Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2020, 08:05 PM   #1
Dirvin0500

M.O.C. #26285
Is a F250 Diesel Necessary?

My DW and I are preparing to retire in the next couple of years. We will be refreshing our current truck with a new one the first of Nov. We've decided on the 373RD or the 3791RD. If we were to buy an F250, would we absolutely have to buy a diesel? Have been looking at the new 7.3 L gasser with a 4.30 gearbox. It looks to be good. We had a diesel before and didn't like it as well as a gas model. Any suggestions are very welcome.

Dirvin0500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:33 PM   #2
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirvin0500 View Post
My DW and I are preparing to retire in the next couple of years. We will be refreshing our current truck with a new one the first of Nov. We've decided on the 373RD or the 3791RD. If we were to buy an F250, would we absolutely have to buy a diesel? Have been looking at the new 7.3 L gasser with a 4.30 gearbox. It looks to be good. We had a diesel before and didn't like it as well as a gas model. Any suggestions are very welcome.
What didn’t you like about the diesel?
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:46 PM   #3
Sdgood1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23720
Personal choice! I think that’s why they’re bringing out the big gasser. Not everybody likes dealing with the diesel! IMHO

Steven & Denise
New to us 2014 3150RL
Chino Valley, AZ
Sdgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:23 PM   #4
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Maybe a little more insight into why the OP didn't like diesel, may help us answer the question better.

I'm a card carrying diesel fanatic, and at one point, every thing that we owned at our house with a engine was diesel powered, except our powerwasher, so take what I have to say knowing that.

The biggest difference between gas and diesel is the way that they make power. Diesels make power almost effortlessly, and the new Ford and Chevy's with the 10 speed, take that to a whole new level. Our 2020 Chevy, towing 15K# never even sounds like it's straining to do any work, even when accelerating. Hook our same 5er onto a gasser, and expect to spend a fair amount of time at 4000 RPM's while accelerating with the motor just wound up to make the necessary power. And be turning a higher RPM's on the highway at cruising speed, which equals more sound.

I don't know this for a fact, but I think it's fair to assume that the new diesels are a lot better about staying in gear when pulling than the gassers, and that's got to do with the insane amount of torque that they make. The Ford diesel is more than 2X the torque of the gasser. Torque is what pulls you up a hill, or helps you stay in a gear. We drop our Chevy in 10th gear, and let the transmission figure out what gear it wants to be in. It very seldom shifts down out of 10th, and when it does, it does it very gradually, which is a benefit of having a 10 speed trans, which the gasser would have as well. But, I would expect the gasser to downshift sooner, and ultimately more often, than a diesel would, hill for hill.

I have not ridden in a new Ford gasser, but I can absolutely guarantee you that it is louder, a LOT louder, when it's making power, and if that truck is equipped with a 4.30 rearend, it's going to be even louder, and be more wound up all the time, even when rolling down the highway at speed.

This may not make a difference to the OP, but prepare for frequent stops at the gas station with a gasser, loaded or unloaded. The new diesels can easily get 15+, and higher if you're easy on them. A gasser will never get that, especially with a low rear end.

At the end of the day, maybe some of the things that you didn't like about your last diesel have been corrected. The new diesels have a lot to offer, IMHO...
Old 05-20-2020, 12:55 AM   #5
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Are you going to be traveling in the mountains or staying on flat to gently rolling hills. Also are you going to be just weekenders or planning on long trips such as 500 miles or longer. The gas engines just don't have the torque you need for the mountains. I really wish i could get by with a gas engine as the diesels cost a whole lot more and cost more to keep on the road compared to gas but you probably would be struggling with a gas engine as the rv's are very heavy. Just remember the old saying ' horsepower sells but torque moves'.You won't have even half the torque in a gas engine compared to a diesel.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:20 AM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
While I prefer diesel, I don't necessarily think you must have one. However, if you are looking at a 3791RD, which is what I have, you are not going to want to go with an F250. The weight of a 3791RD is too much for an F250. At that size and weight you are firmly in the one ton, F350, range and possibly in a dually which only comes in F350 and above. You will only know based on the loaded weight and pin weight of the rig you choose. I'm not too familiar with the new 7.3 Gas models, but all things being equal, the truck would need much more payload than an F250 has to handle these larger models.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:54 AM   #7
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
Strictly a personal preference.
The diesel will get you up the mountains a heck of a lot easier than a gasser.
I tow our 330RL with the F250 6.7 Powerstroke. It is my personal preference of a tow vehicle, and quite frankly, I wouldn't have anything else. It does the job quite well!
I have had a few gassers, and the convenience of the availability of gasoline makes them an attractive option, but anymore , diesel is just as readily available. I personally like the diesel for the performance. Yes, the maintenance is higher, but the trade off, to me, is worth it.
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:27 AM   #8
Skw774
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20974
i have towed with both, i will never go back to gas to tow. other than all the emission crap these new diesel's are great

2023 GMC 2500 HD AT4
2018 High Country 340BH
Skw774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:14 AM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think it depends on how much you are going to be pulling your camper. If you aren’t going to be pulling over a hundred miles from home the gas truck will work just fine. If you plan on traveling very much get the diesel and either way make it a F350.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:42 AM   #10
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
... Just remember the old saying ' horsepower sells but torque moves'.You won't have even half the torque in a gas engine compared to a diesel.
I've always heard, "horsepower gets there you fast, but torque does the work".

A lot of of times, the gasser will have more HP, than diesel, but lose the torque number. With that being said, the 7.3 gasser doesn't win on either count!

7.3L Gas: 430 HP @ 5,500 RPMs and 475 lb-ft torque @ 4,000 RPM
6.7L Diesel: 4750 HP @ 2,600 RPMs and 1050 lb-ft torque @ 1,600 RPM

Like I was saying in my previous post, the gasser has to be wound up to 4,000+ RPMs to actually do anything...
Old 05-20-2020, 07:33 AM   #11
Dirvin0500

M.O.C. #26285
Thanks to all for your comments. Sorry it took so long to get back. Granted, our diesel was a 2005 F250, but the reasons we didn't like it had nothing to do with performance. Our issues were it was noisy, always smelled of diesel (duh), and was costly to maintain. For instance, an oil change (which included fuel filters) cost $140 vs. $30 for a gasser, two batteries to maintain and replace, etc. I completely understand torque/power. We plan to ful, time/part time. We will probably be gone 2-3 months at a time and travel from Alabama (where we live) across the country. It sounds like we really need a diesel even for the 373RD. From what I've read lately, the main difference between a F250 and a F350 (not talking dually) is the F350 has a beefier rear suspension.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:45 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have pulled pretty much the same RV a 06 3400 and a 13 3402 Montana all over the country with a F-350,CC,LB dually both gas and diesel . We pulled with the gasser just once and upon return got the diesel... end of story
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:58 AM   #13
Dirvin0500

M.O.C. #26285
The DW absolutely doesn't want a dually. If the consensus is that is what we'd require, I might have to look at another model or brand.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:03 AM   #14
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
If a weekend camper, gas is fine. If you are going to do a lot of traveling, go diesel. We have towed with both, and the diesel is the only choice for us.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:11 AM   #15
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
... Our issues were it was noisy, always smelled of diesel (duh), and was costly to maintain. For instance, an oil change (which included fuel filters) cost $140 vs. $30 for a gasser, two batteries to maintain and replace, etc. I completely understand torque/power. ....
Good to hear that these are some of your issues with diesel.
1) New diesels are no longer noisy. While probably louder than a gasser, they are not obnoxious like they were in the past. My wife and I were just commenting the other day that we went thru the drive through and ordered wiThout shutting off the truck. We and they could hear just fine. NOISE GONE ON NEW DIESELS!!!
2) The ONLY time that you will smell diesel on these new trucks is when you fuel them. They do NOT smoke. I've heard it said, that the air coming out of the tailpipe on a new diesel is cleaner than the air going in. Don't know about that, but there is NO smell out of the tailpipe for sure. THE DIESEL SMELL AND SMOKE IS GONE WITH THE NEW DIESELS
3) You are correct about maintenance, and things like the batteries. However, all of that is made up for in the towing experience. There's a reason that over the road trucks don't have gas motors...
Old 05-20-2020, 08:19 AM   #16
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
The DW absolutely doesn't want a dually. If the consensus is that is what we'd require, I might have to look at another model or brand.
I totally get this, and I'm in the same boat with my wife. This won't be a popular opinion here, but you might be able to get by with a 3500 SRW truck. We have a 3741FK, about the same pin weight, and can stay under the payload, especially with the rear slide out tray. We keep everything back there, which unloads the pin to a certain extent. HOWEVER, we are not full timers, and we don't have the need to have "stuff" in our front basement. I'm sure that would be different if we were full timing, with all of the extra stuff that we would have to carry along with us.

The unfortunate thing for you is that you don't know what pin weight is going to be on your fully loaded rig, because you don't have it yet.

I think that you're going to have a hard time staying inside the bounds on a 3500 SRW if you're full timing. As for the dually comment, you mention getting another brand, was that truck or 5er? Another brand in that length is going to be about the same weight, and the duallys all look about the same as far as stance.

Good luck with your journey!!
Old 05-20-2020, 08:32 AM   #17
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Us diesel owners tend to tell you that you will never be happy with anything but a diesel. But of course, there are many towing with gassers and are perfectly happy. Yes, the gasser will run at higher rpms especially climbing grades. And will not get you to the top of the mountain pass as fast. And may downshift more on rolling highways. But that is something gas owners accept. I think the diesel will be more enjoyable on long highway trips where it will cruise at 70 mph and about 1,800 rpm, rarely downshifting. And will pull mountain passes with relative ease.

I had a 2004 F250 6.0 diesel and a 2007 F350 6.0 diesel. And now a 2012 F350 6.7 diesel. I can tell you from experience that the noise of the 6.7 is much much less than the 6.0, almost to the point you really don't hear it. And with all the new emissions controls there is virtually no odor. So don't let those two issues bother you. Test drive one and see for yourself. The higher maintenance cost of oil changes and fuel filter changes is something we accept.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #18
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Welcome aboard and thanks for even asking. The bottom line issue is safety. I doubt there's any way the F250 will be enough truck. You will be at an F350 at a minimum but you will really need to look at the real numbers. If I were pulling a rig that size I'd want a dually. My wife and I bought the size of 5er that we have in order to stay out of dually territory.

Oh, and diesel all the way. We had a gasser many years ago...diesel ever since. We had a 2000 F250 diesel for years pulling our older 5er. Yes, it's noisy. Our 2012 RAM is significantly quieter. We still comment on how we can easily have a conversation without yelling. Newer diesels are even quieter. Go diesel...you'll be happier on the road, especially with that kind of weight.

Good luck in the search and process.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:36 AM   #19
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
... The higher maintenance cost of oil changes and fuel filter changes is something we accept.
A lot of the newer gas engines are running synthetic now, and that jacks the cost of oil changes up, and probably gets them in the range of diesel changes. I don't know for sure what the new 7.3L specs out for oil changes.

There will be more frequent fuel filter changes with a diesel, than a gas, though...
Old 05-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #20
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
............If we were to buy an F250, would we absolutely have to buy a diesel?.............
My 2 cents for a diesel vs. gasoline engine:

1. Exhaust brake to reduce the load on your transmission
2. More torque for towing uphill
3. Better fuel mileage
4. Longer life
5. Tows more weight
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote