this subject. Some don't care about being overloaded but it is important to know if nothing else where you (everyone) stand.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:17 PM   #99
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Something gas people don’t consider. When selling, alot of that money spent on the diesel is recouped.. paid 38 for a new 03 cummins/.. sold it in 2015 for 33000!..We have the auto level. So when the truck squats, The air bags
are pumped up to bring to the ride height.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:47 PM   #100
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
FWIW. Article I just read says a new diesel pickup should be worth 54.9 percent of it's original price in 5 years.