Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Polls
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2019, 01:12 PM   #21
KevinW

M.O.C. #24257
I'm in Tx and got the non cdl class A license and had to parallel park truck and trailer. The DMV by my house was very clear that I had to have a licensed driver bring the rig to the dmv for the test. I enrolled into a class A driving school for $150. They provide a vehicle for the test and with the videos/ materials they give made the written part easy also. Plus they allow you to practice parallel parking with their rig.

KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 01:17 PM   #22
Nat_Park_Travelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21914
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
I'm in Tx and got the non cdl class A license and had to parallel park truck and trailer. The DMV by my house was very clear that I had to have a licensed driver bring the rig to the dmv for the test. I enrolled into a class A driving school for $150. They provide a vehicle for the test and with the videos/ materials they give made the written part easy also. Plus they allow you to practice parallel parking with their rig.
In PA you don't need to take a written test for the non-commercial Class A. I'm under the limits here so I did not upgrade my license. Yes I was told you had to have somebody with the same class license as you to bring you to the driving
test.
Nat_Park_Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #23
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
As others have said, it all depends on your State. I checked with MS when we bought last year. While they require Class A for our GCWR, RVs are exempt. So, we kept our Class C licenses and we both drive.

Personally, I'm fine with it either way. I think I could take our rig down to DMV and get a valid Class A CDL license. So, it's strange I'm not required to have one to drive it.
2017 Montana 3731FL
davemitchell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #24
bigfrank
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12319
Keeping cdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennTom View Post
I am with you. TN does not require one, yet, but I prefer to renew my CDL than to reapply if the law changes.
I retired 8yrs ago and just renewed my cdl in ga for 8 yrs again just so I will not have any hassles in the future
bigfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:11 PM   #25
saber707
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17531
Class C works fine in 99.9% of cases.
saber707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:17 PM   #26
Coronabob
Established Member

M.O.C. #9515
California requires a non commercial class a, if the towed vehicle weighs over 15,000 lbs. i did mine about 4 years go. Needed someone to take you in. Had to do written, pre trip, drive test. I used a commercial school. Theyhepled with backing skills etc. $100 well spent and they had a driver go with me to get it there.
Old 12-22-2019, 09:53 PM   #27
Otto02
Established Member

M.O.C. #18236
California, of course, requires a non commercial class A if the GVWR of the trailer is over 15,000. Written test and then a full CDL driving test. They have a separate RV test. I love the parallel parking of our 42 ft. Montana.
Otto02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:25 PM   #28
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
California Requirements

California has had the RV requirement out for some time. If the RV is 10,000 lbs to 14999 lbs GVW ( look on left side of your RV for the info label). you have to have a endorsement on your license. You will Just have to take the written test. When you go down to take the written test you take your regular test and if you have motorcycle endorsement you will take that test also. If your label reads that the trailer is 15000 lbs and above you will have to have a Non Commercial Class A license. I studied for all 3 tests and went down and took the written test for my regular license, my motorcycle endorsement and the RV test. I passed that and they also did my eye test. They gave me a permit to tow my 5th wheel but I had to have a another person with a Non Commercial License or Class A License with me. I made a appointment to take the drivers test and the inspection test. When I went down to take my test I had a buddy with me that had the Non Commercial License. You have to show the inspector that you know all of the things you check on the truck and the trailer. When that is done then we went to take the drivers test. They had me back up in a straight line, next I had to back up straight and then guide it in the next lane to the left. and then back it in to a space like you are going to camp in that space. After that we went and drove all over town for about 30 minutes. I am sure all DMV offices are different. It is in the RV book you can get at a DMV office. I was going to skip this until I heard about a guy that got stopped and when he did not have the proper license he was told he would have to park his rig until he got the right license. Can you imagine getting stopped and have to park your rig,

Jim Bonhote, 2014 3582 RL, 2015 Ford F350 Platinum
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:37 AM   #29
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Kansas requires a non-commercial class A if your trailer GVWR is over 10K, or the combined GVWR weigh of truck and trailer is greater than 26000 pounds. When I went to get mine upgraded from a C to Non-commercial A, I was not asked who brought the rig over - examiner probably didn't want to know .

That said, I had to take a written exam and then a very thorough driving test (backing, 90 degree parking, parallel parking, driving in residential area, driving in highway with lane changes, etc.) When I got back the examiner told me I had to go to Junction City KS to get my actual license -- asked why and was told that Junction City was where they issued CDLs. Huh - I told the examiner I was only there for the non-commercial A. Ended up that I had just passed the CDL driving test. Regardless, now legal with a non-commercial A license. BTW - KS also has an air brake endorsement that applies to those driving vehicles with air brakes.

Sorry for being so long winded but one last thing - when I was researching this stuff I asked three different dealer's sales people about the license requirements - specifically while looking at some toy haulers with GVWRs of 20K and each told me that nothing other than a normal drivers license is required. Bottom line - research, research and research. The answer you get the first time MAY be incorrect.

Wishing all safe travels and the best of the Holidays to you all.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:41 AM   #30
Randy E
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21626
What Class Driver License do you have

Class A CDL for me in Pennsylvania. I kept it after many years of over the road tractor trailer driving. No need in canceling it.
Randy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 02:18 PM   #31
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
No plans to take the test, but curious. What does the driving test consist of? Do you have to parallel park it?
Per the instructions on line, I was supposed to have backed up a required distance in between cones without hitting them or points would be deducted. Not so in this case I had to backup about a 100' along a curb without hitting it and maintain about a 1' from the curb while backing.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:34 AM   #32
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
So …. what are the rules if you are properly licensed in your home state with no requirement for a special license or indorsement, but are traveling in a state that does require a special license or indorsement?
jpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #33
Nat_Park_Travelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21914
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwhite View Post
So …. what are the rules if you are properly licensed in your home state with no requirement for a special license or indorsement, but are traveling in a state that does require a special license or indorsement?
As I understand it, unless something has changed since I drove an 18-wheeler (that was years ago), they are supposed to go by the regulations in your state of residence.
Nat_Park_Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 01:28 PM   #34
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwhite View Post
Agreement between states. Drivers license respriocity.
https://www.quora.com/How-did-we-get...ivers-licenses
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 02:44 PM   #35
bigfrank
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12319
Smile drivers license

answer to jjwhite I have a class A cdl from Ga. with three endorsements I retired from commercial driving that is why I still have this license do not need it in Ga.to pull my Rv hope this answered your question
bigfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #36
RV6A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19552
Class A
8500' MSL in Pine, Colorado
RV6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:51 PM   #37
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Had a cdl with tanker and air brake endorsement for many years. The federal government sets the standards I presume because they control interstate commerce, so it's the same in every state. The "C" however stands for commercial which and RV is not. It's just too bad the states can't get together and standardize licensing for RV's. That would eliminate all the confusion.

BTW I let my cdl go the last time it was up for renewal partly do to the cost but also it gave me an out when someone wanted me to drive for them. I take my retirement seriously.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:01 PM   #38
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
To CDL or not to CDL......that is the question.

I live in PA. This past spring I went through this issue and caused myself a lot of worry about it. I drive a 2016 F350 with a 'registered' GVWR of 11,000 (Ford rated this truck for 11,500). My Monty weighs 12,040 empty but is 'registered' at 17,000 (Keystone rated it for 16,700). 11k + 17k + 28K.

Now, with that in mind I obtained study guides and got my CDL learners permit. After studying the manuals and watching a million videos I scheduled a CDL NON commercial class A test. I enlisted a friend's help (he has a CDL) to go with me since I could drive alone on the permit. We drive 80 miles to the test center only to be asked by the examiner, and his supervisor, "why are you here?". I explained that I'm registered for 28K CVGWR and need the Non-com class A license. I was told by the examiner "unless this RV is used for commercial purposes I do NOT need the class A license. It's a private, pleasure vehicle, not used in commerce or for profit. If I painted 'Kevin's French Frys' on the side then I would need the class A." We were sent on our way with an "enjoy your RV and drive safe". So we drove the 80 miles back to face my wife.....who couldn't believe it!

To be honest, I am still confused. I cannot get a straight answer from anybody. State police friends of mine are split on this also. But most have stated they would never mess with an RV like this unless it was driving erratically or some other good reason. I only hope this doesn't come back to bite me 'you know where!'.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:18 PM   #39
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slufoot733 View Post
I live in PA. This past spring I went through this issue and caused myself a lot of worry about it. I drive a 2016 F350 with a 'registered' GVWR of 11,000 (Ford rated this truck for 11,500). My Monty weighs 12,040 empty but is 'registered' at 17,000 (Keystone rated it for 16,700). 11k + 17k + 28K.

Now, with that in mind I obtained study guides and got my CDL learners permit. After studying the manuals and watching a million videos I scheduled a CDL NON commercial class A test. I enlisted a friend's help (he has a CDL) to go with me since I could drive alone on the permit. We drive 80 miles to the test center only to be asked by the examiner, and his supervisor, "why are you here?". I explained that I'm registered for 28K CVGWR and need the Non-com class A license. I was told by the examiner "unless this RV is used for commercial purposes I do NOT need the class A license. It's a private, pleasure vehicle, not used in commerce or for profit. If I painted 'Kevin's French Frys' on the side then I would need the class A." We were sent on our way with an "enjoy your RV and drive safe". So we drove the 80 miles back to face my wife.....who couldn't believe it!

To be honest, I am still confused. I cannot get a straight answer from anybody. State police friends of mine are split on this also. But most have stated they would never mess with an RV like this unless it was driving erratically or some other good reason. I only hope this doesn't come back to bite me 'you know where!'.

You should have insisted. The DMV staff usually isn't educated. I had to educate my locate office. After a little explanation, we proceeded with the pre-trip inspection, straight-line backup, pull-up and an alley dock and then the on-road drive test. It doesn't matter if it's an RV. An RV is non-commercial and it is above 26k therefore a Non-commercial Class A is required. I googled the PA DOT fact sheet and it's doesn't mention exemptions for RVs like they stated.

https://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/D...ct%20sheet.pdf
Old 01-09-2020, 05:24 PM   #40
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Here's more proof...They use an RV in the NC Class A section:

https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Servic...s/default.aspx